Jehovah`s Witness/The tongue, who can tame it?

Question
QUESTION: After reading some of your answers & particularly the one to Kevin on 2/15/13 regarding the subject 'Hades & Sheol', these scriptures came to mind.

~~~Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinks within himself, so he is...(NAS)

~~~James 1:26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue , he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. (NIV)
~~~James 3:5-6 & 8-11  So, too,the tongue is a little member and yet makes great brags.  Look!  How little a fire it takes to set so great a woodland on fire!  Well, the tongue is a fire.  The tongue is constituted a world of unrighteousness among our members, for it spots up all the body and sets the wheel of natural life aflame and it is set aflame by Gehenna.  But the tongue, not one of mankind can get it tamed.  An unruly injurious thing, it is full of death-dealing poison.  With it we bless Jehovah, even (the) Father, and yet with it we curse men who have come into existence in the likeness of God.  Out of the mouth come forth blessing and cursing.  It is not proper, my brothers for these things to go on occuring this way.  A fountain does not cause the sweet and the bitter to bubble out of the same opening, does it?  (NWT)

What should we Learn from the Great Teacher & The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived?

ANSWER: Hello Jamie,

I really do not see a real question here, so I'm assuming you do not like my answers and that's fine if you do not.  You have a right to your own opinion, doesn't mean I agree with it, but nevertheless, it's your opinion and I respect that.

What should I learn from Jesus?  Well I learned that he didn't let false teachers tell lies on his Father, and I learned that he preached with boldness and with truth.  I learned that when false teachers tried to trick him with their words and cunning that he did not water down the truths from the Bible, I also learned that people should pull the rafter out of their own eye before they try to pull the straw out of someone else's.  Plus much, much more...  

Have a nice day,

Sister T

QUESTION: Did I say I didn't like your answers?  No. I do find the way you deliver them to be self-righteous, condescending, combative & just plain rude.  But, Of course, that is only my opinion.  You, on the other hand, may be of the opinion that your blistering comments are appropriate when someone disagrees with you.  Ever read "How to win friends & influence people"? Or heard the old adage: You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?
~~~  Are you implying that using scripture is a means of trickery?  That using scriptures waters down the truths of the Bible?
~~~  You indict yourself with the rafter or straw in the eye comparison.  Wasn't that exactly what you were doing with Kevin?
~~~ And there were questions in my comment other than: What should we learn from The Great Teacher and The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived?  The tongue, who can tame it?  And a fountain does not cause the sweet and the bitter to bubble out of the same opening, does it?  (NWT)

ANSWER: Hello again Jamie,

Well Jamie, no you didn't come out and say you didn't like my answers.  But that's why I said, "I'm assuming you don't like my answers."  If you didn't have a problem with my answers then you wouldn't be writing to me complaining about them, so it's pretty obvious.

And yes, as I said and still say, you have a right to your own opinion.  It's funny how people such as yourself come on here and send me rude comments by doing the very exact things you accuse me of doing.  All the angry words you just typed that you say describes myself, is exactly what you are doing.  

I'm not here to WIN FRIENDS, This forum doesn't mention anything about it being a place to meet, make and/or win friends.  I'm here to answer questions about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe from the Bible.

There is no Hellfire where people will be tortured by Satan in fire forever and ever according to the scriptures.  So if that gentleman disagrees it's not with me Jamie, it's with what the Bible says, unfortunately.

Yes, I've heard that saying about you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, is that what you are trying to do right now?  

You said: Are you implying that using scripture is a means of trickery?  That using scriptures waters down the truths of the Bible?

Did you not ask me what I learned from Jesus?  Here you are trying to twist around what I said, I said "false teachers tried to trick him with their words and cunning and that he did not water down the truths from the Bible"  Are you saying that is not true?  

Matt 22:15-18 (bold mine) "Then the Pharisees went their way and took counsel together in order to trap him in his speech. 16 So they dispatched to him their disciples, together with party followers of Herod, saying: “Teacher, we know you are truthful and teach the way of God in truth, and you do not care for anybody, for you do not look upon men’s outward appearance. 17 Tell us, therefore, What do you think? Is it lawful to pay head tax to Caesar or not?” 18 But Jesus, knowing their wickedness, said: “Why do ​YOU​ put me to the test, hypocrites?"

Luke 20:23 "But he detected their cunning and said to them:"

So as you can see the false teachers tried to trick Jesus with their words and cunning. But I guess you must have assumed that I was applying that to you, but I was not.  

You said: "You indict yourself with the rafter or straw in the eye comparison.  Wasn't that exactly what you were doing with Kevin?

No, not at all.  The only way I can "indict" myself as you say is if I am going to him telling him all the wrong things he is doing without looking at the wrong things I'm doing, like you call yourself doing to me right now.  

