Jehovah`s Witness/pregnant cousin

Question
hi, can jw's attend a pregnant cousin's wedding?

Answer
Hello, Ace.  Thank you for the question.

To be honest, this might be a question that you would want to ask of a practicing JW.  I know that JWs are "allowed" to attend weddings that take place in churches, but are not encouraged to do so.  I remember the time I had getting my JW family to come to my own wedding, because it was in a church.  I remember my 2 sisters were initially told they could be bridesmaids, but then were made to back out, two weeks before the wedding, because it was viewed as a "religious service", and my sisters were not allowed to participate in that role.

However, they did attend.

I said all that, to say that I know for a fact that a JW can decide to ATTEND a non-JW wedding.  I am also certain that a JW could not participate in the wedding, in any manner.  

I am not aware of anything that would prohibit them from attending the wedding that you asked about...that of a woman who committed sexual sin and because pregnant out of wedlock...but there may be something I am not aware of.  That is why I would recommend asking a JW, for the latest teaching on an issue such as this.  I would hate to give my opinion, and then learn that they have gotten "new light" on this issue, and then be accused of misrepresenting their teaching.

As far as I know, that would be a JW's personal choice, but probably highly discouraged, yet not completely prohibited.  If I had to give an answer to that, that is what I would say.  But again, you might want to get their perspective, as well.

Thanks for writing, and have a great evening.

Derrick

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland