Jehovah`s Witness/What Lies or False things do you find with the Trinity?

Question
Do you believe in the Doctrine of the Trinity such as those of the Baptist Born-Agains Christians,Christian Catholics,and others of Christendom do? I mean if you don't, what lies or false reasoning behind this teaching they all have in common with, do you find fault in? Thank you,and I look forward to hearing from you sir!  

Tom

Answer
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your question.

This is only a brief reply because there are so many aspects of this subject.  Each  so called trinity proof text needs to be pulled apart and examined in light of the original writtings.

I brief, I find all of the teachings of the trinity false.   What the  various religions  teach  is based on incorrect Bible translation.  They are teaching from a faulty platform to start with.  However the Trinity idea has become so entrenched in “Christian” thinking that when a plain text states something different to their “cor” belief those that hold it so strongly can  not see the truth .  Basically the who idea of the the trinity is a lie that crept into the Christian thinking starting in the second century and in the fourth century a “formula” for it was finally proposed.  This formula has effected Bible translations since then.

Many Bibles to some degree have rendered verses into English to support that idea.  There are also some Bible verses that are disputed among scholars as to whether they were tampered with in the past in some of the early manuscripts that the modern Bibles are rendered from.  So many of the old manuscripts do not always agree, and then it becomes a matter of theological bias as to how to render them.

The idea of the trinity is based on the idea that there are three separate and distinct individuals that make up the “God head”.  What is generally taught is that there is one GOD but 3 individuals that make up this one God.  I have heard God refereed to as a “committee”  of three. The three are all equal and have always excited.

There are some that say that the believe the “trinity” but actually believe in “Modalism” “Modalism  is the belief that the Heavenly Father, Resurrected Son and Holy Spirit are different modes or aspects of one monadic God, as perceived by the believer, rather than three distinct persons within the Godhead “  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabellianism

The early Bible students that were the nucleus of what we today call Jehovah's Witnesses  perceived from the Bible that there was a distinct difference between God and his Son Jesus.  They did this while studying the King James Bible

There are however a few texts that are quite clear that show that Jesus did not always exist.  These are from the Authorised king James Version

John 14:28 “Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I .”

There Jesus says that in the heavens where he is going, the Father is greater than he

John 20:17 ‘ but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father , and your Father ; and to my God , and  your God .”

Again Jesus  is saying that HIS GOD is the same GOD that his followers had.

After Jesus was resurrected and returned to heaven the Apostle Paul tells us that Jesus in in subjection to the father, therefore they can not be equal.  Note the line “of command” in the next verse

1 Corinthians 11:3 “ But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God .”

Notice what Paul writes to the Ephesians

Ephesians 1:17 “That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ , the Father of glory,”

and again
Colossians 1:3  “We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,”

So those few texts show that Jesus had a God.  The next couple show that Jesus had a beginning.

Colossians 1:15 “Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature :”

The apostle John in the book of Revelation calls Jesus ..  “the beginning of the creation of God” Revelation 3:14

The trinity teaches that the holy spirit is a person.  Most translation will then use the personal masculine  pronoun “he” or “him” to refer to the spirit.  The truth is, in the original writtings, the spirit is ,always refereed to in the neuter gender “it” or “which”.  The Greek word pneuma (spirit) is always in the neuter gender. No where is  ever refereed to in the masculine gender.  Here is an example from the KJ Bible where the holy spirit is wrongly refereed to in a masculine way. (Most Bibles  wrongly use the masculine pronouns in this verse)

John 14:17  “Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him : but ye know him ; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.”

In the Greek the 4 times the personal pronoun is used in the verse it is in the neuter gender and should be rendered as “it” as per this Greek to English translation “the spirit of the truth, which the world not is able to receive, because not it beholds it , nor knows it ; you but know it , because with you it abides, and in you it will be.

The Greek word rendered into English as spirit is  pneuma  has the basic meaning of breath or wind. Now we can not see the air, our breath or wind but we can see the effects of them. They are invisile to us but when a wind blows we can see it moving leaves and branches on trees, or perhaps even uprooting trees. So, our breath and wind are invisible “forces”. That is why the Hebrew and Greek words are applicable to the invisible realm of God and angels etc. They are all invisible “forces” with personality.  Some are for good and then there are the “evil” ones like Satan and his demons.

J.H. Thayer's “A Greek – English Lexicon of the New Testament”  has quite a lot to say about the word spirit (pneuma). Bellow is some of what he says

“movement of air (gentle) blast; a. of the wind:..... the vital principle by which the body is animated....the rational spirit, the power by which a human being feels, thinks, wills, decides ... The Scriptures also ascribe a pneu/ma to God, i. e. God's power and agency.....universally, the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of anyone; the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire

“A Greek – English Lexicon” by H. G Liddell and R Scott gives the following

“a wind, blast,  etc....  with more genial breeze or influence,....  breathed air, breath, the breath of life to collect breath “

Strongs Greek Lexicon says

“current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze; ...  vital principle, mental disposition

(As a side note here, I find it interesting the use of words such as “power” “animated” “source of power”, and “Gods Power and agency”. Many people complain that JWs refer to Gods spirit as his active force the definitions certainly allow for that understanding)

When the Bible speaks of the holy spirit . It is not referring to a person but to the vital force that God uses to accomplish his will.

But the holy spirit is said to hear and teach and be a helper, doe that not suggest a person?

The Bible often uses “personified” speech in referring to inanimate things  have no personality as doing something that only a personality could do.  Here are a few examples

In Luke 7:35, wisdom is said to have children “But wisdom is justified of all her children.”
In Romans 5:14,17,21 we find death and sin ruling as kings  “ 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam’s transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. .. 17  For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; … 21  That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

If you look up these texts you will see examples of individuals being filled with holy spirit  Acts 4:8; 9:17; 11:22, 24; 13:9.  Keep in mind the meanings above and we see that what these are saying is that Gods “breath” or his vital force is what “fills” these ones in order to carry on Gods will.  It is not a person that fills each individual.

So because most Bible today do not give correct renderings of the original writings, the whole idea of the trinity is wrongly taught as Bible truth.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn