Jehovah`s Witness/No Hell?

Mr. Jones, Is it true that JW's don't believe in Hell? If the "soul" ceases to exist after death, what would stop anyone from doing what doesn't please God/ Jehovah?

How does the Paradise teaching work for the people that are dead now? Do they get a new body? If the soul ceases to exist, how would they be risen?

Jehovah's Witnesses do not have the traditional belief that hell is a hot place of torment. JWs believe that hell is the common grave of all humans and not a fiery place where the dead are tortured.

JWs further believe that the threat of being burned for eternity is not a proper motivation for serving Jehovah. Conversely, JWs DO have a motivating belief of not wanting to be destroyed eternally at armageddon. The destroyed at armageddon avoidance belief serves as a replacement motivator for the more traditional burn in hell fear.

The paradise teaching says that dead people resurrected on earth will not have the exact same body, certainly not the same cells and molecules of their previous body. The teaching says that they will have a similar body, a recognizable body by all who knew them. In that sense, yes, they get a new body, a perfect body re-created by Jehovah or by Jehovah's helpers.

The soul rises in the sense that the breath of life is given to the new body. The body is not the risen soul, but the breath of life into the new body = the risen soul.

I hope that these short explanations help a bit. I am not much for going on and on ad nauseam with proofs/ counter proofs.
Robert J

Jehovah`s Witness

Robert Jones

1. How the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is stuctured, how it operates, and how it exercises control over its members. 2. What Jehovah's Witnesses believe, why, and who determines doctrine.

It is a waste of time to argue with Jehovah's Witnesses or to present lists of scriptural proofs to show where they are in error. Jehovah's Witnesses listen only the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" and immediately accept changes that come through the pages of The Watchtower magazine.

I survived 1975. For 32 years, from 1968 to 2000, I embraced and promoted everything coming through Jehovah's sole channel of communication, the "Faithful and Discreet Slave." I accepted doctrinal changes as "new light", meat in due season, from the Slave Class.

Was an elder the last 13 years, WT Study Conductor, Congregation Secretary, Book Study Conductor, and occasional Pioneer. Never "irregular" or "inactive" as the labels go. I have not been reproved or disfellowshipped. I no longer attend meetings or practice the religion. I have not started smoking, drinking, gambling, using drugs, or had any sort of emotional breakdown. How silly.

I am not a servant of the "Faithful and Discreet Slave", the WTBTS, or any other man-made organization. I hope to explain, not defend, the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses. I believe in universal truths such as kindness, humility, charity, and love. I do not believe that God selected a special group, the Jews or CT Russell followers for example, to receive a special message or blessing. I do not believe that one religion has it all right and therfore other religions are wrong. I believe it is a delusion for one group of humans to claim that "God chose us and therefore God did not choose you." I consider spirituality to be a personal endeavor that each person must discover for themselves.

Degree in Computer Programming. Not applicable here.