Jehovah`s Witness/How JWs feel about Jesus

Question
Just when I thought that JWs could not demote Jesus any further, I read some excerpts from the NWT.  Luke 2:27-34 Four times Christ is called "it".  Really?  The Messiah being labelled an "it"? Could it have been the Greek word?  No, because verse 40 uses the same word "autos" and they translated that one as "him".  Does this make you as sick as it makes me?

Answer
Good evening, Jim, and thank you for writing.  I have a couple guys called "Jim" who write me, but since your question originates in the USA, then I realize you are not the same one that has written me recently.

You know, I may have been aware of the NWT calling Jesus an "it", but I seriously don't remember ever knowing that before.  Its possible I just forgot, as there are so many other issues with the NWT, I might have just missed this one.

But it is as you say....These verses DO call Jesus "it".  I want to be fair, and allow a JW reading this, to possibly explain the reasoning for this rather odd wording.

I know one thing....I'd better never see another JW attack the KJV for saying "the Spirit itself" again.  I have heard that one too many times to count, and there is a legitimate reason for it in that passage, which is another discussion altogether.  But it seems rather odd, and disrespectful towards the Messiah, to call Him "it" 4 times in this context.

Verse 33 seemed very strange to me....."And its father and mother continued wondering at the things being spoken about"

Even if they tried to justify the other 3 times, by saying it is appropriate to refer to a child/baby as an "it" (Ex:  "Aw, look at it...its so cute!"), it still seems very out of place to not say "And HIS father and mother continued wondering at the things being spoken about".

As for demoting Christ, I want to give a JW the opportunity to explain the logic behind this "translation".  However, yes, they do demote Christ in their doctrine, and in their teaching.

In several ways:

1.  By denying His deity as taught in the Scriptures, and then turning right around and labeling Him as a created angel, despite the fact that the Scriptures NOWHERE say this.

2.  By claiming that His ransom sacrifice was a corresponding ransom to Adam's sin, instead of His shed blood being the means of our being saved, KNOWING we ARE saved, and giving us the right to be birthed into Gods' family.

3.  By not honoring Him in the same manner that they honor the Father (John 5:23)

4.  By placing an Organization into the equation at all, they demote Christ by adding some other requirement, beyond faith in His shed blood.

I realize that they will object to my saying that, but then they turn right around and claim that becoming a JW and being in the Organization, is the ONLY way to have everlasting life (yes, I can give quotes, if need be).

So, to answer your question....Yes, it is sickening to see the Savior, the one and only hope these people have for eternal life, being reduced to a creation, and having an Organization effectively insert itself in His place, where salvation is concerned.

Notice how you have never seen ONE statement from a JW, telling people to "turn to Christ", or "come to Jesus", for their salvation?  We have seen many comments, telling questioners to "begin a study", "come to Jehovah's Organization", "run, don't walk, to the Kingdom Hall", etc.  

But I am YET to see one JW tell anyone to simply, "come to Christ".

I will leave you with this Scripture, from the mouth of Christ Himself....

John 5:40-  "And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life."

Yes, its quite tragic.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland