Jehovah`s Witness/Date?

Question
I was reading your answer to a question and you mentioned a date the witnesses are predicting 2015 ,I began going over past questions and found the one who is predicting this is Mr Grünbaum.

I wanted to go to him and ask this question but I dont see his link. I continued to read from his site and noticed you and he has had a fire storm but strangely it stopped.Can you go in to detail on this prophecy by Mr Grünbaum and I assume he has left this board in shame from reading his last posts but reading your post during that time frame you seemed sad to see him leave which I found surprising considering the hatred between you two.

Answer
Hello, Ace.  Thank you for writing with your question and observations.

Let me address this comment first, if I may.  You wrote....

"you seemed sad to see him leave which I found surprising considering the hatred between you two"

I want to say that I do not hate Mr. Grunbaum.  Only he can answer for his feelings towards me.  What many people do not realize, is that he and I have corresponded at length through e-mail, off of this forum.  We still do every so often.  He did state one time that he hated me, but he has also stated many times that he cares about me and respects me.  Not so long ago, in fact.  

Yes, I hated to see him leave the forum, and yes, we have had many debates, and most of them turned quite heated.  Have you ever watched a football game where 2 teams are grinding it out, and even throw punches at each other during the game, when the action gets intense?  But at the end of the game, they meet and shake hands?  That's a pretty good description of how it was with Grunbaum.  There were various reasons I had for not wanting to see him go, some of which I cannot state here.  But I will say that Grunbaum was very zealous in his answers.  I did not always like his mannerisms...in fact, I rarely did.  But he was here a long time, and I hated to see that time come to an end.

Let me explain why....Grunbaum could, at least, explain some reasons for why he believed as he did.  There are several JWs who volunteered for this forum, no doubt out of sincerity and great zeal for their religion.  Unfortunately, their zeal wasn't balanced with a great deal of Bible knowledge, and they thought the way to silence the non-Witnesses, was to lie and slander (Examples:  DW, Eddie G, Rando, etc).  Grunbaum, unlike some of the less intelligent Witnesses here who seem to only be able to slander me as an "opposer" or "apostate", realized that I am an honest, fair, and decent person.  He has told me such in private e-mails.  Granted, he also has said some not-so-nice things in public about me, but that is all part of defending what he believed. But generally he was much friendlier behind the scenes.

So no, I do not have hate or animosity towards him.  Many disagreements, yes.  Hate, no.

You said...."I was reading your answer to a question and you mentioned a date the witnesses are predicting 2015 ,I began going over past questions and found the one who is predicting this is Mr Grünbaum.

I wanted to go to him and ask this question but I dont see his link. I continued to read from his site and noticed you and he has had a fire storm but strangely it stopped.Can you go in to detail on this prophecy by Mr Grünbaum"

Let me clarify that this is not merely Grunbaum's prophecy.  He is not the only one espousing this notion.  There are several JWs on board with him in this, some on this site.  To their credit, some are not on board with it.  I cannot go into a great deal of detail, because I myself am learning more and more as to why they believe that October of 2015 is going to be the time of the Tribulation.  I am privileged to be able to see and keep track of their developing reasons, but I also want to be respectful of the fact that I have been given this privilege by them.  Please forgive me for the obscurity, but I can only say that I am privy to some of the dicussions, and that is all I can say.  

What I can tell you, is that they point out that the Bible uses the number 40 numerous times, in what seems to be particular patterns.  They then take the number 40, and begin at the year 1975, and after adding 40 years to that, come up with 2015.  I believe there are several things wrong with this, including using 1975 as a starting date.  If you want more information on WHY they believe this, I would recommend asking either Expert Drake, or Sister T.  They will be able to give you reasons for this view.

Most JWs do not at this time, accept the 40 year pattern as meaning anything, including a JW member of my own family.  But there is a growing number who do.  Time will tell as to the development of this idea.

Anyway, I appreciate your taking the time to write, and I hope this answer was somewhat helpful.  Take care, and have a great day.

Derrick  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland