Jehovah`s Witness/Agape

Question
Why do JW's say "Agape" to each other all the time?  I thought "agape" was an unconditional kind of love.  It seems to me that you will receive "agape" from a JW on the condition that 1) you become a JW; and 2) that you remain a JW.

Answer
Hello, Jim.  I hope you are doing well.  

Well, I have to say, I have never been asked this question before.  So I guess the best thing, is for me to try and answer it in the way that I believe a JW would, since you are wanting to know why they do this.

First, we need to understand that "agape" is used in a couple of different ways in the New Testament.  Much is made of the so-called difference between "agape" and "phileo", most of which is not really a difference at all.

But I believe the average JW would answer this question, by saying that "agape" is a deep and selfless love, as shared between close friends or brethren, which they would say is why they refer to one another in this manner.  I do agree with your point, that the "unconditional" aspect of "agape" is, in fact, based on the condition of a person remaining faithful to the Watchtower Organization.  I do not doubt that many JWs do love each other, but as you said, this love is conditional.....on you becoming a JW, and on you REMAINING a JW.  

But I suspect that JWs would say that "agape" is merely their way of expressing love for their brethren.  I can't say too much against that, because Christians in my church express love towards each other, as well.  Although we normally speak English to do it, and simply say, "I love you, Brother/Sister".  And there is certainly nothing wrong with that.  

I guess the question would be....Would a JW ever say "Agape" to a non-JW, or to a former JW?  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland