Jehovah`s Witness/Healing

Question
Brother D. Drake,
 Hello and hello from Germany. My question has to do with healin as in the Benny Hinn Ministries. I for one, don't believe in his ministry but my wife says she does and I need to get the record straight and I know you guys know more about the Bible than anyone else. My wife is a little mad at me as I told her the other day, if old Benny is so good; why don't he just go around to the blind academy's here and do his thing or do his dog and pony show in what ever country he's in. And then, if he has any time left, then go to all the insane institutions and heal all the crazy people. Help me out here Bro. D.

A friend waiting for a reply.
Jerome

Originally from Birmingham, Alabama
USA

Answer
Hi Jerome,
Thank you for inquiring with All Experts.

Jerome in the beginning in Jesus’ ministry he delegated this divine power of healing to others who were closely associated with him in his ministry. When the 12 apostles were sent out, and later the 70 disciples, they were empowered to cure the sick. After Pentecost of 33 C.E., certain ones, including Peter, John, Philip, and Paul, were given this divine power to heal completely; however, after Christianity became firmly rooted, and with the passing of the apostles off the scene, such “gifts of healings” also passed away. Healing was needed to prove that faith in Christ established in the first century was one of the signs of Jehovah God’s approval of the beginning congregations. These healing miracles gave more credence to Jesus’ followers that they were doing Jesus’ work. Once the congregations began growing, there was no longer a need to perform one of the miracles of healing. Here are some Biblical examples.

Matthew 10:5, 8, These twelve Jesus sent forth, giving them these orders: “Do not go off into the road of the nations, and do not enter into a Sa•mar′i•tan city - Cure sick people, raise up dead persons, make lepers clean, expel demons. YOU received free, give free. 9 Do not procure gold or silver or copper for YOUR girdle purses,

Luke 10:1, 8, 9, After these things the Lord designated seventy others and sent them forth by twos in advance of him into every city and place to which he himself was going to come - 8 “Also, wherever YOU enter into a city and they receive YOU, eat the things set before YOU, 9 and cure the sick ones in it, and go on telling them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to YOU.

Acts 3:1-16; Now Peter and John were going up into the temple for the hour of prayer, the ninth hour, 2 and a certain man that was lame from his mother’s womb was being carried, and they would daily put him near the temple door that was called Beautiful, in order to ask gifts of mercy from those entering into the temple. 3 When he caught sight of Peter and John about to go into the temple he began requesting to get gifts of mercy. 4 But Peter, together with John, gazed at him and said: “Take a look at us.” 5 So he fixed his attention upon them, expecting to get something from them. 6 However, Peter said: “Silver and gold I do not possess, but what I do have is what I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Naz•a•rene′, walk!” 7 With that he took hold of him by the right hand and raised him up. Instantly the soles of his feet and his anklebones were made firm; 8 and, leaping up, he stood up and began walking, and he entered with them into the temple, walking and leaping and praising God. 9 And all the people got sight of him walking and praising God. 10 Moreover, they began to recognize him, that this was the man that used to sit for gifts of mercy at the Beautiful Gate of the temple, and they became filled with astonishment and ecstasy at what had happened to him.
11 Well, as the man was holding onto Peter and John, all the people ran together to them at what was called Sol′o•mon’s colonnade, surprised out of their wits. 12 When Peter saw this, he said to the people: “Men of Israel, why are YOU wondering over this, or why are YOU gazing at us as though by personal power or godly devotion we have made him walk? 13 The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his Servant, Jesus, whom YOU, for YOUR part, delivered up and disowned before Pilate’s face, when he had decided to release him. 14 Yes, YOU disowned that holy and righteous one, and YOU asked for a man, a murderer, to be freely granted to YOU, 15 whereas YOU killed the Chief Agent of life. But God raised him up from the dead, of which fact we are witnesses. 16 Consequently his name, by [our] faith in his name, has made this man strong whom YOU behold and know, and the faith that is through him has given the man this complete soundness in the sight of all of YOU.

Acts 4:14; and as they were looking at the man that had been cured standing with them, they had nothing to say in rebuttal

Acts 5:15, 16; 15 so that they brought the sick out even into the broad ways and laid them there upon little beds and cots, in order that, as Peter would go by, at least his shadow might fall upon some one of them. 16 Also, the multitude from the cities around Jerusalem kept coming together, bearing sick people and those troubled with unclean spirits, and they would one and all be cured.

1 Corinthians 12:8, 9, 28, 30; 8 For example, to one there is given through the spirit speech of wisdom, to another speech of knowledge according to the same spirit, 9 to another faith by the same spirit, to another gifts of healings by that one spirit, 28 And God has set the respective ones in the congregation, first, apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; then powerful works; then gifts of healings; helpful services, abilities to direct, different tongues - Not all have gifts of healings, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they? Not all are translators, are they?

1 Corinthians13:8, 13, Love never fails. But whether there are [gifts of] prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with - Now, however, there remain faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. (When they the apostles had accomplished their purpose, those miraculous gifts would cease. But priceless qualities that are the fruitage of God’s spirit would still be manifest in the lives of true Christians.)

