Jehovah`s Witness/Jeremiah Book

Jesus the Righteous One wrote at 2013-08-02 07:11:20

There were two facets of the doctrine of the Messiah in the Old Testament and rabbinical writings. Both of these ideas are found in verses five and six. We see the Messiah as a person in verse five, and the teaching concerning the Messianic Age in verse six. These facets are also found in Isaiah (11:1-5, 6-16; 9:5-6; 11:1-9; Micah 5:1-5; Amos 9:11; Hosea 3:5, etc.). These and other verses describe the coming New Age when the Messiah would restore David's dynasty.

God promised Jeremiah that He would raise up from David's line a righteous Branch (23:5). The shepherds of Israel have corrupted God's flock. Yahweh will restore the nation from exile and will provide true "shepherds" who will care for His flock. In this passage the LORD promises the coming of the ideal king, "a righteous Branch" in the line of David.

"Behold, the days are coming," declares the Lord,

"When I will raise up for David a righteous Branch;

And He will reign as king and act wisely

And do justice and righteousness in the land."

This passage in Jeremiah is clearly messianic and was one of many such utterances by the Hebrew prophets that contributed to the developing messianic belief in ancient Israel. Verses five and six are full of messianic thinking as well as 33:15-16. The English word "Messiah" is derived from the Hebrew word Mashach meaning, "to anoint." The term Messiah in the sense of the ideal king is not used in the Old Testament even though the idea is clearly present.

It is only through the ideal king Messiah David whose just and victorious rule the hopes of Judah will ever be realized. No other dynasty will have everlasting rule. The Royal Psalms give emphasis to this same idealism (Psalm 2, 4, 72, 89-110).

The "Branch" is a "growth," or literally "sprout" and is used in the ancient Near East to describe the rightful heir to the throne (33:15; Isaiah 4:2; Zechariah 3:8; 6:12). Isaiah uses a different word in 11:1 but with the same idea. This heir will be an ideal king. He will act wisely and do what is just and right. During His reign "Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely; and this is His name by which he will be called, 'the LORD our righteousness'" (vv. 5-6; cf. 3:17; 33:16; Ezekiel 48:35; 1 Corinthians 1:30).

No matter how gloomy and desperate the present situation was in Judah, Yahweh promised to raise up to David a righteous branch. This one branch of David will sit on the throne forever and He will reign in righteousness. The second David, the Messiah's dominion will last forever. Only the one Good Shepherd of Yahweh stands in contrast to evil shepherds in Ezekiel 34:23. This is the one to whom the promise was made to David in 2 Samuel 7:12; 1 Chronicles 7. The name of this branch of David is Yahweh our Righteousness.

Ezekiel wrote, "Then I will set over them one shepherd, My servant David, and he will feed them; he will feed them himself and be their shepherd. And I, the LORD, will be their God, and My servant David will be prince among them; I, the LORD, have spoken" (34:23-24).

Jeremiah says, they will call Him "Yahweh our Righteousness" because He is righteous. He will lead His people into righteousness (Isaiah 11:1; Matthew 2:23). This ruler will spring forth or bud forth as a Righteous Plant. He is the blossom of the Jewish nation that will spring forth from what appears to be an almost dead stump.

The Messiah is here called Yahweh and He is our righteousness. The righteous Branch obtains our righteousness (Romans 5:18; 3:22; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Mark 10:18; 1 Corinthians 1:30; 1 Peter 3:18; Romans 10:4; Philippians 3:9). Jesus Christ is the Righteous One (Acts 3:14; Hebrews 1:8, 9; Romans 3:22).

The meaning of "saved" is "rescued," "delivered," "liberated." This ideal king would provide safety for His people. Jeremiah will develop the idea of salvation in chapters 30-31.

The righteous "shoot" (semah) appeared to be dead, but it was not. This dynasty of David's tree would burst forth like a shoot. Most of our English translations read "Branch" or literally "Sprout" in the margin. During the postexilic times Branch became the technical term for the expected ideal king (Zechariah 3:8; 6:12). This true shoot that comes from the line of David will be a wise ruler. "He will reign as king and act wisely." Literally, "and a king will rule and act wisely." He will "act wisely" and "have success." He will ably reign in contrast to the current ruler.

How can a man be just with God? The answer is in the Lord that men are justified. Is it the Lord their righteousness that righteousness resides; the Lord Himself is their righteousness. This is the high point in the Old Testament revelation respecting justification.

It is from the writings of the Old Testament that we come to understand the full meaning of the apostle Paulís teaching on the righteousness of God. In Paulís mind the Lord Himself is our righteousness, and it comes from faith to faith (cf. Rom. 1:17; 3:21, 22; 10:3; 2 Cor. 5:21; Phil. 3:9). His mind and heart were saturated with the lofty theology of the Hebrew Scriptures.  

Brenton wrote at 2013-08-18 02:48:20
Yes indeed Jesus proved to be the "sprout" (shoot) of David.  He is the anointed of Yahweh (Jehovah) to be the rightfully king over all the earth, (not just Jerusalem or the muddle east)His kingdom is "not of this world" John 18:36. He reigns from the heavens over this world.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovahís Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovahís Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovahís Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovahís Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovahís Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.