Jehovah`s Witness/What is spirituality from a JW's perspective?

Question
What is spirituality mean to a JW?

Answer
Hello and thank you for writing!

That's a very interesting question you have asked and I will do my best to answer, I hope to your satisfaction.

In short, spirituality to a JW is a matter of life and death, it means that we live our lives in a way that pleases God, we strive to cultivate the mind of Christ and follow Jesus' steps closely, (1 Peter 2:21; 4:1) when making decisions in life we do not lean upon our own understanding (Prov. 3:5,6) but we let Jehovah's holy spirit guide us.  

But it's up to each person to put forth an effort to think as Jesus did and walk in his footsteps.  And it's an ongoing process that we pray to God for help with.

The more we have the mind of Christ, or resemble him, the more deeper our spirituality will become and thus we'll have peace now and look forward to God's promise of everlasting life. (Romans 8:6; Phil 4:7)

1 Cor. 2:14-16 "But a physical man does not receive the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know [them], because they are examined spiritually. 15 However, the spiritual man examines indeed all things, but he himself is not examined by any man. 16 For “who has come to know the mind of Jehovah, that he may instruct him?” But we do have the mind of Christ."

In order to have the mind of Christ, or have the same mental attitude that Jesus had, (Romans 15:5; Phil 2:5) one must get to know his way of thinking.  And we can find that out by studying the Bible accounts regarding Jesus and how he dealt with people.  (John 17:3).  

Then you will see how Jesus was with others and the type of person he was, and by thinking on these and reflecting on how he acted and putting that into use with our own situations by imitating our leader Jesus that will help us to "go on growing in undeserved kindness and knowledge of our lord and savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18)

Jesus "set the pattern" (John 13:15) for us to follow and he received Jehovah's Holy spirit at his baptism and was "full of holy spirit" the Bible says.  (Luke 3:21,22; 4:1)

Jesus told his followers to pray for Jehovah's holy spirit (Luke 11:9-13).

That is very important because if we do so, if we let Jehovah's holy spirit guide us in all that we do, God's holy spirit has the power to transform a person's mind so that it starts to resemble that of Christ.

Romans 12:1,2 "consequently I entreat ​YOU​ by the compassions of God, brothers, to present ​YOUR​ bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with ​YOUR​ power of reason. 2 And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making ​YOUR​ mind over, that ​YOU​ may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

And when we let God's spirit work in us, it produces qualities of that spirit, like love, joy, peace, mildness, goodness, kindness, faith, long suffering, and self control.  These are the "fruitage of the spirit" (Gal. 5:22,23).  As JW's we pray to God to help us cultivate them in all that we do.

As Jesus prayed to his Father, we do also:

Mark 1:35 "And early in the morning, while it was still dark, he rose up and went outside and left for a lonely place, and there he began praying" (Also see: Luke 5:16; 22:41,44; Matt 14:23; Matt 26:36-44; Luke 6:12; Heb 5:7)

As Jesus preached about Jehovah's kingdom, we do also:

Luke 4:43 "But he said to them: “Also to other cities I must declare the good news of the kingdom of God, because for this I was sent forth."  (Also see: Mark 1:38; Mark 1:14,15; Matt 28:19,20; Matt 24:14)

The preaching work is accomplished only by the power of God's holy spirit, and having a share in it as Jesus did is a sign of true spirituality. (Acts 1:8)

Again there's other things involved, but to sum it up, Spirituality to us means we let Jehovah's holy spirit guide our lives.  This includes having love for God's word the Bible, manifesting the fruitage of the spirit, praying on a regular basis with sincerity, and sharing the Good News with others.

That's what spirituality is from a JW perspective.

Have a wonderful day, follow up if needed!

Sister T

jw.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T