Jehovah`s Witness/Who do you say I am?

Question
Sister T seems to believe she has unquestionable understanding & authority.  If someone points out any possibility other than her own, that ends the dialogue as far as she is concerned. She says "I gave you a chance" (to agree with her) and so declares you as being argumentative and pushes her reject button (slams down her court gavel... court is dismissed).

And by the way, I notice Sister T does not accept ratings.  Is it any wonder?     

So, Brenton... I will address my question to you.  I believe you will give me a civil answer.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your Question was:

QUESTION: How do you personally answer the question Jesus asked his disciples... "Who do you say I am?"

Matt 16:15 He said to them: "You, though, who do you say I am?" NWT

Mark 8:29 And he put the question to them: "You, though, who do you say I am?"  NWT

Luke 9:20 Then he said to them: "You, though, who do you say I am?" NWT

ANSWER: Jay,

The son of the living God!

Matt 16:15,16 (KJV) "He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Who is the living God?

Psalm 83:18 (KJV) "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth."

Exodus 6:3 (KJV) "3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them.

Sister T

QUESTION: Your PERSONAL answer to 'who is Jesus?' is: the son of the living God.  That's it?  He was the son of the living God.  He lived.  He died.

His birth, life here on earth, death, burial, resurrection and promise to return are not worthy of mention?  Nothing he said or did was notable?      

'Who is God?' or 'What is God's name?' was not the question  But since you brought it into the conversation, I'd like to point out these three scriptures:

EXODUS 3:14 And God said unto Moses, IAM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
EXODUS 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you; this is my name FOR EVER, and this is my memorial unto ALL GENERATIONS.

When did FOR EVER stop meaning FOR EVER?

And additionally, EXODUS 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them.  ~~~ Does this mean the disciples/apostles were apostates because they did not know that God had a 'personal' name & it was Jehovah?

When do the scriptures say God began being known as Jehovah?  And speaking of names, when do the scriptures say Michael's name was changed to Jesus? And then changed back to Michael. To be consistent, wouldn't 'neither shall thy name any more be called Michael' apply as it did when God changed Abram's name to Abraham & Sarai's to Sarah?  God told Abram 'neither shall thy name any more be called Abram'.  At no time did Abraham or Sarah go back to using their original name. I believe that was to prevent confusion about their identity.  Wouldn't that also be true of Jesus' name change?  Scripture says:  "For God is not the author of confusion...".  I Cor 14:33

I don't find any scriptures where the Son of God called his father Jehovah. Perhaps you know of some. Wouldn't Jesus have known God's name was Jehovah?  
And instruct others to call his father by his true name?  Did Jesus refer to his father as Jehovah when speaking to others about him?

When Jesus told the disciples how to pray, this is how he began:  "Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name...." and ending with "for if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: but if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."  Jesus did not use the name Jehovah in this prayer.  He did use "Father" three times.  Why didn't he use "Jehovah" those three times?  If the only proper way to refer to God is by the use of Jehovah, wouldn't this have been the perfect time for the son of God to have shown us that by his example?   

Jay

Following is the reason:

I'm not here to argue with you and debate, I gave you a chance but now its back to reject. Have a good day

Expert: Sister T

If you'd like to ask another question in the category, please come to http://www.allexperts.com/el/Jehovah-Witness/

This message is sent by an auto responder and cannot process replies.

Thanks,
Allexperts.com

ActionsMark as UnreadMark as ReadMark as SpamStarClear StarClassmatesJanJulieLindaLoriPat Previous Next

ANSWER: Hello Jay,

Thank you for the question.

First, may I say, that if you had asked me the first question you asked Sister T, I would possible have give you a very similar answer based on the information in the question .  It is only from your second question that I see you wanted a lot more detail.

Like Sister T, I would use the same texts to say that Jesus was the "Only Begotten" Son of God.  That has already been answered.

