Jehovah`s Witness/Salvation

Question
QUESTION: Brenda,

The Scriptures speak of 'salvation' and being 'saved'.

Here are a few examples where these terms are used.

Luke 3:6 ~   And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.
Acts 2:21 ~  And it shall come to pass that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Acts 4:12 ~  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Please explain What this means.

Thank you in advance for your response.

ANSWER: LUKE 3:6 ~   AND ALL FLESH SHALL SEE THE SALVATION OF GOD.

Isaiah writes about the Jews returning to their homeland from Babylon—

“Listen! Someone is calling out in the wilderness: ‘Clear up the way of Jehovah, you people! Make the highway for our God through the desert plain straight. Let every valley be raised up, and every mountain and hill be made low. And the knobby ground must become level land, and the rugged ground a valley plain. And the glory of Jehovah will certainly be revealed, and all flesh must see it together, for the very mouth of Jehovah has spoken it.’”—Isaiah 40:3-5.

Before embarking on a journey, Eastern rulers would often send out men to prepare the way by removing big stones and even building causeways and leveling hills. In the case of the returning Jews, it will be as if God himself is in the forefront, clearing away any obstacles. After all, these are Jehovah’s name people, and fulfilling his promise to restore them to their homeland will cause his glory to be manifest before all the nations. Like it or not, those NATIONS WILL BE FORCED TO SEE that Jehovah is the Fulfiller of his promises.

The restoration in the sixth century B.C.E. was not the only fulfillment of this prophecy. There was also a fulfillment in the first century C.E. John the Baptizer was the voice of someone “crying out in the wilderness,” in fulfillment of Isaiah 40:3. (Luke 3:1-6) Under inspiration, John applied Isaiah’s words to himself. (John 1:19-23)

Starting in 29 C.E., John began preparing the way for Jesus Christ. John’s advance proclamation aroused people to look for the promised Messiah so that they, in turn, might listen to him and follow him. (Luke 1:13-17, 76) Through Jesus, Jehovah would lead repentant ones into the freedom that only God’s Kingdom can provide—liberation from bondage to sin and death. (John 1:29; 8:32)

ACTS 2:21 ~  AND IT SHALL COME TO PASS THAT WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED.

Underscoring a major factor that can bring you God’s lasting approval, Joel stated: “Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe.” (Joel 2:32) Two apostles, Peter and Paul, quoted this vital requirement. (Acts 2:21; Romans 10:13)

Calling on Jehovah’s name involves more than just knowing and using God’s personal name. (Isaiah 1:15) The context of Joel 2:32 stresses true repentance and trust in Jehovah’s forgiveness. (Joel 2:12, 13) Calling on God’s name implies truly coming to know him, trust him, obey him, and put him first in our life. Yes, serving Jehovah becomes our top priority. That, in turn, greatly contributes to a satisfying and lasting life, which is a blessing from God.—Matthew 6:33.

Jesus explained: “God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might . . . have everlasting life.” We also read: “He that exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life.” (John 3:16, 36)

ACTS 4:12 ~  NEITHER IS THERE SALVATION IN ANY OTHER: FOR THERE IS NONE OTHER NAME UNDER HEAVEN GIVEN AMONG MEN, WHEREBY WE MUST BE SAVED.

After pointing out to the Jewish high court in Jerusalem that Bible prophecy had been fulfilled in Jesus, the apostle Peter forcefully concluded: “There is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.” (Acts 4:12)

Since all of Adam’s offspring are sinners, their death holds no merit that can be applied as a ransom for anyone. But Jesus was perfect, and his life had sacrificial value. (Psalm 49:6-9; Hebrews 2:9) He offered to God a ransom that exactly corresponded in value to the perfect life that Adam had lost. (1 Timothy 2:5, 6) This opened the way for us to obtain everlasting life in God’s new world.

www.jw.org

QUESTION: Brenda,

I had already used my concordance to look up and read all the scriptures regarding salvation and being saved.  And there are many.

That is why I'd like someone to tell me their understanding of the two terms.  In layman terms and in their own words.

How would you explain it to a ten-year old?

Looking forward to your reply.

E.J.

Answer
Jude 5, RS: “I desire to remind you, though you were once for all fully informed, that he who SAVED a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward DESTROYED those who did not believe.”

Matt. 24:13, RS: “He who endures to the end will be saved.” (So a person’s final salvation is NOT determined at the moment that he begins to put faith in Jesus.)

Phil. 2:12, RS: “As you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, WORK OUT your own salvation with fear and trembling.” (This was addressed to “the saints,” or holy ones, at Philippi, as stated in Philippians 1:1. Paul urged them not to be overly confident but to realize that their final salvation was not yet assured.)

Heb. 10:26, 27, RS: “If we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries.” (The Bible does not go along with the idea that no matter what sins a person may commit after he is “saved” he will not lose his salvation.

It encourages faithfulness. See also Hebrews 6:4-6, where it is shown that even a person anointed with holy spirit (born again) can lose his hope of salvation.)

I would explain to a "ten year old" that we must work out our own salvation, were not just given it & that's it (once saved always saved)

www.jw.org

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin