Jehovah`s Witness/2015?

Question
QUESTION: Hello Sir,if you would be so kind to explain this idea of 2015 in view of the Lord saying no one knows the day or hour.Mr Derrick Holland recommended you to answer this question.Since I questioned him I asked my Brother who is a member of your religion here in Los Angles about this theory he said yes he heard about it but would not discuss it with me at this time.I then called another family member in Alaska and asked him about had he heard of this date and he also said yes that it's based on the number 40 and thats all he would say.Mr Holland said it begins in 1975,was not that date was a prediction of the end of the world.I know it was because my departed Grand Dad spoke of it when we were in our teens.I googled 1975 and the witnesses and nothing was found on a correlation between 1975 and 2015.So thats my question why 1975 is the start date?

ANSWER: Good afternoon Ace,

Thank you for inquiring with All Experts. Please provide information where it says the Jehovah's Witnesses and or the Watchtower Bible and Society publicly firmly believed that 1975 was the end-of-the-world. Lets begin there with your question.

Please go to www.jw.org for more information

Sincerely, Agape, and Philia,

Bro. D.Drake Delaurentos

QUESTION: I dont have a copy of it but when I lived in Cleveland the headline in the Cleveland Plain Dealer said the Jehovahs Witnesses say the End of the World soon,that was in the summer of 1975 well over 30 years or so ago,it was on the front page of our paper.

If I recall they interviewed an official of your religion who made that statement who had a convention at the Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

Answer
Hi Ace,

That's fair enough even though I consider it hearsay. Just kidding.

Speculation of 1975 and the six thousand year that man has been on earth was widely spread that the end was its fulfillment. In no publication was this ever mentioned about Armageddon coming on 1975. This was widely spread throughout the organization unofficially.

In the Awake of June 22, 1995, page 9 Can You Trust God’s Promises?

Bible Students, known since 1931 as Jehovah’s Witnesses, also expected that the year 1925 would see the fulfillment of marvelous Bible prophecies. They surmised that at that time the earthly resurrection would begin, bringing back faithful men of old, such as Abraham, David, and Daniel. More recently, many Witnesses conjectured that events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign might start to take place in 1975. Their anticipation was based on the understanding that the seventh millennium of human history would begin then.

These erroneous views did not mean that God’s promises were wrong, that he had made a mistake. By no means! The mistakes or misconceptions, as in the case of first-century Christians, were due to a failure to heed Jesus’ caution, ‘You do not know the time.’ The wrong conclusions were due, not to malice or to unfaithfulness to Christ, but to a fervent desire to realize the fulfillment of God’s promises in their own time.

Consequently, A. H. Macmillan explained later: “I learned that we should admit our mistakes and continue searching God’s Word for more enlightenment. No matter what adjustments we would have to make from time to time in our views, that would not change the gracious provision of the ransom and God’s promise of eternal life.”

Indeed, God’s promises can be trusted! It is humans who are prone to error. Therefore, true Christians will maintain a waiting attitude in obedience to Jesus’ command. They will keep awake and ready for Christ’s inevitable coming as God’s Executioner. They will not allow false predictions to dull their senses and cause them to ignore the true warning of the world’s end.

In the 2000 Year Book pages 196-197 Czech Republic ***

“Six Thousand Years of Human Existence”

In 1969 the Watchtower magazine in Czech began publishing a series of articles based on the book Life Everlasting—In Freedom of the Sons of God. Chapter 1, under the subheading “Six Thousand Years of Human Existence Closing,” contained an explanation of the Jubilee and of Bible chronology. This material influenced some in a positive way; it also led to many questions and much speculation.

The office in Czechoslovakia sent a letter dated February 22, 1972, to all congregations. It set out a lengthy explanation of reasons why we should not make any definite assertions about the date when Armageddon will strike. It pointed out that no publication of the Society had said that Armageddon will come in a certain year. The letter concluded: “Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world are familiar with these facts, and no one should add any personal claims as to what will happen before or during the year 1975. There are no Scriptural grounds for any claims, and they could have a detrimental effect on the preaching work. Strive, therefore, that you ‘all speak in agreement and that there be no divisions among you but that you may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.’ (1 Cor. 1:10) For concerning that day and hour nobody knows.”—Matt. 24:36.

In the Proclaimer's Book of Jehovah's Witnesses in Chapter 8 page 104 Declaring the Good News Without Letup (1942-1975)

The Witnesses had long shared the belief that the Thousand Year Reign of Christ would follow after 6,000 years of human history. But when would 6,000 years of human existence end? The book Life Everlasting—In Freedom of the Sons of God, released at a series of district conventions held in 1966, pointed to 1975. Right at the convention, as the brothers examined the contents, the new book triggered much discussion about 1975.

At the convention held in Baltimore, Maryland, F. W. Franz gave the concluding talk. He began by saying: “Just before I got on the platform a young man came to me and said, ‘Say, what does this 1975 mean?’” Brother Franz then referred to the many questions that had arisen as to whether the material in the new book meant that by 1975 Armageddon would be finished, and Satan would be bound. He stated, in essence: ‘It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don’t any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that.’

In the years following 1966, many of Jehovah’s Witnesses acted in harmony with the spirit of that counsel. However, other statements were published on this subject, and some were likely more definite than advisable. This was acknowledged in The Watchtower of March 15, 1980 (page 17). But Jehovah’s Witnesses were also cautioned to concentrate mainly on doing Jehovah’s will and not to be swept up by dates and expectations of an early salvation.

These are direct quotations from our publications. 1975 came and went with nothing extraordinary. Many brothers and sisters left showing where their hearts were at. A true Christian does not remain for a date or time. We are here because Biblical history shows that Jehovah's sovereignty was brought into question.

So Ace, are we here to defend His right to be our God through faith demonstrated by our actions; thus having Him rule over us or our we here to save our skin as Job Chapter one and two brought out.

For more information please go to www.jw.org for more information.

Sincerely, Agape, and Philia

Bro.D.Drake DeLaurentos  

Jehovah`s Witness

Dr. DDD,M.S.,Psy.D, Court Officer