Jehovah`s Witness/Possessions of Wealth

Question
Greetings from Uraguay,
I am attending the meetings here in Uraguay and being a former Catholic Priest for over 30 years,(now retired) I find the meetings refreshing as well as giving those that will listen, hope. This is my 3rd month attending the meetings after receiving an invitation to the Memorial and attending. What a drastic change from the way we do things in the Church.
I have noticed at the meetings that the Witnesses put all the emphasies on spiritual things and not the material things of the world. I can understand the reasoning (I guess)but I wonder how Witnesses people can ever save for retirement as well as making enough money to send their children to College?
Thank you for your time.

Blessings,
Tom Land
Formely of Lansing, Michigan

Answer
Hello bro

Thank's for writing.

As Jehovah's witnesses we don't really put much emphasis on further education.Although we recognize the value of supporting ourselves and what the Bible has to say on the subject.

2 Thess 3:

10 "If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat"

However generally we are very good with money and saving money.

For me personally I was brought up as a witness and I paid for my own college with money I had saved. I went part time to college so I could get a trade and support myself and my future family.

I can't really speak for anyone else that's just my own personal experience.

To be perfectly honest it's striking a balance. We know the kingdom come's first that's an absolute given

Matt 6:

33  "Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [other] things will be added to YOU"

On the other hand we are expected to provide for ourselves and our family

1 Tim 5:

8 "Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith"

Do we need to go to college to do that?? If we put Jehovah first he will make sure we'll be just fine.(matt 6:33)

Follow up if you need

Take Care  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW