Jehovah`s Witness/Prayer

E.J. wrote at 2013-08-01 15:44:19
Hello, Steven... thank you for stepping in for Brenda.  Why is she no longer an expert?

Back to the question.  At my suggestion, I attended a Sunday morning JW service at a Kingdom Hall with a loved one who is a JW.  The 'talk' was first and I do not recall a prayer being said.  When it was time for the 'study', my companion gathered up her belongings & said 'let's go'.  So I have no idea if prayers were said during the 'study'.  It appeared to me my companion did not want me to know the 'study' would be from the Watchtower, not the Bible.  

There is a Kingdom Hall close to my home.  If I attend a morning service, or any other for that matter, will I be allowed to ask questions & point out scripture I think are relevant?

Again, thanks for your input.  I feel you are sincere and will not just 'cut & paste' your answers with the attitude that that settles the issue.

Brenton Hepburn wrote at 2013-08-03 01:44:42
Hi, The first thing that needs to be pointed out here is that this part of the forum is not for asking additional questions, it is for others to add extra comments.  The "expert" does not get what is written here as a question to be asked.

The public meeting on a Sunday is started with a song and a prayer. perhaps you arrived just after it started.

For the Bible study after the talk we use a text book just like may places of education use text books to discuss a matter.  the text book we use is the Watchtower.

No you would not be allowed DURRING the meeting to do so. The meetings are held to a time table  and going over time is not something that we do.  That is because of some in the audience may need to catch public transport, some have to leave on time to go to work, others may have unbelieving partners waiting for them.  There is a time limit to cover the material.  The time to ask questions is when we as individual's prepare the material before hand or after the meeting

Steven wrote at 2013-08-03 22:36:38
I don't know Brenda personally and I have no knowledge of why she is no longer answering questions.

As for asking questions or bringing up scriptures as part of a comment at one of our meetings:  In order to cover the assigned material generally there is little time during any of our meetings to go off on a tangent or a discussion that goes into depth. While such discussions are not discouraged [sincere questions are in fact encouraged] they are best discussed with one of Jehovah's witnesses after the meeting. Mentioning supportive scriptures that might add to the discussion is often done but we all generally try to limit our comments to 30 seconds to allow as many as possible to have a part.  

Jehovah`s Witness

I can answer questions about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe and why. I am not a scholar. I have no secular education beyond high school.

I have been a baptized Witness of Jehovah since June 1961. I have never been disfellowshipped but I do have opinions of my own that I feel support what most Witnesses believe. What I am saying is that sometimes my reasons for accepting what Jehovah's Witnesses teach and believe are in addition to or are not the same as the reasons given by our organization but my beliefs are still the same. Even though I may state my personal opinions, I will however never give my own opinion without first trying to state the official position of Jehovah's Witnesses. Contrary to popular opinion, Jehovah's Witnesses are allowed to think for themselves. However, we do recognize the need for unity, for all being on the same page, and therefore I will not give any personal opinions that would result in drawing conclusions contrary to what we as an organization teach. I will always try to give a source to back up my statements.

I have not served as an elder. Anyone asking me a question should know that. My father is an elder and my younger brother is as well. I have served in the capacity of a Ministerial Servant but currently I am not one. I also was a regular pioneer for three years after graduating from high school.