But that is not the case as he writes to me on a board that is for questions to JW's, I do not write to him, I do not know all the things he does, I can only respond to what he writes to me about what he believes.  And disproving a false belief with the use of the Bible is in no way trying to pull a rafter out of his eye, in fact it's more to trying to get him to open his eyes.  So that scripture does not even apply in my response to the gentleman about why Hellfire is not scriptural. Plus I've told him many times to believe whatever he wants to, I'm not stopping him.  

You said:  "And there were questions in my comment other than: What should we learn from The Great Teacher and The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived?  The tongue, who can tame it?  

Well since "The tongue, who can tame it?" was in the subject line, and then you said "After reading some of your answers & particularly the one to Kevin on 2/15/13 regarding the subject 'Hades & Sheol', these scriptures came to mind." You listed several scriptures that basically answered what was in the subject line.  Now do you really think that I believe you were asking me that?  I mean you made it clear how you felt about my responses and that is why you put that in the subject line and also quoted the scripture that answers that question.  So you already have the answer. Let's not play games here.

But if you would like me to answer that, then I will, here is the answer from the Bible:

James 3:8 "But the tongue, not one of mankind can get it tamed. An unruly injurious thing, it is full of death-dealing poison"

You said you ask me this "And a fountain does not cause the sweet and the bitter to bubble out of the same opening, does it?  (NWT)"

Jamie, you quoted a scripture that ended in a question after you said that they were the ones that came to your mind after you read some of my answers. So it didn't seem like that was a question to me, but rather your way of rebuking me, as is proof by all that you have said.

At any rate, the answer is in the Bible, by continuing to read in that same scripture, if we take up from what you quoted there, James 3:5-6 & 8-11, we will see another similar question raised in verse 12, then it goes on to give the answer:

James 3:12-18 "My brothers, a fig tree cannot produce olives or a vine figs, can it? Neither can salt water produce sweet water.

13 Who is wise and understanding among ​YOU? Let him show out of his fine conduct his works with a mildness that belongs to wisdom. 14 But if ​YOU​ have bitter jealousy and contentiousness in ​YOUR​ hearts, do not be bragging and lying against the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is [the] earthly, animal, demonic. 16 For where jealousy and contentiousness are, there disorder and every vile thing are.

17 But the wisdom from above is first of all chaste, then peaceable, reasonable, ready to obey, full of mercy and good fruits, not making partial distinctions, not hypocritical. 18 Moreover, the fruit of righteousness has its seed sown under peaceful conditions for those who are making peace." (NWT)

Good Day!

Sister T

jw.org

QUESTION: Me thinks you protest too much.  Did I even mention the topic of your discussion with Kevin?  No!  Other than to identify when your comments were made & with whom.  Did I say I had a problem with your answers?  No!  Did I comment on your style of delivery?  Yes!  Did I say or imply I was defending anything Kevin said?  No!  Did I mention 'hellfire'?  No!  You did.  I am not angry with you.  If I was, I would say so.  And yes, I did read James 3: 12-18.

If you are implying the scriptures in James 3: 12-18 apply to me:  What have I said that indicates I am bitterly jealous?  Really! Jealous of what?  Holding contention in my heart?  Stating an opinion is contentious?  Bragging & lying?  What did I brag about?  What did I lie about?  Being demonic & vile?  Tell me how?

Don't try to dazzle me with an abundance of words.  Your verbosity does not impress me.  Nor do your 'cut & paste' skills.  You speak much, but say little.  And I very seriously doubt that with your attitude you would ever be considered as a candidate in a Miss Congeniality contest or a Nobel Peace Prize. Not that I think you would want to, but you know what I mean.

In addition to what I originally said about your style of delivery, I don't think your attitude would compel anyone to join the organization you represent.  But that's just my opinion.

Answer
Hello Jamie,

I simply was replying to the things you referenced and the questions you asked.  As I mentioned before you have a right to your own opinion, and I will respect that.

Since you mentioned that I had not answered all your questions in regards to "the tongue who can tame it?" you listed a scripture and I simply said that James 3:12-18 was the answer to that question you said I didn't answer.  I was in no way saying that James 3:12-18 applied to you.  

If you felt that I was, then I am sorry and I do apologize.

I am not trying to impress anyone Jamie, I'm just here to try my best to help people who have Bible questions regarding the beliefs of JW's.  As there are many people in this world who feel that God is to blame for the bad that happens to us, (James 1:13,14)  Many people wonder about why we are here, and what will the future hold. (Romans 6:23; Rev 21:3,4)  The Bible answers all those questions, with harmonious satisfying answers.  

I will leave it at that and hope you have a good day.

Sister T

jw.org

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T