Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus

In Revelation 3:14 it says that Jesus Is The Beginning Of The Creation Of God.
Why Do You and Fellow JW's believe that this means that Jesus was the first thing created? It does not go along with the ancient Greek meaning.  
Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words: The word for beginning is Arche in the GREEK TEXT. It means power, magistrate, and ruler. In Luke 12: 11 it translates the plural of the same word as governmant officials in NWT. It is the root of our words archbishop, architect and other words refering to someone who is chief of others.
The real meaning of the text is that Jesus is the Ruler of God's Creation.

It is true that “arche” is sometimes translated as ruler. But that is not the primary meaning. Depending on the context most times “arche” is translated as “beginning,” even in versions of the Bible that have a heavy trinitarian bias.

For example, John 1:1 uses the same Greek word and virtually every English version renders it “in the beginning.” Colossians 1:18 uses the Greek “arche” and again most Bibles render it as “beginning,” in reference to Jesus. In fact, most translations translate “arche” as beginning at Revelation 3:14. By no means is the New World Translation the only one. Here are a few links to online Bible’s and Revelation 3:14:  English Standard Version, American Standard Version, New King James Version.  

Apparently the only popular English translation the translates the word in question as ruler is the New International Version. (NIV)

The simple truth is Jesus is the beginning of the creation by God. He is the firstborn of all creation. He is the only begotten son of Jehovah; meaning, he is the only person brought into existence that was directly created by God, because after his creation God then empowered his firstborn son to create everything else. That is why we read in Genesis, for example, that God invited another person to join him in creation saying: “let us make man in our image.”

Here is a link to an article on my website discussing the topic of Jesus as the only-begotten Son.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Robert King

I can answer general Bible questions or questions regarding the teachings of the Watchtower Society, and questions and issues among Jehovah's Witnesses. Special interest is in Bible prophecy and the return of Christ.

Have been a pioneer minister of Jehovah's Witnesses during the 80's and an appointed elder for about 10 years. Also, I was an approved "expert" on All Experts some years ago, but could not keep up with the questions. I was disfellowshipped for exposing the Watchtower's 10-year partnership with the United Nations and for publishing the book Jehovah Himself Has Become King.

The Jerusalem above

Self published a 500+ page book called Jehovah Himself Has Become King, which is an in-depth exploration of Bible prophecy.

Always a pupil, always a teacher