Jehovah`s Witness/Walking in spirit

Question
What does "walking in spirit" mean?

Answer
Hello and thank you for writing!  It's good to ask questions and want to know about Jehovah in order to please him.

What does Walking in or by spirit mean?

Put simply, it means that you do not lean upon your own understanding (Prov 3:5,6) but you lean upon God's understanding and live your life according to His Will and not your own.

Gal 5:16 "But I say, Keep walking by spirit and you will carry out no fleshly desire at all."

That involves cultivating the fruitages of God's spirit at Gal 5:22,23.  If we live our lives putting Jehovah's will first, we'll be walking by spirit.  

As we "keep walking by spirit," Godís active force will motivate us to obey Jehovah. We will display godly qualities in our ministry, in the congregation, at home, and elsewhere. The spiritís fruitage will be evident in our dealings with our marriage mate, our children, our fellow believers, and others.

Gal 5:22,23 broken down:

LOVE - often involves strong affection and unselfish concern for others, coupled with warm attachment to them. The Scriptures say that "God is love" because he is the very epitome of that quality. The great love of God and his Son for mankind is exemplified in the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ. (1 John 4:8; John 3:16; 15:13; Romans 5:8).  If we allow Godís spirit to produce love within us, that quality will exist in our relationships with God and neighbor. (Matt 22:37-39)

JOY - is a state of great happiness. Jehovah is "the happy God." (1 Tim 1:11; Psalm 104:31).  God-given joy brings us deep satisfaction when we do the divine will even in times of hardship, sorrow, or persecution. What happiness "the very knowledge of God" brings us! (Prov 2:1-5) Our joyous relationship with God is based on accurate knowledge and faith in him and in Jesusí ransom sacrifice. (1 John 2:1, 2).

PEACE - is a state of tranquillity and freedom from disturbance. Our heavenly Father is the God of peace, and we are given the assurance: "Jehovah himself will bless his people with peace." (Psalm 29:11; 1 Cor 14:33).  The peace that Jesus gave his disciples calmed their hearts and minds and allayed their fears. Especially did they have peace when they received the promised holy spirit. (John 14:26) Under the spiritís influence and in answer to our prayers today, we enjoy the incomparable "peace of God," which puts our heart and mind at rest. (Phil 4:6,7) Moreover, Jehovahís spirit helps us to be calm and peaceable with fellow believers and others. (Romans 12:18; 1 Thes 5:13).

LONG SUFFERING - The quality of long-suffering helps us to endure when others say or do unkind or thoughtless things. Paul urged fellow Christians: "Be long-suffering toward all." (1 Thes 5:14) Since all of us are imperfect and make mistakes, surely we want people to be patient with us, to be long-suffering when we err in our dealings with them. Let us therefore make it a point to "be long-suffering with joy." (Col 1:9-12).

KINDNESS - is displayed when we show interest in others by means of friendly and helpful words and acts. Jehovah is kind, and so is his Son. (Romans 2:4; 2 Cor 10:1).  Kindness can be shown even if we have justifiably become angry because of someoneís hurtful words or inconsiderate actions. "Be wrathful, and yet do not sin," said Paul. "Let the sun not set with you in a provoked state, neither allow place for the Devil. . . . Become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave you." (Ephesians 4:26, 27, 32) It is especially fitting to display kindness toward those experiencing trials.

GOODNESS - is virtue, moral excellence, or the quality or state of being good. God is good in the absolute sense. (Psalm 25:8; Zech 9:17).  Our ability to do good is hindered because of inherited sin. (Romans 5:12) Nevertheless, we can display this quality if we pray that God Ďteach us goodness.í (Psalm 119:66).  If we are led by Godís spirit, we will become known for goodness, and Jehovah will Ďremember us for the good we do.í (Nehemiah 5:19; 13:31).

FAITH - "is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld." (Heb. 11:1) If we have faith, we are certain that everything Jehovah promises is as good as done. The convincing evidence of unseen realities is so strong that faith is said to be equivalent to that evidence. For instance, the existence of created things convinces us that there is a Creator. That is the kind of faith we will display if we keep walking by spirit.

Lack of faith is "the sin that easily entangles us." (Hebrews 12:1) We need to rely on Godís spirit in order to avoid works of the flesh, materialism, and false teachings that can destroy faith. (Col 2:8; 1 Tim 6:9, 10; 2 Tim 4:3-5).

MILDNESS - Mildness is gentleness in temperament and behavior. One of Godís attributes is mildness of temper. We know this because Jesus, who was a mild-tempered man, perfectly reflected Jehovahís personality. (Matt 11:28-30; John 1:18; 5:19).  All of us can contribute to Christian unity and peace by displaying "lowliness of mind and mildness." (Ephesians 4:1-3) We can exhibit mildness if we consistently walk by spirit and exercise self-control.

SELF CONTROL - enables us to keep our thoughts, speech, and actions in check. All who are led by holy spirit can exercise self-control and can thus avoid immorality, vulgar speech, or anything else that could result in Jehovahís disapproval. If we allow Godís spirit to produce self-control within us, this will be apparent to others because of our godly speech and conduct.

If we walk by spirit, we will be zealous Kingdom proclaimers. (Acts 18:24-26).  In this world under Satanís control, it is not easy to walk by spirit. (1 John 5:19) Nevertheless, millions are doing so today. If we trust in Jehovah with all our heart, we will enjoy life now and will be able to keep on walking forever in the righteous ways of the loving Provider of holy spirit.(Psalm 128:1; Prov. 3:5, 6)

Enjoy your Day!

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T