Jehovah`s Witness/Is it important to know God?

Question
Hello Sister T and thanks for taking my question.

To know God, I have no doubt you will love him. And I'm also assumming the Bible will give us the necessary guidelines. My question is; how does the Bible help us draw closer to God? Is there a certain proceedure one must follow or what?
Thanks again and I am looking forward to your answer.

Take Care,
Phil

Answer
Hi Phil and thanks for writing,

The Bible is the source from which we can know God, we have to look at the Bible as a precious letter from Him to us.  One that he had penned not by angels, but by imperfect people so that we can relate and understand all that is said.  The Bible was written for our instruction.  (Romans 15:4 "For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction, so that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope")   

If God were a mystery that can't be understood logically then how can we get real comfort from the scriptures and have real hope?    One cannot have true hope and true comfort if one cannot fully understand where and how that comfort and hope is attained.   If you do not understand then like many people today the Bible is put on the shelf and left to collect dust, or very few scriptures are used.  

What would be the point in God giving us a Book about Him if he was a mystery that we can never understand logically?  (compare 2 Tim. 3:16,17 "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.")  How can one set things straight if there isn't a clear foundation to do so?  Does that make sense?  Not at all.  But many people are just fine settling for God being a hard-hearted mystery made up of equations that are illogical, confusing, contradictory, and unreasonable.  It would be a cruel unloving disservice for God to give us something he knows goes against the very way he created us with the ability to reason with logic, especially since we are imperfect and our thinking is limited and at times selfish, etc.  don't you agree?   

Just think about this?  Proverbs 3:5 tells us "Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding."  

Jer. 10:23 let's us know,  "I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."   

We were created to be dependent upon Jehovah God, this is how we were created.  Would it not be cruel and unreasonable for God to then turn around and not give understanding of His letter to us?  Who does that?  Not Jehovah, that's for sure, (Proverbs 2:6 "For Jehovah himself gives wisdom; From his mouth come knowledge and discernment.")   Yes, we have made updates to our understanding of Bible prophecies, but basic Bible teachings have not changed.  

But Satan, God's adversary, tries to set people up for failure.  Just like he did with Eve.  Satan knew that people were created to be dependent on God.  But he cleverly implied that God was not a good ruler and he held good things back from them and that she should be able to decide for herself what was right and what was wrong, rather then letting God be the one to tell them right and wrong.   Thus the initial setting up people for failure.   We can see over history that man has failed miserably in their attempts at living independent of God!!  Just look at the News and you can see for yourself.

But fortunately the true God Jehovah is not a mysterious illogical equation that makes no sense.   No, for those who WANT to know God, He makes himself be known through the pages of the most important book in this world, the Bible!!

For one, God let us know his personal name, (Ps 83:18 "May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth")  if you become close to someone, isn't it logical that you know and use their name?  Well the Bible has God's personal name some 7,000 times!  We can address God in prayer using his personal name, the Bible tells us to pray constantly (1 Thes. 5:17)....these are ways to draw close to God.  We also can draw close to God from the Bible accounts of his dealings with other people, ones who obeyed him and ones who did not.  We can learn about God's personality through the pages of the Bible and his many wonderful qualities.  And we draw closer to Him by meditating on those wonderful qualities that God has.    If someone had outstanding qualities but you never gave those qualities a second thought, how could you draw close to that person to really appreciate those qualities?  The Bible helps know Jehovah's qualities and if we meditate, or think on them, it helps us draw closer to Him.  Just as David did (Ps 143:5 "I remember the days of old; I meditate on all your activity; I eagerly ponder over the work of your hands.")

The Bible let's us know that God loves us very much, so much that he sent his son to die so that we may live.  (John 3:16; 1 John 4:19))  Creation itself speaks volumes on the love that God has for us, the beauty of this earth, the playful animals, the breathtaking colors and scenery, things that are not needed to sustain life.  This shows that God wants us to enjoy life in paradise conditions.  When we read the account in Genesis about how God created the things in the earth, he didn't do it in 6, literal 24 hour days, no, Jehovah took time and when he created Adam he had already PLANTED the Garden of Eden....Adam didn't plant it, Jehovah did and then he placed Adam there to cultivate it and take care of it.  (Gen 2:8, 15 "Jehovah God planted a garden in E′den, toward the east; and there he put the man whom he had formed"  15  "Jehovah God took the man and settled him in the garden of E′den to cultivate it and to take care of it.")  Have you ever wondered why God made Adam and Eve last?  The love that went into that helps us to see that Jehovah wanted to have everything ready and prepared for Adam, something a loving Father would do.  