Now may I ask for clarification as to what "ALL" that you from tat question. From your second question I gather you wanted to know how I would see the Life of Jesus. I gather that from the following

Quote
end quote

From you original question, it possibly would not have crossed my mind that you wanted a "life story" summary of Jesus

To me, the rest of your second question is not related to the first one for you said

quote
Who is God?' or 'What is God's name?' was not the question  But since you brought it into the conversation, I'd like to point out these three scriptures:"
end quote

I am happy to reply to all of that, but can we have it in smaller pieces please.  I am not very knowledgeable (as in I do not retain a lot of knowledge).  I can not sit down with most questions and produce an answer of the top oh my head.  I forget a lot of things so I must do a lot of research through my files to formulate an answer.  In the information in your questions I can see a lot of work a head of me.  No doubt you have noticed I have a problem with being precise.  I like to give answers in the same detail that I would like to receive information. Please when you ask me a question, give me as much detail as possible as to what you are actually looking for in an answer. If you keep that in mind I am happy to respond.

QUESTION: Brenton,

I wonder if both you & 'Sister T' missed a word in my original question?  And that was the word 'PERSONALLY'.  Who do you PERSONALLY say Jesus is?  On a PERSONAL basis, who is Jesus to you?  The question wasn't "Who does the scripture say Jesus is"?  'Sister T' inserted the question "Who is the living God?" into the dialogue and answered it herself. Was I not allowed to respond?

My questions: "That's it?" "His birth, life here on earth, death, burial, resurrection and promise to return are not worthy of mention?"  "Nothing he said or did was notable?" were more statements of amazement that the only thing that comes to mind when 'Sister T' thinks of Jesus is that he is "The Son of the Living God". Although Jesus is the Son of God, that in no way describes the magnitude of his works & his personhood.  At least Peter in Mark 8:29 said "Thou art the Christ."  Peter saw Jesus as the Messiah, Savior of the world.  And he had an up close & personal relationship with him.   And Brenton, I think you are well aware that I was not asking for a biography of the life of Jesus.

You said: To me, the rest of your second question is not related to the first one for you said ~~ quote Who is God?' or 'What is God's name?' was not the question  But since you brought it into the conversation, I'd like to point out these three scriptures:"
end quote
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The following is 'Sister T' complete answer:

quote Who is the living God?

Exodus 6:3 (KJV) "3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them. unquote

~~~~~~
It was she who brought God into the dialogue, not I.  Therefore   I pointed out that I had not asked 'Who is God?'  Or 'What is God's name?  She changed the subject, not I.  I merely responded to it.
~~~~~~~~~~

So, true enough... the second topic of the dialogue was not related to the first topic, but 'Sister T' was the one who went off topic. Again, am I not allowed to respond?  And what you call a second question was merely something for her to consider. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousess:"  II Tim 3:16

Jay

Answer
Hello Jay

Thank you for the follow up.

First I appreciate that you are now giving a little bit more detail in your question as to what you are wanting from an answer.  We are not mind readers and can not discern from a few words the intent of a persons question.

Now my opinion of the first question is that it was a very specific  “direct” question  - “How do you personally answer the question Jesus asked his disciples... "Who do you say I am?" “ - the answer Sister T gave is her personal response to that question.  And it would be my first response to that question   “Jesus is the  Only begotten SON of the Almighty”

Now,  Sister T,  for what ever reason, in her  first answer was direct and to the point of YOUR question.  The first text she quoted from the KING JAMES BIBLE mentioned that Jesus was - “the Son of  the Son of the living God." ."   So Sister T just gave a brief reply as to just who “ the living God" was.  That has a direct bearing on you question explaining just who Jesus is.

These sorts of difficulties can be avoided is questions are clear. The one answering the question will know what to say and the one asking will get the answer they are looking for.

I will keep this short by not providing (at this time) scriptural support.  If you want want a scriptural reply to any of the bellow ask them in separate questions.

OK I will give you some further PERSONAL thought as to who Jesus is   …

Jesus is the first born of ALL creation,

Gods master worker THROUGH whom (by the agency of) all things were created.

As the first born he was the ONLY one that could provide a corresponding for the life of all mankind, - being the equivalent to Adam.

By his shed blood could only the price be paid for Adams sin – that makes him our “saviour” (appointed by God to be so)

We worship the SAME GOD that he worships

He set the example of what is acceptable worship of HIS God

He is the head of the Christian Congregation – he alone is our leader (Lord, Master)

His leadership points us to God. (The Almighty ruler of the universe)

Jesus has been given all authority (by his God) to lead us.

No one can come to the Father except through him

He is the mediator of a new covenant between God and a new nation of Israel (a Spiritual one not natural)

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn