Jehovah`s Witness/sabath day of worship

Hello Sister T.  Just read your last post and am always glad to hear JWs response with bible scripture.  I have heard on the radio so called Christian pastors and such will give a good message of the bible but out of nowhere they will throw in their own philosophy and interpretation of the bible with no scripture to back them up.  A novice might bite or go blindly but not me.   All things must match up. I even heard a pastor go as far as saying "when the bible says one god in Greek it really means three." I could go on and on but I will get to my question.  What day is proper to hold the Sabbath and worship YHWH?

Hello Jose,

Thank you for writing and for your kind words!  Yes, it's very important to examine the scriptures and make sure of all things! (Acts 17:10,11; 1 Thes 5:21)

To answer your question, the Sabbath was instituted by God after the Israelites left Egypt in 1513 BCE and he provided for them the manna in the wilderness.  (Exodus 16:26; Exodus 16:30)

And it was a day of rest for them and considered sacred. (Exodus 20:8-10, Deut. 5:12)

It was part of the Commandments that God gave to Moses, thus falling under the Mosaic Law Covenant.

Are Christians today still under the Mosaic Law and thus commanded to keep the sabbath?

The answer is no, we are no longer under the Mosaic Law Covenant that God gave to Moses.  Because Jesus' dying for us put an end to that Law Covenant by him fulfilling it by means of his ransom death.(Matt 5:17)  

A Covenant, is a contract.  For example, let's say you have someone do some work for you and you have a contract of everything that is to be done.  If that contract is ripped up or destroyed,  it still remains.  The only way that the contact would end is if he finished all the work.  Once that work is completed, the contract is fulfilled and he is no longer obligated under that contract.  

So Christians today are no longer obligated to keep the Mosaic Law, which included the Sabbath, because Jesus fulfilled that contract or covenant when he died.  (Col. 2:13,14; Matt 5:17)

Col 2:16,17 "Therefore let no man judge ​YOU​ in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; 17 for those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ"

Romans 10:4 "For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness."

Eph. 2:15 "By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, that he might create the two peoples in union with himself into one new man and make peace;"

Gal 3:23-25 "However, before the faith arrived, we were being guarded under law, being delivered up together into custody, looking to the faith that was destined to be revealed.24Consequently the Law has become our tutor leading to Christ, that we might be declared righteous due to faith.25But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a tutor."

After saying that "we have been discharged from the Law," Paul went on to refer to one of the Ten Commandments. (Romans 7:6, 7) So the Ten Commandments, including the Sabbath law, are part of the Law that came to an end. God’s worshippers, therefore, are no longer required to observe a weekly Sabbath.

But we are under the law of Christ.

Galatians 6:2 "Go on carrying the burdens of one another, and thus fulfill the law of the Christ."

Even though we are no longer obligated to observe a Sabbath day, if a Christian wants to dedicate a day of worship to Jehovah God, that's his choice to do so. (Romans 14:5)

Along with that we should worship YHWH (or JHVH) every single day of our lives.  Worship to God is how we live our lives, according to his will, but as stated above if a person wants to set aside a certain day to do so, then that's their choice.

Have a good day,

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)