Jehovah`s Witness/Missed a lot

QUESTION: Hello again, Derrick. I was surprised to see that I was the topic of discussion...again. Apparently, my comments must have a really hit a nerve with Mr. Ed. He just won't let it go. I find it very amusing. As one of your "followers" (HAHA), I will continue to ask you questions, and make observations whether Mr. Ed likes it or not. I am sure, they would like nothing more than for only their views and opinions to be shown, but they cannot control that on this site(though they try). Hence, the "school yard bully" tactic. As we have said many times before, they do themselves a great disservice with this behavior. Take Care Derrick,and thanks again for your honest and sincere answers.  Rita3r3

ANSWER: Good afternoon, Rita.  How are you today?  My, my, you have become quite popular with Eddie G, and he is completely fascinated with the new word that you taught him, as he keeps using it over and over.

You said:  "I was surprised to see that I was the topic of discussion...again."

REPLY:  Well, to be honest, so was I.  I still have no idea why he felt the need to take a shot at you, instead of just answering the issue we were discussing.  I opened his answer to read it, and saw where he made those comments directed at you, and I was like..."What in the world????"  

I believe what has happened, is that when you pointed out how he obfuscates, it upset his obviously very delicate feelings, as he has mentioned that word several times now.  Its obviously a sore spot with him.  

All I can say to Eddie, is....Calm down, my friend.  Nobody is mad at anybody, at least not on this side.  If you're gonna survive as an expert here, you better develop some thicker skin than what you apparently have.  Just think if you had to put up with the stuff I have had to put up with, from YOUR "brethren".  If Rita pointing out how you obfuscate (and you do), upset you, then just don't do it.  That would be the simplest solution.

But seriously, just try to stay on track in what we are discussing.

Rita, you wrote...."As one of your "followers" (HAHA), I will continue to ask you questions, and make observations whether Mr. Ed likes it or not."

Yes, please do so any time you wish.  If nothing else, Eddie needs to learn he isn't everyone's boss, and cannot tell them who they can speak to, and whom they can't.  Your observations are always welcome.

You said...."I am sure, they would like nothing more than for only their views and opinions to be shown, but they cannot control that on this site(though they try). Hence, the "school yard bully" tactic. As we have said many times before, they do themselves a great disservice with this behavior."

That is precisely what is at the bottom of it.  They would like to see all non-Witnesses off this site altogether, because they think this site is for JWs only, which it is not.  As long as the answers given regarding their doctrine are ACCURATE, and I go to great lengths to see this is the case because I know how it feels when THEY lie about my beliefs, then they really have no valid objection.  But I will not leave out relevant facts and slant my answers in the Organization's favor, as many of them will.  Nor will I find fault unnecessarily.  There have actually been times I have commended the Witnesses for a particular aspect of their religion, when it is warranted.  But on doctrinal matters, I'm sorry....their major doctrines simply don't line up with Scripture, and I'm not going to twist the Scriptures to make it happen.

And also, I am simply not the person they are going to "bully".  

Thanks for writing, Rita, and again...I am sorry you had to be the target of a low-down, cheap shot, on a topic that you hadn't even made a comment on.  His actions were uncalled for, and as you said, they do themselves a GREAT disservice in so doing.

God bless, and have a great evening.

QUESTION: Hi Derrick, It never ceases to amaze me how Jw's seem to prefer a one sided conversation with people. They want a question asked, they want to give their answer, they want the reader to accept that answer, and move on. They frown upon any kind of challenging rebuttal or follow up, and they most certainly dislike when other "experts" are available to give opposing viewpoints and opinions. I agree with you when you said that the "door to door" approach allows for them to have more control due to their over zealous preparations. When put in a more challenging situation, its becomes very obvious they have no control,and therefore, become rude and defensive. The same word "agenda" is uttered repeatedly from many of them when referring to non Jw's. Obviously, this came from the Watchtower Society (which provides them every excuse in the book)and they just blindly accept it, and nod their heads in agreement. This is NOT unity, this is mind control. What they will never understand is that the reason many question them on their doctrine and their explanation of it, is that it makes no sense. There is no logic. The truth is easy. One should never have to get defensive and paranoid when you truly have it. Take Care Derrick.

I believe the preference for a one-sided discussion, stems from the fact that the JW views himself/herself as the only one with any valuable "truth" to share.  What could a non-JW possibly have to offer them, by way of "truth"?  

One thing about Eddie G (I hate to keep having to single him out, but he provides so many examples), is that he typifies what I believe is the typical JW mindset.  Did you happen to see a question he answered a week or so back, from a guy named Ron?  Ron wrote an initial question to Eddie, and kept it low-key.  Once Eddie replied, Ron followed up with some excellent points, showing the flaw in Eddie's argument.  It was quite interesting, especially a comment Eddie made to him in his answer to the follow-up.  

I QUOTE:  "I'm a bit puzzled as to your type of questioning. Not sure actually what your looking for. If it's the truth or just making a point to elevate yourself above the rest as the one who knows it all. If you do, well good for you but at least be honest in what you're asking."

Now, when I read that statement, I was struck by it.  Notice that Eddie, after being given information he was not ready for, and being shown the flaw in his first answer (in a VERY polite way), he questions Ron about his motives.  And he only lists TWO possible motives for Ron....

1.  Either Ron is seeking "truth"

2.  Ron wants to "elevate himself" and be a know-it-all, followed by the question "what are you up to?"

Eddie never considered the 3rd possibility....that maybe Ron had some valuable truth to share with Eddie, and simply wanted to do that, without the desire to uplift himself.  (Of course, Ron actually confirmed this was his desire in his next follow-up.)

But that really confirmed to me, the mentality that these people have....If you disagree with their programmed answers on ANYTHING, you must have an ulterior motive of some sort.  They are the only ones with any "truth" to share, and they are the only ones with pure motives for sharing it.  

Yes, you are also correct about them becoming rude and defensive, and even MALICIOUS in their responses to people, when their talking points are no longer working.  Rita, let me just clarify something here.  I'm not gonna go off on Rando again (at least not at this time), but have you seen the posts from him, about me, in the past 2 weeks?  Nothing short of amazing, and a perfect example of this.  Even to the point of his getting a question from someone named Bob, that I don't even know and have NEVER conversed with, and Rando going off on him and using his "answer" to attack me.  Accusing Bob of "being my follower", also.  Some of these people border on insanity.  And to beat it all, not ONE of the things he claims I believe or said, do I believe or ever did say.  Nothing but lies...

There is something seriously wrong with their mentality, and I honestly don't know how they can't see it.  I can honestly say that I have nothing PERSONALLY against any of them as people.  I do point out their false teachings, and like on this issue of the cross, their gross twisting of the facts when they present inaccurate information.  But it is NEVER personal, and as a Christian, I can not have anything but compassion in my heart for them, and be right with God myself.  

Yes, they think everyone has an "agenda".  Problem is, they never think the person's "agenda" might be motivated out of genuine concern for their souls.  They think it is always something evil or sinister.  And that, unfortunately, is the way they view outsiders.

You are correct...They should not have to get paranoid and defensive, if they really have "the truth".  

Have a great evening, Rita.  And thanks for writing.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.