Jehovah`s Witness/144.000

Why do JWs believe only 144.000 people will go to heaven?

Hello Mandi

Greetings from Australia and thank you for your question.

The simple basic answer as to why we believe only 144,000 go to heaven is that their purpose is to be “kings and priests” (Jesus being the high priest Hebrews 2:17 “that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.” Hebrews 3:1 “Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;”)   and to be joint (co ruler’s with Jesus) over the earth. The Bible texts for this are  (taken from the King James Bible)

Revelayation 1:6 “And hath made us kings and priests unto God

Revelation 5:10 “And hast made us unto our God kings and priests:“

Revelation 14:1-3 “And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand , having his Father’s name written in their foreheads. 2  And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: 3  And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth .

These one  “redeemed from the earth” are to be joint heirs with Christ for the Kingdom Romans 8:17 “And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ;”

Just because only a sect number are said to go to heaven that does not mean that the rest of mankind are left with no hope. The Bible promises "salvation" for all mankind if they want it and want to obey God. Gods original purpose for the earth is for man to live on it without dieing.  The only reason we have death is because Adam sinned (Romans 5:12 “ Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned”)

Gods purpose is if the meek to inherit the earth (Matthew 5:5 “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.”)   Gods purpose is to restore the earth to its original condition (Revelation 21:3-5 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death , neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 5  And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new . And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.”

So the roll of the 144,00 is to rule with Jesus and be priests during the 1000 year reign of Jesus until mankind is brought back to perfection and the death that Adam cause us all to have is done away with.  After that time Jesus hands back the kingdom to his Father.

1 Corinthians 15: 24-28 24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25  For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26  The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27  For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28  And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.”

To learn more detail the link below is the official  Jehovah's Witness web site on line library and I have put in the search criteria for 144,000 and  paradise  so that you you can see more information.  There is a lot of reading there.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.