Jehovah`s Witness/Bro. DW and Bro D Drake

Brother Hepburn

Do you read the Allexperts board very often?  I was wondering what you thought of some of the long  answers by Bro. DW and Bro D Drake have made recently.  Much of what was said sounded familiar so I did searches of phrases in the WT Library CD and found that they are quoting a lot of material straight of the CD and presenting it as their own without acknowledging that it is someone else’s work. Is not that called plagiarism?

Hello  Andrew

It is nice to know that people actually read this form besides the ones that ask questions.

I tend to go through periods where I read what others say and then I get busy and do not look at the board for some time.

The Watchtower publications have a wealth of material in them.   When I have to use that material I will will try to use the ideas or thought and do extra research and present my answers in my own words.  At times I find that I have to use quotes from “Watchtower publications” because they answer a particular point better than I can but,  as far as I am aware, I always mention it is a quote. (I hope I do anyway)

If those Brothers and other do not mention that they are using direct quotes form the publications, that is their conscience.   If it really bothers you, perhaps you should write and ask them why they do not acknowledge where they get their material.

EDIT 29 June 2013

I went and had a look at some of he answers by the Men involved and yes I can see that they have at times used large portions form Watchtower material with out giving credit to where the material was from.  I also went back and looked at some of my past answers, and to my horror I found I have fallen into the same trap. I will now make a determined effort form now on to acknowledge  any direct quotes as nor being my thoughts.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.