Jehovah`s Witness/i need help understanding these scriptures

Question
Isaiah 63

American Standard Version (ASV)

9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

10 But they rebelled, and grieved his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and himself fought against them.

11 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherds of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit in the midst of them?

12 that caused his glorious arm to go at the right hand of Moses? that divided the waters before them, to make himself an everlasting name?

13 that led them through the depths, as a horse in the wilderness, so that they stumbled not?

Who is the angel in verse 9, and who or what is the arm in verse 12?

thank you, Benjamin...

Answer
Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your question. Here is the information I found in the Watchtower library to answer your questions regarding Isaiah 63:9-13:

verse 9
--- Jehovah’s “personal messenger” is evidently his angel, for this messenger saved the Israelites.—Compare Ex 14:19, 20.

verse 10
--- Never, though, should we presume upon God’s loving-kindness...Jehovah warned that although he is a God merciful and gracious, “by no means will he give exemption from punishment.” (Exodus 34:6, 7) The Israelites put themselves in line for punishment by establishing a pattern of rebellion. “Do not forget how you have provoked Jehovah your God in the wilderness,” reminded Moses. “From the day that you went out of the land of Egypt until your coming to this place you people have proved rebellious in your behavior with Jehovah.” (Deuteronomy 9:7) By resisting the wholesome effects of God’s spirit, they have hurt, or grieved, it. (Ephesians 4:30) They have forced Jehovah to become an enemy of theirs.—Leviticus 26:17; Deuteronomy 28:63.

verses 11-13
---Yes, suffering the results of disobedience, the Jews long for the days when Jehovah was their Deliverer instead of their enemy. They recall how their “shepherds,” Moses and Aaron, led them safely through the Red Sea. (Psalm 77:20; Isaiah 51:10) They recall a time when instead of hurting God’s spirit, they were led by it through the guidance given by Moses and other spirit-appointed older men. (Numbers 11:16, 17) They also remember seeing Jehovah’s “beautiful arm” of strength being used in their behalf through Moses! In time, God took them out of the great and fear-inspiring wilderness and led them into a land flowing with milk and honey—a place of rest. (Deuteronomy 1:19; Joshua 5:6; 22:4) Now, though, the Israelites suffer because of having lost their favorable relationship with God!

verse
--- The arm is Jehovah's arm of strength the he used to protect his people.

All of this information came from the Isaiah Prophecy book, pages 356-359, Chapter 24, Paragraphs 17-20

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister Pam B