Jehovah`s Witness/An explanation to Stewart and my JW brothers.

It seems that people do not read all comments that are made on this site, and that is the biggest problem with those that oppose JWs as well, they only see the words they want to see. I do not expect it among brothers.  I apologise for not having made myself crystal clear the first time and for the tone of this reply.

First I would appreciate any people who think I have taken a false step to  follow the council of Galatians 6:1 ”Brothers, even though a man takes some false step before he is aware of it, YOU who have spiritual qualifications try to readjust such a man in a spirit of mildness”  or,  if my words upset you than that the council of Matthew 5:23, 24 “If, then, you are bringing your gift to the altar and you there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar, and go away; first make your peace with your brother, and then, when you have come back, offer up your gift.”  I wish I could have followed this advice Matthew 18:15 .“Moreover, if your brother commits a sin, go lay bare his fault between you and him alone.”  but I can not because I do not know how to contact Stewart  and it is possible what I have said has upset others as well, hence this Public letter.

If you find anything here offensive, have the decency and courtesy to approach me instead of complaining to someone else.   

Stewart if you read my comments in context I was answering a question from   Robert Jones
His questions was

“ What do you make of this recent exchange on this forum by faithful Witnesses, one of whom is claimed to work at World Headquarters? How does this square with, we don't predict, we don't even try to foretell the future, no never.  “

His comment above is in relation to me saying “Jehovah's Witnesses do not claim to be prophets ? They never have. They simply expound on things already in the Bible? 

He has been asserting that JWs prophecy in the type of prophecy that foretells the future. I have spent a lot of time debunking that idea. We are prophets ONLY in the sense of  promoting true worship.

I do not think much of public speculation of matters we have no definite 100% proof of. Speculating on possible future events is not promoting true worship. If anything it hinders true worship as can be seen from the way people keep saying we are false prophets because some speculative understanding did not happen.  I am trying to bring a balancing picture to false prophet syndrome that permeates outsiders.

I understand that it can be thrilling to try to discern what God has in store, most of us are tired in this system.  Yes Daniel sets a good example in - “searched in the book of Jeremiah to discern the number of years”.  Now what Daniel found is quite different to what has been put forth on this forum.  Jehovah had given a very definite number of years that Daniel found. “70 years”.  We have no definite number to look for. Jehovah has several number patterns.  Rutherford got caught up with the jubilee pattern and arrived at 1925 for the return of the “faithful men of old”  Then there is “70”  - 70 years in captivity, 70 weeks of years.  Yes there are several number patterns.

I fully understand the human need to know, but history shows that speculating on matters has given false hope, that disappoints

But, we have been warned about speculating on future events and to concentrate on what we DO know. My comment “Honestly, I do not think much of it “ is saying that we should not be speculating.

Ok why did I say “I personally doubt that the WTS would be so bold to publicly come out ans say such a thing. If they do, then the men that make such decisions have not learnt from past mistakes.”   Was I being disrespectful to the GB NO Why not?  Notice this advice

*** w75 6/15 pp. 379-380 Looking to the Future with Confidence ***

20 As we look to the future we have many inviting prospects ahead of us. Therefore, we have no need to speculate about details that are not supplied by the Scriptures , but, rather, to be willing to wait upon Jehovah instead of fretting or becoming disturbed over such matters. Why speculate about who will be resurrected, how children will be cared for, what type of houses will be built, whether we will use machines, and suchlike questions. If we really needed to know these things, Jehovah would have provided the answers.

21 Rather than speculating on the unknown, how much better it is to concentrate on the thrilling things the Bible does say. Foremost of these is the prospect of life with the approval of God . An earth teeming with life is what the Bible envisions. What a joy it will be to welcome back the dead! How tears of happiness will flow as loved ones are reunited! And imagine meeting firsthand the faithful servants of God mentioned in the Bible! How thrilling, too, to see our bodies ‘return to the days of our youthful vigor’! (Job 33:25) What a pleasure it will be to live in paradise with perfect food, satisfying work, companions with whom we delight to associate and, best of all, complete freedom to worship our God, Jehovah!
22 Can we really be sure that this is what the future will be like ? Indeed we can, for it is promised by Jehovah God. He will not fail to bring it to pass, for “it is impossible for God to lie.” (Heb. 6:18) Eagerly, then, we look to the events ahead with full confidence in the One who is shaping the future! (Bold and underline mine italics original)

End quote

The being sure of future events in paragraph 22 relates back to paragraph 21, to knowing Armageddon is coming, the resurrection and the earth coming back to how God originally purposed it.

