Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus is Michael

Question
QUESTION: Brenda,

We had a lengthy discussion back in November regarding your belief that Jesus is Michael the archangel.  I've been pre-occupied, but would like to follow up on that subject.

There are only 5 scriptures in the Bible which speak of Michael the archangel:  Daniel 10:13 & 21; Daniel 12:1; Jude 9; and Rev. 12:7.

Regarding the following two scriptures:
Daniel 10:13; "But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days; but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia."  ~~~  Who is the 'me' and 'I' in this scripture?

The same question for Daniel 10:21; "But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth:  and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince." ~~~ Who is 'I' and 'me' in this scripture also?

Thank you for your willingness to answer my questions.

ANSWER: Hi there, I had to read the chapter from the beginning to arrive at the answer.

An angel was sent to assist Daniel,v.13 shows a demon trying to hinder the angel. In verse 20 we see the angel telling Daniel,"now I shall go back to fight with the prince of Persia (demon)& warning Daniel another demon would be coming.

The bible tells us there are invisible "world rulers" who share control of the world under their chief, Satan the devil.(rev 12:9,12

Www.jw.org

QUESTION: Brenda, Daniel does not use the word 'angel' when speaking of the being he saw.  He uses the term 'man': 'a certain man'; 'one similar to the likeness of the sons of mankind'; 'the appearance of an earthling man'; and 'the man clothed with linen'.  He also uses 'my lord'.

Daniel's physical description of the 'man' in Daniel 10:5-6 is very similar to John's descripton of 'someone like a son of man' in Rev 1:13-16.  

Daniel & John's reactions & interactions with the 'man' they saw were similar too. They fell on their faces/at his feet; were touched & comforted by the 'man' and told to 'fear not'.

Do you think the 'man' Daniel describes, the 'man' John describes, and the angel you say is speaking in Daniel 10:13; 21 are one & the same?

Thanks again!

Answer
DANIEL DOES NOT USE THE WORD 'ANGEL' WHEN SPEAKING OF THE BEING HE SAW; 'THE MAN CLOTHED WITH LINEN ETC”

Obviously, he saw no ordinary man -: “His body was like chrysolite, and his face like the appearance of lightning, and his eyes like fiery torches, and his arms and the place of his feet were like the sight of burnished copper, and the sound of his words was like the sound of a crowd.”—Daniel 10:6.

He was “clothed in linen, with his hips girded with gold of Uphaz.” In ancient Israel, the high priest’s girdle, ephod, and breastpiece, as well as the robes of the other priests, were made with fine twisted linen and were decorated with gold. (Exodus 28:4-8; 39:27-29) So the messenger’s clothing indicates holiness and dignity of office.

All of this clearly indicates that he was superhuman. This “man clothed in linen” was none other than an angel of high rank, one who served in the holy presence of Jehovah, from which he came forth with a message.

Later on in Daniel 12 this is confirmed;-  Daniel sees three angelic creatures and says: “I saw, I Daniel, and, look! there were two others standing, one on the bank here of the stream and the other on the bank there of the stream. Then one said to the man clothed with the linen, who was up above the waters of the stream: ‘How long will it be to the end of the wonderful things?’” (Daniel 12:5, 6)

Daniel’s account continues: “And I began to hear the man clothed with the linen, who was up above the waters of the stream, as he proceeded to raise his right hand and his left hand to the heavens and to swear by the One who is alive for time indefinite: ‘It will be for an appointed time, appointed times and a half. And as soon as there will have been a finishing of the dashing of the power of the holy people to pieces, all these things will come to their finish.’” (Daniel 12:7) The angel raises both hands in an oath, perhaps so that this gesture is visible to the two angels on opposite sides of the broad river.

DANIEL'S PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE 'MAN' IN DANIEL 10:5-6 IS VERY SIMILAR TO JOHN'S DESCRIPTON OF 'SOMEONE LIKE A SON OF MAN' IN REV 1:13-16.

Daniel--“a certain man clothed in linen,
His HIPS girded with GOLD of Uphaz.
his body was like chrysolite
his face like the appearance of lightning
his eyes like fiery torches
his arms and the place of his feet were like the sight of burnished copper
the sound of his words was like the sound of a crowd”.

Rev—“someone like a son of man
clothed with a garment that reached down to the feet
girded at the BREASTS with a GOLDEN girdle
his eyes as a fiery flame
his feet were like fine copper when glowing in a furnace
his voice was as the sound of many waters.

Similar perhaps but not the same person, the “man clothed in linen” is an angel; the “son of man” is Jesus Christ.

DANIEL & JOHN'S REACTIONS & INTERACTIONS WITH THE 'MAN' THEY SAW WERE SIMILAR TOO. THEY FELL ON THEIR FACES/AT HIS FEET; WERE TOUCHED & COMFORTED BY THE 'MAN' AND TOLD TO 'FEAR NOT'.

Both saw a superhuman creature, so its only natural they both were in awe

DO YOU THINK THE 'MAN' DANIEL DESCRIBES, THE 'MAN' JOHN DESCRIBES, AND THE ANGEL YOU SAY IS SPEAKING IN DANIEL 10:13; 21 ARE ONE & THE SAME?

An angel is the (man clothed in linen) who came to strengthen Daniel
(the son of man) Jesus was in the vision John saw.

www.jw.org

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin