Jehovah`s Witness/Fellowship

QUESTION: Do you fellowship with Jehovah?  If so, how?  If not, why not?

Do you fellowship with Jesus?  If so, how?  If not, why not?

ANSWER: Hello Adam

Can you please tell me what you mean by "Fellowship"

QUESTION: Contact, fellowship, intimacy

I would like to know if and how you have contact, fellowship, and intimacy with Jehovah and/or Jesus.

Thanks, I hope that better clarifies what I mean.

Hello Adam

Thank you for that clarification. And I apologise for the delay.

The word “fellowship” is not a word that I am used to using. In my mind the word “fellowship”  is associated with a one to one – face to face encounter with some one.  Eg when we go work our place of employment we are literally in close fellowship with our work companions.  I have heard some religions talk about fellowship as meeting together in a group.  A local church around the corner from me has a “mens fellowship” morning. I understand from the sign that means that men get together for general company, to fellowship with each other over a cup of coffee (or tea)

After reading your expanded explanation, I see that you are possible talking about, what I would use as “relationship”.  So I am going to proceed by a re wording of your question to

“Do you [have a] relationship with Jehovah? If so, how?  If not, why not?”

“Do you [have a] relationship with Jesus? If so, how?  If not, why not?  “

The answer is yes to both.

So how?

For me Jehovah is the Almighty.  Jesus is his “agent” through whom (or by the means) that God has revealed so much for mankind (all texts from the NWT)

We are invited to draw close to God as recorded by James ”Draw close to God, and he will draw close to YOU.“  (James 4:8 )  We can have a relationship (fellowship) with Jehovah by taking the first step to draw close to him.   The following text explains a lot of this.

1 John 2:1-6 2 My little children, I am writing YOU these things that YOU may not commit a sin. And yet, if anyone does commit a sin, we have a helper with the Father, Jesus Christ , a righteous one. 2 And he is a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins, yet not for ours only but also for the whole world’s. 3 And by this we have the knowledge that we have come to know him , namely, if we continue observing his commandments . 4 He that says: “I have come to know him,” and yet is not observing his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in this [person]. 5 But whoever does observe his word, truthfully in this [person] the love of God has been made perfect. By this we have the knowledge that we are in union with him . 6 He that says he remains in union with him is under obligation himself also to go on walking just as that one [Jesus] walked .”

From that I learn, that to have a relationship with Jehovah, I need to build a relationship with Jesus as well.   It is a continual obligation. An important part of doing that is by obeying the commands of God and following the example of Jesus when he was here on earth.

Going back before Jesus walked the earth I  learn a few things from the Psalms.  The psalmist  tell me that to be happy I need to follow Gods commands and Make Jehovah my God and to trust in God

Psalm 144:15 " . .Happy is the people for whom it is just like [that]!” Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah. . .

Psalm 112:1 " . .Praise Jah, YOU people!  Happy is the man in fear of Jehovah,  In whose commandments he has taken very much delight.

Psalm 40:4 “Happy is the able-bodied man that has put Jehovah as his trust And that has not turned his face to defiant people, Nor to those falling away to lies. . .

To build that trust In Jehovah I need to  be “taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.”  (John 17:3 )

For me, that entails  looking at Bible prophecy,  seeing how Jehovah dealt with peoples in the past, looking for clues as to his personality, and discovering Gods  love, justice, wisdom,  power, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control, impartiality, forgives,  righteousness, willing to listen, fairness, yielding, humour, seriousness,   and a host of other qualities.  Because there are different ideas as to just who Jehovah and Jesus are, I find that, in order to make sure I am having a relationship with the  I have study  the original wordings  because so many man made doctrines have crept into the Bible by translators that have not taken due care.

The Bible becomes a very important document that holds the answer to mans problems.  It teaches me to benefit myself (Isaiah 48:17 – 19 “... “I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit [yourself] , the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk. 18 O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments ! Then your peace would become just like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea. 19 And your offspring would become just like the sand, and the descendants from your inward parts like the grains of it. One’s name would not be cut off or be annihilated from before me.”

Jesus set the example when he walked the earth ( John 5:19 Therefore, in answer, Jesus went on to say to them: “Most truly I say to YOU, The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing. For whatever things that One does, these things the Son also does in like manner.

John 5:30 I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous, because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me.

John 8:28 “ . .and that I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things.”

So every think Jesus did and taught he learnt from God. He was obedient to God (Philippians 2:8 ”. .he humbled himself and became obedient as far as death.”)

When Jesus tells us to “Come to me”  (Matthew 11:28 )    When we come to Jesus we need to listen to his voice  (John 18:37 )

To have a successfully fellowship (relationship) for me, means that I must  worship the correct God – the God of Jesus (John 20:17; I Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 1:17; Colossians 1:3 ), obey the commands that both Jehovah and Jesus gave, continually take in knowledge of both Jehovah and Jesus (John 17:) and pray to Jehovah through his son Son Jesus, imitate to the best of our imperfect ability the  life that Jesus set – the doing of his feathers will (Matthew 7:21, 12:50; John 6:40 )

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.