In some cases Jerome, outright fraud appears to be involved. For example, The Herald, a newspaper of Zimbabwe, reported on three individuals whom a famous faith healer heralded as having been cured. The paper exposed this as a fraud: “One child can still neither hear nor speak; one child was never deaf or dumb; and a woman, who was just deaf, still cannot hear.”
Really, this hope of a righteous new world is of far more value than the empty promises of faith healers. Consider Peter, a blind man living in Akumadan, Ghana. He spent a total of 26 years in different faith-healing churches in hopes that his blindness would be cured. But no faith healer opened his eyes. Then, while still attending a faith-healing church, he was contacted by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The Witnesses explained from the Bible that under God’s Kingdom a total healing of all infirmities would take place. This opened Peter’s eyes of understanding. Full of appreciation for the Bible’s wonderful truths, he became a full-time proclaimer of God’s Kingdom and has served as such for over three years! He looks forward to the time when, in a literal way, “the eyes of the blind ones will be opened, and the very ears of the deaf ones will be unstopped.”—Isaiah 35:5, 6.

Jerome what about today 2013? Faith healers in Christendom as well as in some non-Christian religions claim to perform miraculous healings. Yet, Jesus himself sternly warned against individuals who would claim to have “performed many miracles” in his name. He would say to them: “I never knew you. Get away from me, you evildoers!” (Matthew 7:22, 23, International Standard Version) So, are the supposed miracles of modern-day faith healers really an indication of God’s approval or blessing?

Consider what the Bible says about the healings performed by Jesus. By comparing that Scriptural record with the methods of faith healers today, we can readily determine whether modern-day faith healing is from God.

Jesus never used healing as a means of attracting followers or large audiences. On the contrary, he performed a number of healings out of public view. Many times he told those whom he cured to reveal the miracle to no one.—Luke 5:13, 14.

Jesus never charged money for his miracles. (Matthew 10:8) He also had an unfailing record of success. All sick ones who came to him were completely cured, and the healing did not depend on the individual’s faith. (Luke 6:19; John 5:5-9, 13) Why, Jesus even raised the dead!—Luke 7:11-17; 8:40-56; John 11:38-44.

Though he did perform those miracles, the focus of Jesus’ ministry was not on gathering converts by means of emotional sessions of miracle working. Instead, his primary work was to declare the good news of God’s Kingdom. Jesus organized his followers to become disciple makers, who would teach others about the hope of attaining perfect health under God’s Kingdom.—Matthew 28:19, 20.

Granted, some of Jesus’ first-century followers had special gifts of healing, but these were to cease. (1 Corinthians 12:29, 30; 13:8, 13) True Christians today are identified, not by acts of healing, but by the bond of self-sacrificing love. (John 13:35) Modern-day faith healing has not produced a genuine family of Christians from all races and backgrounds who are bound together by such love.

So, if some Christian’s perform miracles isn’t it from God? Remember who rules this world Jerome. Lets look at a Biblical example. Moses and Aaron appeared before Pharaoh of Egypt to request that Israel be allowed to go into the wilderness to offer sacrifices to Jehovah. As evidence of divine backing, Moses directed Aaron to throw down his rod and it became a big snake. That miracle was done by God’s power. But then the magic-practicing priests of Egypt threw down their rods and these, too, became big snakes. (Ex. 7:8-12) By whose power did they perform their miracle?—Compare Deuteronomy 18:10-12.

In the 20th century some faith healing is performed in services conducted by the clergy of Christendom. Among non-Christian religions there are voodoo priests, witch doctors, medicine men, and others who also do healing; they often employ magic and divination. Some “psychic healers” say that their cures have nothing to do with religion. In all these instances, does the healing power come from the true God?

Matthew 24:24: “False Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs [“miracles,” TEV] and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.”
Matthew 7:15-23: “Be on the watch for the false prophets . . . Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works [“miracles,” JB, NE, TEV] in your name?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness.”

In contrast with modern-day faith healers, who often blame the sick for lack of faith when no healing occurs, Jesus healed even some who had not yet put faith in him. For example, once Jesus approached a blind man uninvited and cured him. Later, Jesus asked him: “Are you putting faith in the Son of man?” The man replied: “Who is he, sir, that I may put faith in him?” Jesus told him: “He that is speaking with you is that one.”—John 9:1-7, 35-38.
Lastly Jerome, Over the years, some in the medical profession have examined the claims of religious healers. What have they found? According to the Daily Telegraph of London, a doctor in England who spent 20 years investigating the subject said: “Charismatic reports of miraculous healing are not supported by a single piece of medical evidence.” Yet, many people sincerely believe that they have been cured by the power of relics, shrines, or religious healers. Could they have been victims of deception?

In his famous Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said that religious impostors would say to him: “Lord, Lord, did we not . . . perform many powerful works in your name?” Yet, he would reply: “I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness.” (Matthew 7:22, 23) Regarding the source of the power that such ones claim to have, the apostle Paul warned: “The lawless one’s presence is according to the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and portents and with every unrighteous deception.”—2 Thessalonians 2:9, 10.
Furthermore, “healings” associated with religious relics, idols, and images cannot originate with God. Why not? Because God’s Word clearly commands: “Flee from idolatry,” and “Guard yourselves from idols.” (1 Corinthians 10:14; 1 John 5:21) Such “healings” are part of the Devil’s ruse to draw people away from true worship. The Bible says: “Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light.”—2 Corinthians 11:14.

Jerome when you talk to your wife, show her with love the information presented here. Also show her that healing miracles now do not need to happen in lieu of how much money or faith you need. The Bible is a wonderful source of true knowledge. Pray for guidance and you may get a knock on your door.

Jehovah`s Witness

Dr. DDD,M.S.,Psy.D, Court Officer