Jehovah`s Witness/Gehenna

Question
Hi DW

Welcome back.

I wanted to ask you what Gehenna is. I was speaking to my friend who is a witness and he said it's a different place to hell so I'm quite confused right now can you help me.

Answer
Hi mate

Thanks for writing

I'm unaware of the conversation you have been having and exactly to what you are referring. To tell me your JW friend told you "Gehenna is a different place to hell" could mean a number of different things depending on the context of the conversation. So I'll give an answer and then if you need to follow up you're more than welcome.

The truth is when you die you can go to three places

1)Heaven

2)Sheol/Hades

3)Gehenna

Heaven is for the royal priesthood

Rev 5:

9 "you bought persons for God out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, 10 and you made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to rule as kings over the earth"

Rev 7:

4  "And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand"

Sheol/Hades is where most people go when they die. It's just a state of sleep, which you will be waken from.

Eccl 9:

5 "as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all"

Luke 8:

52 "STOP weeping, for she did not die but is sleeping"

Acts 24:

15 "there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous"

Gehenna is the one where you don't want to go. That's it if you go to Gehenna, you will never exist again ever.

Now the reality is ,it isn't literally a different place to Sheol/Hades . All it means is Jehovah forget's you. He forgets your blueprint your DNA he forgets how to resurrect you or who you are. It's really Jehovah's state of mind toward you.

Let's see the scripture again. This time i'll add brackets

Luke 8:

52 "STOP weeping, for she did not die(go to Gehenna) but is sleeping(In Sheol/Hades)"

Here's a further scripture

Matt 10:

28  "And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul, but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul and body in Ge·hen′na"

So a person who go's to Sheol/Hades isn't really dead they're still alive in Jehovah's memory on the other hand a person who Jehovah forgets is really dead in Gehenna.

Who are these??

They are the wicked. Not the unrighteous, but the wicked. It's two separate things . We've seen this scripture.

Acts 24:

15 " there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous"

So we know the unrighteous will get a resurrection.

But these here would be among the wicked now.

Heb 6:

4  "For it is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, and who have tasted the heavenly free gift, and who have become partakers of holy spirit, 5 and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, 6 but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame"

These are among those who would go to Gehenna.

Now I think my explanation is simple enough, however if not here's a really simple explanation of the difference between Sheol/Hades and Gehenna. Here's the difference in one scripture.

Sheol/Hades:

Eccl 9:

5 "as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all(until they are awaken in the resurrection)"

Gehenna:

Eccl 9:

5 "as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all(for all eternity)"

Follow up if you need

Take Care  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW