Jehovah`s Witness/Rev

Question
QUESTION: Good day

Can you please commment on these two verses for me; Rev 8:10 and Rev 9:1. Why does the Society say that the star that had fallen is Jesus in Rev 9? Would you not say that the star in question is the very one that is mentioned in Rev 8:10?

In Revelations 1 we are told that the stars are the anointed Christians and in Rev 12 it is said that the dragon dragged a third of the stars to earth, is that not referring to the anointed?

I am having difficulties in understanding the Societies stand on these verses. In the Climax book it is said that the fallen stars in Rev 12 are those in Noah's days, was not Revelations written about the things about to take place and not history?

Thank you

ANSWER: REV 8:10 AND REV 9:1.

At Revelation 9:1 the vision reveals a star coming down to the earth. This star has a key in his hand. The star is Jehovah’s newly installed heavenly King, Jesus Christ.

(Numbers 24:17) I shall see him, but not now; I shall behold him, but not near. A star will certainly step forth out of Jacob, And a sceptre will indeed rise out of Israel. And he will certainly break apart the temples of Moab's [head] And the cranium of all the sons of tumult of war.

(Revelation 22:16) “‘I, Jesus, sent my angel to bear witness to you people of these things for the congregations. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star.’”
---

Whereas Rev 8; 10 is speaking about Satan—

(Isaiah 14:12) “O how you have fallen from heaven, you shining one, son of the dawn! How you have been cut down to the earth, you who were disabling the nations!

(Luke 10:18) At that he said to them: “I began to behold Satan already fallen like lightning from heaven.

(2 Corinthians 11:14) And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light.

IN REVELATIONS 1 WE ARE TOLD THAT THE STARS ARE THE ANOINTED CHRISTIANS AND IN REV 12 IT IS SAID THAT THE DRAGON DRAGGED A THIRD OF THE STARS TO EARTH, IS THAT NOT REFERRING TO THE ANOINTED?

In Revelation, chapters 1 through 3, the context shows that such “stars” refer to persons who are obviously living on earth and undergoing earthly experiences and temptations, these “stars” being responsible for congregations under their care.—Re 1:20; 2:1, 8, 12, 18; 3:1, 7, 14.

(Matthew 5:16) Likewise let your light shine before men, that they may see YOUR fine works and give glory to your Father who is in the heavens.

(Philippians 2:15) that you may come to be blameless and innocent, children of God without a blemish in among a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you are shining as illuminators in the world”
----

Whereas Rev 12—again taken in context; Stars in this instance represent angels. (Job 38:7) Mention of “a third” would emphasize that a considerable number of angels have been misled by Satan. Once these came under his control, there was no escape for them. They could not return to God’s holy organization. They became demons, dragged along, as it were, by Satan their king, or ruler. (Matthew 12:24)

(Genesis 6:2) then the sons of the [true] God began to notice the daughters of men, that they were good-looking; and they went taking wives for themselves, namely, all whom they chose.

(Job 38:7) When the morning stars joyfully cried out together, And all the sons of God began shouting in applause?

(2 Corinthians 11:15) It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works.

THE FALLEN STARS IN REV 12 ARE THOSE IN NOAH'S DAYS, WAS NOT REVELATIONS WRITTEN ABOUT THE THINGS ABOUT TO TAKE PLACE AND NOT HISTORY?

These are spoken about merely to explain who these “stars” were that would be thrown out of heaven with Satan in the “future”

The “great fiery-coloured dragon, with seven heads and ten horns,” having a tail that draws “a third of the stars of heaven” after him, were first induced to materialize as humans before the Flood and then becoming demons. (Re 12:3, 4; Jude 6)

However Satan & these “disobedient angels” were not thrown down to earth back then “history”; they were threw down to earth in the “future”.  

“So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan.” (Re 12:7-9)

When John wrote the book of revelation in 98c.e. Satan & the disobedient angles were still in heaven, so he wrote about a “future” time when they would be removed from heaven & thrown down to the earth.

A scripture must be taken in CONTEXT to arrive at the correct understanding, we cannot assume that the word "star" for instance will automatically be speaking about the same person or thing, it has to be taken in context, there are many uses of the word "star" in the bible, literally & figuratively.

www.jw.org

QUESTION: Hi Brenda

Please take a look at Rev 9:1 again, it says "the star that had fallen" - did Jesus ever fall?

Answer
John sees “a star that HAD FALLEN from heaven” and that now has an assignment with respect to this earth.

Past tense; Jesus had fallen from heaven in the sense that, previously he gave up his heavenly home & came to earth as a human.

If you read on--Revelation 9:11, tells us that the locusts have “a king, the angel of the abyss.” Both verses must refer to the same individual, since the angel holding the key of the abyss would logically be the angel of the abyss. And the star must symbolize Jehovah’s appointed King, since anointed Christians acknowledge only the one angelic King, Jesus Christ.—Colossians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 15:25.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin