Jehovah`s Witness/1000 Years

Do you and your associates believe that God is resting for 1000 years? If He is still resting then how can He send messages to His People? How can He heal and raise the dead?  How can He govern His People? If it is a Sabbath Rest Then NO WORK should be done!

Hello again Timothy!
I believe in allowing the Bible, God’s written Word, to answer questions such as this, and it does seem to be a reasonable one.
First, if you go all the way back to the very beginning, then you will note each of the first 6 creative days ended with the words “And there was evening and there was morning, a [first through sixth] day.” – Genesis 1:1—31 . However, the same is not said of the seventh day, the day which God has been resting.

The Bible goes on to state that God’s rest continued for far more than a 1,000 years. (What we believe about that is that at the end of the 1,000 year reign of Christ, all things will be as Jehovah purposed from the beginning, and then he can say “And there was evening and there was morning, a seventh day.” I am referring to the 1,000 years as spoken of in Revelation 20:1—9 .

But you may be wondering “How do you know God has been resting all this time?” Please read Hebrews 3:11—4:11 .

I am not going to quote the entire passage, but notice these points extracted from it:

“For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: ‘So I swore in my anger, “They shall not enter into my rest,”’ although his works were finished from the founding of the world . For in one place he has said of the seventh day as follows: ‘And God rested on the seventh day from all his works ,’ and again in this place: ‘They shall not enter into my rest.’” — Hebrews 4:3-5 .

Now note verse 10 : “For the man that has entered into God’s rest has also himself rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.”

So, what did God “rest” from? From that which he had been doing: Creation! And he continues down to this day resting; he is not creating new things at this time. (We have no way at this time of knowing what he will do in this regard in the future.)

We also know for the very reason you point out that he has not rested from doing anything at all, because he has continued working, just not at creating. And no, to do a good deed on the Sabbath does not violate the Sabbath. Again, note the following account:

“Jesus said to him: ‘Get up, pick up your cot and walk.’ With that the man immediately became sound in health, and he picked up his cot and began to walk.

Now on that day it was a Sabbath . Therefore the Jews began to say to the cured man: ‘It is Sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to carry the cot.’ But he answered them: ‘The very one that made me sound in health said to me, “Pick up your cot and walk.”’ They asked him: ‘Who is the man that told you, “Pick it up and walk”?’ But the healed man did not know who he was, for Jesus had turned aside, there being a crowd in the place.

After these things Jesus found him in the temple and said to him: ‘See, you have become sound in health. Do not sin anymore, in order that something worse does not happen to you.’ The man went away and told the Jews it was Jesus that made him sound in health. So on this account the Jews went persecuting Jesus, because he was doing these things during Sabbath. But he answered them: ‘My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working .’” — John 5:8-17 .

So we see Jehovah resting from his creative works while he and his Son continue to work good toward humans.  

Jehovah`s Witness

I will try to answer any question that can be answered from the Bible. I cannot answer questions about personal experiences someone may have had,as I was not there. Sometimes these are true; sometimes they are not. It is not my place to speak of that of which I have no knowledge.

I have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses since mid-1979. I actually studied for several years before that, and was rather critical. However, while that is not the wisest course, it did give me insight into the thinking of opposers of true worship.

The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Newspapers published by Gulf Coast Media.

In addition to basic education, and some work-related college level courses, I have been on the Theocratic Ministry School since 1978. I have also attended a number of sessions of the Kingdom Ministry School.

My greatest honor is to be a servant of the Most High God, Jehovah, and a preacher of the Good News of his Kingdom under Christ Jesus.