Jehovah`s Witness/Anointed Person Knowledge

I live in Henrico, VA.  I am studying under the Jehovah Witness but I have a question that has been bordering me for some time now,

How do you know that you are anointed or chosen as one of the 144,00 member for Jesus Christ?  Each of the disciples had something special about them that no other human had.  They were given special powers or gifts to do  things on Jesus' behalf in preaching the good news.

Everyone is claiming to be preaching on God's behalf.  How do you know that God has chosen you!  What makes you different from the other witnesses that preach also or who are just as dedicated as you are?  Tell me why is your organization made up of people who chooses themselves as elders of the organization.  Or am I wrong on this?

Also, is this appointment something that every witnesss in the organization agrees on or do they not have a say to who leads
them?  Because you are worldwide and growing when do you and everyone meet so the people are familiar with you, just as Jesus met regularly with his members and with the people that followed them?

Do you ever meet with anyone or do you just stay at the headquarters?  And if you don't, why not?  Jesus went out among them so that they would know him.  Or am I wrong in this also?

I have many questions, I am curious about this religion and the people who say that represent God.  Arline

Good evening, Arline.  I hope you are doing well, and this response finds you in good health.

Given the way your question is written, I think you are under the impression that I am a practicing JW.  I want you to know that I am not.  I am still happy to answer your question, but if you want an answer from a practicing JW on this topic, might I suggest Mr. Brenton Hepburn, as a good option?  I suggest him, because although I suspect he does not view himself as of the 144,000, he will still give you a competent answer.  Some of the others here who DO view themselves as of "the anointed", will not give you much by way of a good answer.  In fact, there is one JW here who actually believes he has a heavenly hope, APART from being sealed as one of the "anointed", which is completely contrary to JW doctrine.

So, please be careful who you ask questions of here, and read the profiles very carefully.  I am being up front with you, that I am a born again Christian who was raised as a child in the JW religion, but was never baptized, nor am a JW now.  

So, I will attempt to briefly answer your question....

You ask...."How do you know that you are anointed or chosen as one of the 144,00 member for Jesus Christ?  Each of the disciples had something special about them that no other human had.  They were given special powers or gifts to do  things on Jesus' behalf in preaching the good news."

Simply put, the JW teaching that Christians will be divided up into a heavenly hope for only 144,000, and an earthly hope for everyone else, is completely UNSCRIPTURAL and without warrant.  There is absolutely no Scripture which actually teaches this.  Instead, they arrive at it, by thinking that just because the Bible teaches the earth will be inhabited forever (and it does), that this is somehow contradictory with the idea of all Christians going to be with Christ, at death.  In fact, there is no contradiction at all.  Paul spoke clearly that the hope of Christians, is to "be with Christ, which is far better" , and that "to be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord" .  And yes, all Christians share this same hope.

The problem comes in, with a faulty understanding of the New Heaven, and the New Earth, which the Bible speaks of in Isaiah 65, Isaiah 66, 2 Peter 3, and Revelation 21.

As for "how do they know"?  They don't.  Most JWs whom I have asked this same question of, tell you something about "having a witness of the spirit".  Basically, nothing Scriptural that they can point to, that shows they are worth of partaking of the emblems at Memorial, or that they have somehow been "chosen".  

In fact, if we read who the BIBLE identifies the 144,000 as being, we see that they are ALL Jews, all male, and unmarried.  I have seen JWs of various races, and both genders, thinking they are of the 144,000.  It is completely against what the Scriptural actually says.

You said...."Everyone is claiming to be preaching on God's behalf.  How do you know that God has chosen you!  What makes you different from the other witnesses that preach also or who are just as dedicated as you are?  Tell me why is your organization made up of people who chooses themselves as elders of the organization. Or am I wrong on this?"

Well again, I am not a JW myself, so this is a question you might want to direct to one of the practicing JWs here.  As for your question regarding the congregation's elders and how they are chosen, I recommend the expert named Robert Jones.  Although Mr. Jones is no longer a JW, he was for many years, and is quite familiar with congregational procedures such as this.

But as for why I personally know that I am chosen to preach the Gospel....Well, every Christian is called to preach the Gospel.  Not all Christians are called to hold an office of preacher, but all are called to proclaim Jesus Christ to the lost.  So, we have that on good Scriptural authority.  ALL born again Christians are to minister to those who need to hear about Christ.

And the number who are born again, is NOWHERE in Scripture, limited to 144,000.  Rather, Jesus said this....

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

"Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again."

And also, being born of God/born again, is clearly stated to be for ANYONE who "receives" Jesus Christ, and "believes" on His name.  It is not limited to a certain number, but is for all who believe and receive Him.

John 1:12-13-  "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

Those are the words of Scripture.  We become a child of God by belief in, and receiving of, Jesus Christ as our Savior.  At that time, we are commissioned to preach His Gospel to others who have not yet come to Him.

The way to know if a preacher is really "preaching on God's behalf" , is to KNOW the Scriptures, and compare what they say, with the Scriptures.  Satan has a way of making a teaching sound good and correct, when it is actually unscriptural and deadly.  Sometimes he even mixes in the error with a lot of truth, so that it will go unnoticed.  And sadly, there are MANY false cults, as well as false so-called "Christian" churches, claiming to be preaching on God's behalf, but are bringing an unscriptural message.

For a person to know the difference this day and time, they will need to be thoroughly grounded in the Scriptures.  Here is a Scripture I brought out to my Sunday School class, just this past week, on this very topic.....

Heb 5:14-  "But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

We start out on the "milk" of the Word, but the time comes in our lives, where we must grown and be able to take in the "meat".  Just like a baby....Its fine for that baby to start out on milk, because it cannot handle a steak or a cheeseburger.  But the time will come, that the parents will expect their baby to grow and take in solid food.  If the baby does not progress in this manner, the parents will become very concerned, as they should be.  

I am simply saying this.....It is not for me to tell you what to do, or who to study with.  But above ALL things....Get grounded in the Scriptures, and test EVERYTHING against them.

I hope this answer has helped you somewhat.  I realize that I really didn't answer your questions about the congregational practices, but that is because that really isn't my area of knowledge, and again, I recommend Robert Jones to you for those answers.  

Thanks for writing, and take care.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.