Jehovah`s Witness/Meaning of the word God.

Question
Hello sister t.
Can you explain to me what the word God means in the bible.? I have read that  you  and other  jws  ex plain that the word God is just a title. What does this so called title mean?
Before you give me the "many people are called gods" speech, these aren't used as nouns, but rather as adjectives.
When you call someone the god of something or even godlike, you're not saying they are God.

On another note why does the new world translation have an alternate definition for the word appeal in acts where Stephen was being stoned and had the vision of Jesus. ....one of the other definitions given for this was 'prayed' I asked my jws associate and he fumbled around for some type of explanation. Check it out for yourself. There is a footnote he used. There is often other words that can be used in the Greek translations. I'm just curious why the translating committee would put the word' prayed ' as  another way of saying appeal. Now let me be clear that I asked him before he looked up the footnote , w ho Stephen was addressing. He said without a doubt it was Jesus. So I took away one avenue of his reasoning. wouldn't you agree Stephen's actions constituted prayer. If not how would you describe the meaning of the word prayer. It's my understanding that prayer belongs to only God.
Thank you. Kevin.

I believe Stephen's actions would qualify as prayer would they not?

Answer
Hello Kevin,

God means mighty one or strong one and is not a personal name but title, just like Lord is a title, just like Father is a title, son is a title, mother is a title, daughter is a title, teacher is a title, doctor is a title, none of those are personal names.

Anything that is worshiped can be termed a god, inasmuch as the worshiper attributes to it might greater than his own and venerates it. A person can even let his belly be a god. (Rom 16:18; Phil 3:18,19) The Bible makes mention of many gods (Ps 86:8; 1 Cor 8:5,6), but it shows that the gods of the nations are valueless gods. Ps 96:5.

The Bible says there are many gods and many lords, so it's not a speech by us.  It's what the Bible actually says, now if you are not interested in what the Bible actually says but want to believe doctrines of men, that is your choice sir.  

If there are many gods or "Mighty Ones or Strong Ones" it comes from the Bible, not us, we just go by what the Bible says.  

Satan is called the god of this world at 2 Cor 4:4. (KJV)

Even false gods have personal names, Zeus, Horus, Dagon, etc..and they aren't even alive, and I'm sure many people have no problem saying their personal names, which each one has been given.  Yet, when it comes to Jehovah, the living Almighty God who created all things, people refuse to acknowledge that He has a personal name.  

All that is, is the work of a deceiver, the work of the Devil who is blinding the minds of unbelievers.  Satan's religions teach that God's name is a title, unimportant and/or should not be used.

The Bible makes it clear, and Jesus said himself that Jehovah his father is the ONLY TRUE GOD and our worship is to be to him ALONE, therefore our prayers would only go to Jehovah.

Matt 4:10 (NWT) "Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

Matt 4:10 (KJV) "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."

Disregarding scriptures doesn't make them go away.

No Stephen's actions did not constitute a prayer.  Jesus prayed to his Father.  Jesus' Father Jehovah never prayed to Jesus or anyone.  Jesus never told anyone to pray to him, he said pray to his Father this way: Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified (Matt 6:9) The very first thing Jesus mentioned we should pray to his father about is for his father's NAME to be sanctified, hallowed or made holy.  

What name?  The Bible says God's name is Jehovah, so that name!

Ps. 83:18 (KJV) "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth."

Stop denying God's name Jehovah, stop denying the Bible!

Since Stephen saw Jesus in a vision standing at God's right hand, he made an appeal to Jesus because he was seeing him standing there so he addressed him as he knew that Jesus was the means that God will use to resurrect ones.   

Literally it means 'a calling out' Someone calling out does not constitute a prayer no matter how bad people would like that to be so.  But "a calling out' does constitute an appeal.  

Prayer should only be to Jehovah the Almighty God, as Jesus showed.  NO ONE ELSE...therefore, that's even more reason why Stephen would not have been praying when he spoke to Jesus, because he knew Bible truths.

Tainting the Bible by inserting the word God in that scripture at Acts 7:59 in the KJV  when it is not even supposed to be there at all is Satan's will, and is not of God.  

Desperation to prove a lie is what Satan is all about and his followers refuse to believe the Bible's plain truths, they're blinded.

"and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away" Matt 24:39

Brace yourself, not much time left.

Sister T

JW.org

P.S.  I am resending this because I did not address your question regarding the footnote of the word appeal, where it says invocation; prayer.  That's easy to answer, because in the English language the same word can be used in different situations.  A person can appeal to God in prayer, in that case the appeal is a prayer directed to God, but also a person can appeal or call out for help regarding a situation.  An appeal can be a prayer and an appeal can be a calling out, which is not a prayer.   Since Stephen worshipped the same God as Jesus did, he would not pray to Jesus, because Jesus had already taught his followers how to pray which was to Jesus' Father, Jehovah, and not himself (Matt 6:9).  Just like when Paul made appeal to Ceasar, Paul was not praying to Ceasar, and here the word appeal is used also.  So it depends on the context of what is going on.  

See the Greek words for Acts 7:59:  http://biblehub.com/text/acts/7-59.htm  it doesn't say he prayed but literally "he was calling out" that word is Strong's 1941(e).

Now let's compare that to this scripture here:

Acts 25:11-12 (NWT)"If I am really a wrongdoer and have committed anything deserving of death, I do not beg off from dying; but if there is no substance to the accusations these men have made against me, no man has the right to hand me over to them as a favor. I appeal to Caesar!” 12 Then Festus, after speaking with the assembly of counselors, replied: “To Caesar you have appealed; to Caesar you will go.”

See the Greek words for Acts 25:11:  http://biblehub.com/text/acts/25-11.htm  here the word appeal is used, see the same number, Strong's 1941(e)

Looking at a few scriptures that talks about prayer to God, Strong uses 4336(e) and 4335(e) not 1941(e).

Matt 26:41, http://biblehub.com/text/matthew/26-41.htm

Mark 1:35, http://biblehub.com/text/mark/1-35.htm

1 Thes. 5:17, http://biblehub.com/text/1_thessalonians/5-17.htm

Matt. 14:23, http://biblehub.com/text/matthew/14-23.htm

Luke 22:44, http://biblehub.com/text/luke/22-44.htm

Luke 6:12, http://biblehub.com/text/luke/6-12.htm  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T