Jehovah`s Witness/Conversion

Question
Do Jehovah Witnesses believe on giving their heart to Jesus?
Do Jehovah Witnesses believe that Jesus enters into the new believers heart from the first moment they give their heart to Him?

I have never asked these questions to any of your people so I thought it would be great to ask you.

Answer
Hi Timothy,

Thanks for inquiring with All Experts. You asked a twofold question: Do Jehovah Witnesses believe on giving their heart to Jesus? Do Jehovah Witnesses believe that Jesus enters into the new believers heart from the first moment they give their heart to Him? As Jehovah’s Witnesses we give our hearts 100% to Jehovah. Now, what would that entail? Jesus laid out the path that all faithful true Christians should follow. Now on the Insight to the Scriptures Volume One page 1057 under Heart the scriptures gives us many examples what giving our whole heart means. In the great majority of its occurrences in the Scriptures, the word “heart” is used figuratively. It is said to stand for “the central part in general, the inside, and so for the interior man as manifesting himself in all his various activities, in his desires, affections, emotions, passions, purposes, his thoughts, perceptions, imaginations, his wisdom, knowledge, skill, his beliefs and his reasonings, his memory and his consciousness.”—Journal of the Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis, 1882, p. 67.

So, in the Scriptures the figurative heart is not confined to being the seat of affection and motivation, nor is it limited to the intellect. “Among the Semites . . . all that was peculiar to man, in the category of feelings as well as intellect and will, was attributed to the heart.” It is “the sum total of the interior man as opposed to the flesh, which is the exterior and tangible man.”—The Metaphorical Use of the Names of Parts of the Body in Hebrew and in Akkadian, by E. Dhorme, Paris, 1963, pp. 113, 114, 128 (in French).

Not mere outward appearances but what a person really is inside is what counts with God, who is an examiner of hearts. (Proverbs 17:3; 24:12; Psalm 17:3; 1Samuel 16:7) So the Scriptures counsel: “More than all else that is to be guarded, safeguard your heart [the whole inner man], for out of it are the sources of life.” (Proverbs 4:23)

In a number of cases in the Bible where the term “heart” occurs, it evidently focuses attention on the thinking faculties, but not in a sense that would isolate such faculties from the rest of what makes up the inner person. Moses urged the Israelites, “You must call back to your heart [“must recall to your mind,” ftn] that Jehovah is the true God.” And later he told them, “Jehovah has not given you a heart [“mind,” ftn] to know.” (De 4:39; 29:4) Showing that at times the heart, as referred to in both the Hebrew Scriptures (OT) and the Christian Greek Scriptures (NT), includes the intellect are instances where it is associated with “thinking” (Matthew 9:4), “reasoning” (Mark 2:6), “understanding” (1Kings 3:12; Mr 6:52), and “knowledge” (Proverbs 15:14).

The condition of our figurative heart is reflected in our disposition, our attitude, whether proud or humble. (Proverbs 16:5; Matthew 11:29) Our feelings and emotions are also part of that inner man. These include love (Deuteronomy 6:5; 1Peter 1:22), joy (Deuteronomy 28:47; John 16:22), pain and sorrow (Nehemiah 2:2; Romans 9:2), hate (Leviticus 19:17). Thus the heart can be “anxious” (Isaiah 35:4), “pierced” by affliction (Psalm 109:22), ‘melted’ by fear of distresses (Deuteronomy 20:8). In the Christian Greek Scriptures, when the mind is mentioned along with the heart, “mind” refers to the intellect while “heart” refers to the emotions, desires, and feelings of the inner person.

So when we look at the example of Jesus when he said: “You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.” (Matthew 22:37) He thus showed that a person’s desires, feelings, and emotions must express his love for God, but he must also express that love by the way he uses his mental faculties, as by taking in knowledge of God and Christ.—John 17:3. Timothy, Jesus made it a point to worship and give your heart to his father, Jehovah, not him. What does our sacred Father do with your heart? Here is a few scriptures for your to consider.

(Psalm 26:2) Examine me, O Jehovah, and put me to the test; Refine my kidneys and my heart.
(Psalm 66:10) For you have examined us, O God; You have refined us as when refining silver.
(Proverbs 21:2) Every way of a man is upright in his own eyes, but Jehovah is making an estimate of hearts.

(Proverbs 24:12) In case you should say: “Look! We did not know of this,” will not he himself that is making an estimate of hearts discern it, and he himself that is observing your soul know and certainly pay back to earthling man according to his activity?
(Isaiah 48:10) Look! I have refined you, but not in [the form of] silver. I have made choice of you in the smelting furnace of affliction.

Timothy, one seeking to please God must serve him with a complete heart. This is who we give our heart to.

(1 Chronicles 28:9) “And you, Sol′o•mon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a complete heart and with a delightful soul; for all hearts Jehovah is searching, and every inclination of the thoughts he is discerning. If you search for him, he will let himself be found by you; but if you leave him, he will cast you off forever.

(1 Chronicles 29:17) And I well know, O my God, that you are an examiner of the heart, and that it is in rectitude that you take pleasure. I, for my part, in the uprightness of my heart have voluntarily offered all these things, and now your people who are on hand here I have enjoyed seeing make offerings voluntarily to you.

(Proverbs 17:3) The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold, but Jehovah is the examiner of hearts Timothy and He is the one that draws him to Jesus and his congregation.
This requires diligent effort in view of the heart’s being desperate and inclined to badness. (Jeremiah 17:9, 10; Genesis 8:21) Of help in maintaining a complete heart are: heartfelt prayer (Psalm 119:145; Lamentations 3:41), regular study of God’s Word (Ezra 7:10; Pr 15:28), zealous participation in preaching the good news (compare Jeremiah 20:9), and association with others whose hearts are complete toward Jehovah.—Compare 2Kings10:15, 16.

Jesus told his listeners what specific action on their part would demonstrate their inner desire to serve Jehovah wholeheartedly. He said: “Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you.” (Matt. 6:33) Indeed, by what we put first in our life, we make manifest what we are desiring, thinking, and planning deep down in our heart. Examining our priorities in life is thus a tangible way to check whether we are serving God with a complete heart.

Not long after Jesus urged his followers to “keep on . . . seeking first the kingdom,” an incident happened that illustrates how a man’s heart condition is indeed revealed by what he puts first in life. Gospel writer Luke introduces the incident by stating that Jesus “firmly set his face to go to Jerusalem” even though he well knew what eventually awaited him there. While he and his apostles “were going on the road,” Jesus met some men to whom he extended the invitation: “Be my follower.” Those men were willing to accept Jesus’ invitation—but on certain conditions. One man replied: “Permit me first to leave and bury my father.” Another said: “I will follow you, Lord; but first permit me to say good-bye to those in my household.” (Luke 9:51, 57-61) What a contrast there was between Jesus’ firm, wholehearted resolve and those men’s weak, conditional offers! By placing their own concerns first, above Kingdom interests, they revealed that their heart was not complete toward God.

I elaborated extensively on your question Timothy because it’s important to know what you’re asking for. You asked simple questions that bring complicated answers. To give your life to your Master is a complete life of devotion. Jesus’ disciples lived a life devoid of self interests and ambitions. Can you really live for another whom you never met and die for your spiritual brother as Jesus ‘commanded?

Please go to www.jw.org for more information.

Sincerely,
Bro.D.Drake

Jehovah`s Witness

Dr. DDD,M.S.,Psy.D, Court Officer