Jehovah`s Witness/What is more important?

Question
Hello Brother from South America (Uraguay)
I am a born again Christian via the Catholic church. I have been tolling with this question for sometime and thought I would present it to you for an explanation. If one puts their mateerial possessions before their obligation to God and Church; are they damned for this action? Or, does it matter to God.

Answer
Hi Tommy,

Thank you for inquiring with All Experts. I don’t know how familiar you are with the Bible, but there was a man, King Solomon who was one of the richest men on earth when he wrote Ecclesiastes. (2 Chronicles. 9:22) He had the means to acquire anything he wanted. “Anything that my eyes asked for I did not keep away from them,” he wrote. (Ecclesiastes. 2:10) Nevertheless, he discovered that possessions do not in themselves bring satisfaction. “A mere lover of silver will not be satisfied with silver, neither any lover of wealth with income,” he concluded.—Ecclesiastes. 5:10.

King Solomon was not just a mere man with money. His wealth amassed riches and glory. Solomon engaged extensively in trade. His fleet, in cooperation with Hiram’s, brought in great quantities of gold from Ophir, as well as “algum” timbers and precious stones. (1Kings 9:26-28; 10:11; 2Chronicles 8:17, 18; 9:10, 11) Horses and chariots were imported from Egypt, and traders from all over the world of that time brought their goods in abundance. Solomon’s annual revenue of gold came to be 666 talents (c. $256,643,000), aside from silver and gold and other items brought in by merchants. (1Kings 10:14, 15; 2Chronicles 9:13, 14)

Additionally, “all the kings of the earth” brought gifts yearly from their lands: gold and silver articles, balsam oil, armor, horses, mules, and other riches. (1Kings 10:24, 25, 28, 29; 2Chronicles 9:23-28) Even apes and peacocks were imported in ships of Tarshish. (1Kings 10:22; 2Chronicles 9:21) Solomon came to have 4,000 stalls of horses and chariots (1Kings 10:26 says 1,400 chariots) and 12,000 steeds (or, possibly, horsemen).—2Chronicles 9:25.
There was no king in all the earth who possessed the riches of Solomon. (1Kings 10:23; 2Chronicles 9:22) The approach to his throne exceeded in magnificence anything in other kingdoms. The throne itself was of ivory overlaid with fine gold. It had a round canopy behind it; six steps led up to it, with six lions on each side, and two lions stood beside the throne’s armrests. (1Kings 10:18-20; 2Chronicles 9:17-19) For his drinking vessels only gold was used; it is specifically stated that “there was nothing of silver; it was considered as nothing at all in the days of Solomon.” (2Ch 9:20) There were harps and stringed instruments in Solomon’s house and in the temple that were made from algum timbers such as had never been seen before in Judah.—1Ki 10:12; 2Ch 9:11.

The daily food for Solomon’s royal household amounted to “thirty measures [6,600 Liters; 188 bushels of fine flour and sixty cor measures [13,200 Liters; 375 bushels] of flour, ten fat cattle and twenty pastured cattle and a hundred sheep, besides some stags and gazelles and roebucks and fattened cuckoos.” (1Kings 4:22, 23) Twelve deputies supervised the supplying of food, one deputy for each month of the year. They each had supervision of a portion of the land; for this purpose it was not divided according to the tribal boundaries but according to agricultural growing regions. Included in the supplies was provender for Solomon’s many horses.—1Ki 4:1-19, 27, 28.

Now lets look at today Tommy. Despite the fleeting value of possessions, wealth can still exert a powerful attraction. In a recent survey in the United States, 75 percent of all first-year university students described their principal goal in life as being “financially very well off.” Even if they reached their goal, would they be truly happy? Not necessarily. Researchers have noted that an emphasis on materialism is, in fact, a hindrance to happiness and satisfaction. As we read prior, a long time ago, Solomon had already reached that same conclusion. He wrote: “I accumulated also silver and gold for myself, and property peculiar to kings . . . And, look! everything was vanity and a striving after wind.” (Eccl. 2:8, 11) In contrast, if we use our life to serve Jehovah wholeheartedly and thus receive his blessing, we will obtain true riches.

Proverbs 10:22. The blessing of Jehovah—that is what makes rich, and he adds no pain with it.

(Matthew 6:19-21) “Stop storing up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Rather, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

(Matthew 6:33, 34)“Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [other] things will be added to YOU. 34 So, never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Sufficient for each day is its own badness.

“On the matter of clothing,” Jesus asked, “why are you anxious? Take a lesson from the lilies of the field, how they are growing; they do not toil, nor do they spin; but I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these.”—Matthew 6:28, 29.

The lesson for us today Tommy? Those who serve God can be sure that he will help them to obtain the necessities even in difficult times. Jesus explained: “Seek continually [God’s] kingdom, and these things [such as the needed food and clothing] will be added to you.” (Luke 12:31) Yes, real benefits come from seeking God’s Kingdom. But do you know what God’s Kingdom is and what it will do for mankind? Jehovah’s Witnesses would be delighted to help you find the answers from the Bible.

Jehovah`s Witness

Dr. DDD,M.S.,Psy.D, Court Officer