Jehovah`s Witness/The credibiltiy of the Watchtower

the one who knows all wrote at 2013-09-25 05:31:46
The Watchtower and or all the other publications used By JWs are not nor have they ever claimed to be inspired.  It is never claimed that "Jehovah is the One Who provides them the interpretations of Scripture"  Your comment makes it sound as if we believe that Jehovah himself has a hand in directing what to publish in way of interpretation.  This is wrong. We do not believe Jehovah has a hand in what to publish.  It is only by continuing to study the Scriptures and delving deep into then that treasures are found.  There are still many more gems to be found in to Bible we have to keep digging. Because the Bible is Gods Inspired word, by digging into it we are letting the holy spirit guide us and because God used the holy spirit in delivering the Bible in that way God guides and no other

Derrick wrote at 2013-09-26 14:10:10
You wrote..." It is never claimed that "Jehovah is the One Who provides them the interpretations of Scripture"

Really?  You must've just missed it, although it was right there in the answer.  Read these again....

" His remnant of faithful followers catch the glory light from the unfolding of the Holy Scriptures, which were written for our day and which Jehovah's appointed interpreter Christ Jesus explains to us. (Watchtower, May 1, 1944 p. 138)

"Jehovah as the great interpreter makes known the meaning of his revelations in his due time, and speculation by men cannot bring to light the true meaning of prophecy before time. Jehovah has provided a channel, the faithful and discreet slave class, who are given spiritual food at the proper time, and this spiritual food includes among other things the understandings of the prophecies in the course of their fulfillments.  (Matt. 24:45 NW) Jehovah's witnesses themselves are not nor can they be interpreters of prophecies. but as fast as the superior authorities Jehovah and Christ Jesus reveal the interpretations through their provided channel that fast do God's people publish them" (Watchtower, April 15, 1952, p. 253)

And there are more that I can provide.  I simply didn't want to list too many at once, making the answer too long.  While I acknowledge that most JWs will say the WT is not inspired, there is no question that the WT HAS claimed that they get the interpretations from God.  

All a person has to do, is be able to read, to see that.  

Rusty Q wrote at 2013-09-29 03:38:43
I have been a Witness for about half a century. We have never in my experience claimed to be inspired, but our literature does claim that our organization is "spirit-directed." Basically, that means that God's spirit will prod or nudge us in certain directions.

However, since all of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses are sinful, imperfect, as is every human, our response to the spirit's direction will not always be ideal. Naturally, that also applies to those writing our literature and directing our worldwide work. People make mistakes. Even the apostles, trained by Jesus Christ himself, still made mistakes. See Acts 15:36-39, which involved two Christian apostles.

Nevertheless, Jehovah's Witnesses do an excellent job of showing love for their fellowman by preaching, by offering aid, and by not participating in the wars of the nations. (Mark 12:31 and context)It is not that we are inherently better than anyone else, it's simply that we try hard to respond to the leading of God's spirit and the Scriptures. So now you have an example of what we mean by "spirit directed."  

Derrick wrote at 2013-09-30 19:47:13
Hello, Rusty.  It seems we have 2 different JWs, talking about 2 different wordings....My reply was to the guy who thinks he "knows all", when he said that " It is never claimed that "Jehovah is the One Who provides them the interpretations of Scripture"

My comments were to show that this is not the case.  

Now, you are writing, saying that they never claim to be "inspired"...just nudged by God's spirit.  

Whatever you wish to call it, the fact remains that the Watchtower DOES claim to be God's mouthpiece, and the only channel by which He speaks, therefore, the result is the same...The many dangerous and costly blunders of the Society, after making a claim like this, only give credence to the fact that God is not the One leading them to teach these things.

I'm not even going to comment on where you talk about "JWs doing an excellent job of showing love to the fellow man", after I have personally been the recipient of hundreds of lies and attacks on this forum, from these people who are supposed to be "showing the love".  

Abdijah wrote at 2013-11-26 17:40:03
“Someone may ask, Do you, then, claim infallibility and that every sentence appearing in “The Watch Tower” publications is stated with absolute correctness? Assuredly we make no such claim and have never made such a claim. What motive can our opponents have in so charging against us? Are they not seeking to set up a falsehood to give themselves excuse for making attacks and to endeavor to pervert the judgments of others ?” Zion's Watchtower and Herald of Christ's Presence , 15 September 1909.

“The Watchtower is founded on the very pinnacle of reliable wisdom, namely, God's Word the Bible … because its words find their foundation in God's Word…. However the Watchtower does not claim to be inspired in its utterances, nor is it dogmatic . It invites careful and critical examination of its contents in the light of the Scriptures. Its purpose is to aid others to know Jehovah and his purposes toward mankind, and to announce Christ's established kingdom as our only hope.” Name and purpose of the Watchtower , 15 August 1950, 262-26

"This Volume makes no claim to infallibility and no claim of any direct inspiration from God in the interpretation of His Word . On the contrary, it does claim that the Divine Revelation is the Bible. Its endeavour has been to collate the Bible evidences and to offer suggestions in respect to their significance.

Dealing with subjects so difficult that they are rarely touched by others, it is not to be considered strange if some of the suggestions made in this Volume have not been fulfilled with absolute accuracy to the very letter. But the author, the publishers, and the thousands of readers of this Volume are not ashamed of its presentations, and are still handing it forth to all who have an interest in Bible study - as most interesting and most helpful in an understanding of the Lord's Word.— The Time Is at Hand , page ii, (forward), 1916

I could present more but these are sufficient.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.