To illustrate, a soon to be father is expecting his son to be born, and what does he do?  He gets his son's room all ready for him, maybe it calls for painting and buying furniture and putting it all together, setting everything up so that once he's here, it's all ready!   That's what God let us know that he did through the pages of the Bible.    

The Bible sets out Jehovah’s view of right and wrong. It explains his purpose for mankind and for the earth. And it reveals his dealings with a broad range of people and nations, from loyal worshipers to bitter enemies. By having his interactions with humans recorded in this way, Jehovah has painted an exceptionally detailed portrait of his personality. He reveals his love, joy, sorrow, disappointment, anger, mercy, concern...yes, the range of his thoughts and feelings, and the underlying reasons for these...all in a way humans can readily understand.

Psalm 78:3-7 "The things we have heard and know, Which our fathers have related to us, 4 We will not hide from their sons; We will relate to the generation to come The praiseworthy deeds of Jehovah and his strength, The wonderful things he has done. 5 He established a reminder in Jacob And set a law in Israel; He commanded our forefathers To make these things known to their children, 6 So that the next generation, The children yet to be born, might know them. They in turn would relate them to their children. 7 Then these would put their confidence in God.  They would not forget God’s works But would observe his commandments."

We need to communicate with our heavenly father to draw close to Him.  He's real and He cares, and most important He wants us to.  Once we've read a portion of the Bible,  how can we benefit and how can we draw close to Him?  While we're thinking on all the things from the Bible we need to let each point reach our hearts as well. Then in prayer tell Jehovah your thoughts and innermost feelings about the material you have considered and how you will try to benefit from it. That is communication. Of course, if you have other things on your mind as well, these can certainly be included in your prayer.

When you are trying to draw close to someone you do things together, how can we do things with God?  The Bible helps us to see there are ones in the Bible who walked with or before God (Genesis 6:9; 1 Kings 8:25).  How can you do this or what does that mean?  It means they lived each day as though God were right there with them. True, they were sinful. Yet, they loved God’s laws and principles, and they lived in harmony with God’s purpose. Jehovah is drawn to such ones, and he cares for them, as shown at Psalm 32:8  “I will give you insight and instruct you in the way you should go. I will give you advice with my eye upon you."

These are some ways that the Bible helps us draw close to Jehovah, and the Bible says of Jehovah at Isaiah 48:17 "...The One teaching you to benefit yourself, The One guiding you in the way you should walk."

John 4:8 "Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you indecisive ones."

2 Timothy 2:19 ".....the solid foundation of God remains standing, having this seal, “Jehovah knows those who belong to him,” and, “Let everyone calling on the name of Jehovah renounce unrighteousness.”

If we draw close to Jehovah by obeying him and keeping his commandments he will grant us the honor of understanding, he will draw us.   (John 6:44)

God's people are granted to know the "sacred secrets" as they are revealed by God by his holy spirit!  Thus God is not a mystery to those ones, he is only an unquestionable mystery to the ones who are not granted understanding, try as they may to explain their beliefs it just doesn't make sense or add up and it contradicts other Bible scriptures, only deceiving themselves.   We can draw close to him because we truly understand and love him.  If one cannot back up their claims from the Bible with Scriptures that are in harmony then what good is a mere man's words against God's?   It's just hot air.....never believe the lies about Jehovah especially from ones who can't disprove our beliefs from the Bible, let alone prove their own beliefs from it.   Man made doctrines are mere words, the Bible gives us God's view on matters and that's why use of the Bible is vital, because it separates our thoughts from the most important thoughts, those of God's.  We need to go by what God says from the Bible.

Read 1 Corinthians 2:6-16; Mark 4:11,12; Matt 13:11-13; Luke 8:10; Eph. 6:19

Hope that helps

Sister T

JW.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T