Even 1975 is not 100% an assured date for the end of 6000 years since Adam was creatred.

It is based on data that is not 100% verified. Yes I have traced dates back to 4026 bc as well.  Ot assumes that the data used is correct.  Our starting point is from the best available non Witness date of 539 bc.  It is  “supported by various historical sources [not Biblical sources] as the year for the overthrow of Babylon by Cyrus the Persian. Sec”ular sources for Cyrus’ reign include Diodorus”  All currently available evidence shows that is reliable. The information we have concluded from that date “seem” to fit in with other Bible prophecies, so, we tend to rely on that date

The other problem is that there are variying lengths of years given in Genesis in the Septuagint renderings of Genesis, as well as an added generation.  The WTS publishes convincing evidence as to why they accept the shorter periods.  However, there is also convincing evidence as to reasons why the we should accepot the periods in the Septuagint.   

It is interesting to note what was recorded in 1966 about the chronology. What was the view of Brother Franz in regard to his chronology Read the words carefully for it shows that they were not 100% assured of the chronology.

*** w66 10/15 p. 631 Rejoicing over “God’s Sons of Liberty” Spiritual Feast ***
‘You have noticed the chart [on pages 31-35 in the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God]. It shows that 6,000 years of human experience will end in 1975, about nine years from now. What does that mean? Does it mean that God’s rest day began 4026 B.C.E.? It could have. The Life Everlasting book does not say it did not. The book merely presents the chronology. You can accept it or reject it . If that is the case, what does that mean to us? [He went into some length showing the feasibility of the 4026 B.C.E. date as being the beginning of God’s rest day.]”

end quote

Did you notice how it was put. - “The  feasibility of 4026 B.C.E. “  What is a feasibility  “A feasibility studies an evaluation and analysis of the potential of the proposed project which is based on extensive investigation and research” All evidence SEEMS to point to a conclusion but it is NOT a given fact.

The feasibility of  4026 B.C.E to 1975 c.e. seemed very strong. Yet this warning was given about speculating on matters in the article *** w66 10/15 p. 631 Rejoicing over “God’s Sons of Liberty” Spiritual Feast ***

“What about the year 1975? What is it going to mean, dear friends?’ asked Brother Franz. ‘Does it mean that Armageddon is going to be finished, with Satan bound, by 1975? It could! It could! All things are possible with God. Does it mean that Babylon the Great is going to go down by 1975? It could. Does it mean that the attack of Gog of Magog is going to be made on Jehovah’s witnesses to wipe them out, then Gog himself will be put out of action? It could. But we are not saying . All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don’t any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that.....Let us make the most of the time and get in all the good hard work to Jehovah while the opportunity affords ”

end quote

So there is good reason why we should not speculate, especially where opposes can used such speculation against us by trying to assert we are false fore-tellers of events. Nothing is set in concrete from a human perspective.  

There is another good reason why we are not told in the Bible when the end would come. When Jesus told of the coming destruction of Jerusalem, he did not say in "x" number of years Get out of Jerusalem because it will be destroyed. He gave signs.  Giving just signs to look for meant that his followers obey him because they wanted to. Those that survived stayed away.

And Steward if you read all of what I said you will fave noticed the analogy between collecting data for a weather forecast  (speculation) and trying to forecast (speculate) on Biblical number patterns

“Those men with the “40” pattern are using the data that they have – record written in the Bible – analysing it and making a hypothesis their best guess - as to the outcome.

If their hypothesis is correct, so what! They put the data together correctly. I am not worried about it. It is not going to terrify me or greatly effect me. If their hypothesis is correct I will rejoice that this system is closing. If it is not correct I will rejoice that Jehovah is allowing more time for people to repent.

In the mean time I will continue doing the best I can to be a follower of the Christ.”  

end quote

That last sentence I wrote, is that not just what the  “w75 6/15 pp. 379-380 Looking to the Future with Confidence “ counselled us to do - “<b>Rather than speculating on the unknown, how much better it is to concentrate on the thrilling things the Bible does say.”

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.