Jehovah`s Witness/Clarification

Hello once again Brent

Thank you for the last response!

I know you're too deep for me but clearer as it is

Now would you mind to please explain this to me again.

Previously on your response to Gordon, you gave him this link:
And then quoted: “no copies of the Septuagint dated before the mid-2nd century CE/AD substitutes the Tetragrammaton (Yahweh's name) with "Kyrios" (the Greek word Lord).”

>>So you mean to say that we are then able to or ALLOWED to use God's NAME? or even SPEAK of it?

What about this LINK right here that OPPOSES?:

And I just don't get the point of this LINK can you explain this to me also?:

Who's telling the TRUTH? Did all the disciples of Jesus followed the Tradition of Prohibition? That's why also Jesus barely used the name of God in scripture(NT)?

Looking forward

Hello Dave

Greetings from Australia. I hope this finds you well

Thank you for asking for clarification. At this stage I am not really sure what it is you want clarified.  I am assuming that I have given a wrong impression of the following quote

“Previously on your response to Gordon, you gave him this link:

From your commet - “>>So you mean to say that we are then able to or ALLOWED to use God's NAME? or even SPEAK of it? “  -  I maybe wrong here, but I get the impression that you understand these words ““no copies of the Septuagint dated before the mid-2nd century CE/AD substitutes the Tetragrammaton (Yahweh's name) with "Kyrios" (the Greek word Lord).” -  in a different way to what I was trying to show.

What the quote is saying, is that before the 2nd century the Greek Septuagint that was available to the Jews, used the Divine name.  It was well after the time of Jesus and the New Testament (NT) Bible writers that the Divine name was taken out of the Septuagint.   (The Greek Septuagint was the choice of texts by those that claimed to be Christian)

The Bible that JWs use, the NWT, is criticised for  having the modern spelling of the divine name – Jehovah – in the text of the NT.  Most of the places where the name Jehovah appears in the NWT is due to quotes from the OT. However there are places where the context strongly refers to the Almighty and the Name is used and there are a few places where context seems to suggest it.  

The reasoning I had been developing with those quotes, is that at the time the NT was written, the Divine name was in the Hebrew and Greek versions of the Old Testament (OT). So when the NT writers quoted from the OT where the Divine name  is used, we say that they also used the Divine name.  The words of Jesus support that when he said  “ And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it:” (John 17:26 JKV)  The Revised Standard Bible says “ I made known to them thy name, and I will make it known,”  Jesus clearly state that he has made known Gods name.  An important question to ask is - 'Does God want his name known?'  In my reply to Gordon, I list a number of texts that demonstrate that Jehovah wants his name known

So, for me. it stands to reason that Jesus would want to use, and teach, is disciples to use the Divine name.

The web site   just highlights the superstition that Jews  came under in regard to the Divine name. All the Hebrew writers used Gods name , but at some point in time the people who had turned away from God stopped using it.

The Jews, as a nation, had stopped worshiping God in a way that was acceptable to him.   Jesus, besides being the messiah who was to die on our behalf, had the responsibility for trying to get the Jews, as a nation. to return to worshiping Jehovah Matthew records that Jesus wanted the natural Jews to repent, but they did not so God now abandons them as a nation  - “37  O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! 38  Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. 39  For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.” (Matt 23:37-39 KJV)  The last sentence there is a quote from <Ps. 118:26</b> “Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD” -  The word “LORD” is the Divine name in the Hebrew text.

The author of the web site  assumes that the prohibition on use of the divine name would have stopped the NT writers from using it.   As shown by John 17:26 Jesus made a point of declaring Gods name.  Those that followed Christ would have followed his lead in doing so.

The author of that web site also says - “Most of the NT books were not considered scripture by their authors “ -  He quotes from other sources that say “THE BOOKS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT WHICH AT FIRST WERE NOT CONSIDERED INSPIRED” (Capitals original)  From reading that, and other quotes that the author provides, I assume that the author does not believe that the the NT writings are inspired accounts. If he does not believe the NT to be inspired, then he would see no reason for the later writers to go against the Jewish Custom of not using the Divine name.

So there is the difference that each one of us must decide.  Are the NT writings inspired of God and thus reflect Gods words for us (including the making of His name known) or are the NT writings a product of later years, not eyewitness accounts and not inspired.

So if the NT writings are eye witness accounts and inspired, why do none the texts we have contain the divine name?  We already know that among the Jews, there was opposition to the use of the divine name.  Many Jews that became followers of Christ wanted to hang onto old ways.  This is seen in the controversy over the circumcision and how long that took to be resolved.

Paul gives warning as recorded at Acts 20:29, 30 “I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among YOU and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among YOU yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.”  Did that happen. Yes it started to happen in the first century"

2 Peter 2:1, 2 “ 1 However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among YOU. These very ones will quietly bring in destructive sects and will disown even the owner that bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves. 2 Furthermore, many will follow their acts of loose conduct, and on account of these the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively. “

1 John 2:18, 19 “ 18 Young children, it is the last hour, and, just as YOU have heard that antichrist is coming, even now there have come to be many antichrists; from which fact we gain the knowledge that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But [they went out] that it might be shown up that not all are of our sort.”

Hebrews 6:4-8 “ 4 For it is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, and who have tasted the heavenly free gift, and who have become partakers of holy spirit, 5 and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, 6 but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame. 7 For example, the ground that drinks in the rain which often comes upon it, and that then brings forth vegetation suitable to those for whom it is also cultivated, receives in return a blessing from God. 8 But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is rejected and is near to being cursed; and it ends up with being burned.”

Many that had started to follow the Christ turned away,  This just continued to happen after the apostles died. History shows that in the second and third century how prominent  individuals started bringing in the influences of Greek philosophers.  

There is ample evidence that the Divine name was known of and  used in the written form after the time of Christ but it became more and more unpopular until it was completely removed from the Greek Septuagint copyists, probably because of the rivalry between the Jews and those that claimed to follow Jesus.

Personally I believe that Jesus would have used and promoted the name of his God and Father just as the ancient Bible writers did.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.