Jehovah`s Witness/Question

Hello Brenton.
Love how you have honesty in your profile.
Which makes things easier to be able to talk openly, without a hidden agenda!
I have too ask a question!
What makes JWs believe that they have the right belief! Compared to all he others?
I myself came up a different faith, done go there anymore! however I just love talking about Christ, God.
If it wasn't for God we wouldn't be here!
If it wasn't for Christ we all would be lost! Would we not?
So what makes JWs claim they are right and everyone else is wrong?
That's abit strong!
Plus there is many reglions out there that have got things wrong in the past which is a big turn off and people are noticing this, and JWs are one of many!
Look forward to your reply Brenton

Hello Irene and Greetings from Down under in Australia.

Thank you for your question

If you have read some of the recent comments on this board,  you may have noticed some questioners do not like long answers.  Unfortunately I am prone to long answers as I often find it very hard to be precises.  SO, for this first reply to you, I will give a short answer (for me) and leave it up to you to ask for further clarifications.

First, no doubt you remember the occasion when Jesus was talking to a Samaritan women at a well.  I will present a portion of it  from the NWT and highlight some point in it

John 4:16 -26 “16 He said to her: “Go, call your husband and come to this place.” 17 In answer the woman said: “I do not have a husband.” Jesus said to her: “You said well, ‘A husband I do not have.’ 18 For you have had five husbands, and the [man] you now have is not your husband. This you have said truthfully.” 19 The woman said to him: “Sir, I perceive you are a prophet. 20 Our forefathers worshiped in this mountain; but YOU people say that in Jerusalem is the place where persons ought to worship.” 21 Jesus said to her: “Believe me, woman, The hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will YOU people worship the Father. 22 YOU worship what YOU do not know; we worship what we know  , because salvation originates with the Jews. 23 Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth , for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him . 24 God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth .” 25 The woman said to him: “I know that Messiah is coming, who is called Christ. Whenever that one arrives, he will declare all things to us openly.” 26 Jesus said to her: “I who am speaking to you am he.”

Point 1  Gods wants his worshipers to do so in truth.

Now the Bible tells us that the nation of Israel were once Gods chosen people. Would we not expect the  the Jewish religious leaders to set the example of worship that was acceptable to God? Can we have a read of what Jesus said about  some of theses religious teachers (leaders), again in the book of John (as per the NWT)

John 8:42-47  “42 Jesus said to them: “If God were YOUR Father , YOU would love me, for from God I came forth and am here. Neither have I come of my own initiative at all, but that One sent me forth. 43 Why is it YOU do not know what I am speaking? Because YOU cannot listen to my word. 44 YOU are from YOUR father the Devil , and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father. That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of [the lie] . 45 Because I, on the other hand, tell the truth, YOU do not believe me. 46 Who of YOU convicts me of sin? If I speak truth, why is it YOU do not believe me?  47 He that is from God listens to the sayings of God . This is why YOU do not listen, because YOU are not from God.”

Point 2 If we do not listen to God then we are following a lie and the lie originates with Satan.

There is a distinct difference then between what God accepts and will not accept.

Just as JWs will say that we teach the truth, most religions will say that we do not, however one is correct and one is not.  It is the choice of each of us to decide.  There are many differences between JWs and what people call the “main stream religions”  The most important differences are as follows (at this stage no scriptural discussion is involved. If you want to know bout any of the, please feel free to ask individual questions.)  This list is not necessarily in  order of importance.

God is NOT a trinity

Gods (the Fathers) personal name is in English Jehovah

Jesus was the first and only direct creation of God

Through Jesus as Gods agent or master worker all things were made  

the holy spirit is not a person

Man was made to live forever on the earth

there is immortal soul

there is no fiery hell fire

Gods purpose is to restore the earth to it original condition

God has allowed Satan time to try to prove the point that we  God does not know what is best for mankind.

All followers of Christ should have an evangelizing spirit

The good news (the gospel)that Jesus taught his followers about was a government (kingdom)that is to bring changes to the earth, and do away with Satan

God does not work individually but works though an organised arrangement

I suppose those are the main areas where we different form the majority.   If we are correct, then those that do not believe those things are not worshiping God with truth and are following the lie of Satan.

There is truth and there is lie.  We believe that the above is truth and to believe otherwise is lie

Of course it can be said the other way round as well.  So it is up to each person to examine matters for themselves.  

You close your question with the following

end quote

I am not sure how to go about answering this because it is so open.  Can you please narrow it down to wrong  things that you see JWs as having been involved with?  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.