Jehovah`s Witness/Prayers on Luke 11; 9-13

Question
Hello Sir,
 This scripture in Luke is 11: 9, 10, 11, 12,& 13 is it referring to prayer when it talks about asking. And can prayer really help us fight the evils of this world? I've tried prayer before and it doesn't seem to help. Maybe its  because I am not living a true Christian life. Can you explain the scripture and what the Lord expects of us?

Thanking you for your help.

I remain,
Chuck

Answer
Hi Chuck from Thailand,

Thank you for inquiring with All Experts. Prayers are one of the most special privileges and or gifts that God has given us. In fact, many of the Bible’s discourses are prayers that are directed to God and God only. Lets use another method Chuck and look at other Bible texts that are in harmony with Luke Chapter 11:9-13.

(Psalm 5:1, 2) 5 To my sayings do give ear, O Jehovah; Do understand my sighing.  2 Do pay attention to the sound of my cry for help, O my King and my God, because to you I pray.
(Psalm 65:2) O Hearer of prayer, even to you people of all flesh will come.
(Matthew 6:9) “YOU must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.

Now to whom does God hear prayers from? Allow the Bible to answer that question since the Author; Jehovah God is the One who wrote it.

(Ephesians 2:11-16) 11 Therefore keep bearing in mind that formerly YOU were people of the nations as to flesh; “uncircumcision” YOU were called by that which is called “circumcision” made in the flesh with hands— 12 that YOU were at that particular time without Christ, alienated from the state of Israel and strangers to the covenants of the promise, and YOU had no hope and were without God in the world. 13 But now in union with Christ Jesus YOU who were once far off have come to be near by the blood of the Christ. 14 For he is our peace, he who made the two parties one and destroyed the wall in between that fenced them off. 15 By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, that he might create the two peoples in union with himself into one new man and make peace; 16 and that he might fully reconcile both peoples in one body to God through the torture stake, because he had killed off the enmity by means of himself.

(Acts 10:34, 35) 34 At this Peter opened his mouth and said: “For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.

So, we have learned that Jehovah God is the only one to whom all prayers ought to be directed to. All prayers from people who fear God and work in righteousness God will listen to and may grant.

Another determining factor, then, is the heart of the individual and what his heart is moving him to do. (Psalm 119:145; Lamentations 3:41) Those who observe God’s commandments and do “the things that are pleasing in his eyes” have the assurance that his “ears” are also open to them.—1John 3:22; Psalm 10:17; Proverb 15:8; 1Peter 3:12.

Now those practicing bad things, God will not pay attention to. In fact, He detests those prayers.

(Proverbs 15:29) 29 Jehovah is far away from the wicked ones, but the prayer of the righteous ones he hears.

(John 9:31) We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is God-fearing and does his will, he listens to this one.
(Micah 3:4) 4 At that time they will call to Jehovah for aid, but he will not answer them. And he will conceal his face from them in that time, according as they committed badness in their dealings.

One last item for a prayer to be effective is to pray with faith.

(Hebrews 11:6) 6 Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please [him] well, for he that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.

Sadly Chuck faith is not a quality that all people have for in 2 Thessalonians 3:1, 2 it says, “and that we may be delivered from harmful and wicked men, for faith is not a possession of all people.”

In the Insight to the Scriptures Volume 2 page 670 under Prayer it says that, “Acceptable prayer must be made to the right person, Jehovah God; on right matters, those in harmony with God’s declared purposes; in the right manner, through God’s appointed way, Christ Jesus; and with a right motive and a clean heart. (Compare James 4:3-6.) Along with all of this, there is need for persistence. Jesus said to ‘keep on asking, seeking, and knocking,’ not giving up. (Luke 11:5-10; 18:1-7) He raised the question as to whether, at his future ‘arrival,’ he would find faith in the power of prayer on earth. (Luke 18:8) The seeming delay on God’s part in answering some prayers is not due to any inability nor to a lack of willingness, as the Scriptures make clear. (Matthew 7:9-11; James 1:5, 17) In some cases the answer must await God’s ‘timetable.’ (Luke 18:7; 1Peter 5:6; 2Peter 3:9; Revelation 6:9-11) Primarily, however, it is evident that God allows his petitioners to demonstrate the depth of their concern, the intensity of their desire, the genuineness of their motive. (Psalm 55:17; 88:1, 13; Romans 1:9-11) At times they must be like Jacob in his wrestling a long time in order to obtain a blessing.—Genesis 32:24-26.

Should you need any more information Chuck please go to the www.JW.org for more information.

Jehovah`s Witness

Dr. DDD,M.S.,Psy.D, Court Officer