Jehovah`s Witness/John 14:14

Hi Derrick,

I am doing a study on John 14:14, and I would like your input in this matter.  I use the NASB which states, "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it."  Notice the key word "Me".  This very clearly shows acceptance of prayer to Jesus.  Most every translation has this word "Me", except for a few translations, namely the KJV (and related versions) and the NWT.

Now, here is what I find interesting.  Whether or not the word "Me" is included completely depends on whether the translation was made from the Textus Receptus or the Westcott and Hort.  The Greek word for "Me" is not included in the Textus Receptus, but it is included in the Westcott and Hort.  Since the KJV (and related versions) came from the Textus Receptus, one would expect "Me" not to be there.  However, the NWT was based on the Westcott and Hort which means it should be there.

Since you are a KJV fan, how do you feel about that particular verse?  And how do you feel about the NWT not staying true to it's base version?

Hello Richard, and thanks for writing.

To be honest, this is not a passage that I have ever researched in my verse-by-verse comparisons.  I have looked at literally hundreds of differences between the Westcott/Hort text, and the Textus Receptus.  But this verse has honestly never come up in that research.

It appears that the difference involves the word "ego" (Me, I), being used 3 times in the WH text, and once in the TR text.  I agree with you, that whether or not "Me" is included, depends on which text you use.  I have always felt the TR was superior, and the definitely less-tampered-with text.  Again, I have not actually looked at this particular passage in my comparisons, however.

As for how I feel about this particular verse, I don't believe the meaning is changed, whether "Me" appears or not, because it is certainly acceptable to ask Jesus for things, and offer prayer to Him.  Even the King James bears this out in certain passages...

1 Cor. 1:2-  "Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:"

Notice that "call upon" is in the present tense, indicating that the prayers are ongoing, and not just some point in time where they "called upon" Him for salvation, which certainly would have been done.  But the present tense, indicates a continued and ongoing practice.

2 Corinthians 12:8-9-  "For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Acts 7:59-  "And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Acts 9:6-  "And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do."

Ananias oonversed with Jesus, in Acts 9:13-15...."Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:

And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.

But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:"

And the very last prayer/petition offered in the Scriptures....

Rev. 22:20-  "He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus."

It is true that I have some issues with some renderings in Bibles from the Westcott/Hort text, however, this verse is not one of them.  I believe that the implication of John 14:14, in light of the comparative Scriptures above, is that petitioning Jesus IS acceptable, and Scriptural.

While I cannot give you the reason for the difference in the 2 texts on this particular passage, I can tell you that it is certainly Scriptural to pray to the Father, and to the Son, as we have seen several examples of such.

Now, you asked...."And how do you feel about the NWT not staying true to it's base version?"

I think its somewhat hypocritical, but expected.  Especially when done to prop up a teaching that they currently have.  Its one thing if an English translation doesn't read exactly identical to the Greek text for grammatical reasons, but not for doctrinal ones.

I have always said that the NWT used an inferior text (I realize some Christians disagree with that point), and then were not even faithful to the text they chose as their basis.  If its the chosen basis for their translation, then they should adhere to it, instead of changing it when it suits their doctrinal convenience.  I do believe, that other versions taken from the Westcott/Hort text, are better translations than the NWT.  I do want that to be clear, and I do not fall out with Christians who use another version.  I believe the NWT is one of the worst that comes from the WH text, and most scholars agree, notwithstanding the misused quote from Colwell that we see so often here.

I am not sure if this answers the question, but I hope so.  I believe John 14:14 does indicate prayer to Jesus, and is consistent with other passages that do the same.  I also believe the NWT is not faithful to the text that they use as the basis for their "translation".

Take care, and God bless.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.