Jehovah`s Witness/Keep Seeking First God's Kingdom

Question
Hello Mr. Abdijah,
 Thank you for taking my question. You seem to be "right on" with the questions that are put before you so I'm asking another one of you.
 Last week, two of your people camne by my business an invited mewith an invitation to a convention of Jehovah's Witnesses entitle; "Keep Seeking First God's Kingdom." I noticed that this event is going to last three days. I am very busy at this time of year but could manage to take at least two days off to attend. In your opinion, what days should I take off and why is it so important to attend. How much will it cost? And do I have to join anything? What will I learn that is not in the Bible? How should I dress/what should I wear? Will I have to raise my hand and will they ask me a lot of questions. The reason I ask this, is because I am very shy and timid when I am in a large crowd. I think I would like to attend and especially if I can learn more about our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Thanks to you my friend.

Answer
Hello there again Phil.

First let me thank you for asking me, and I hope my answer is helpful. I have broken your questions up so that I can respond to them individually.

Question: I noticed that this event is going to last three days. I am very busy at this time of year but could manage to take at least two days off to attend. In your opinion, what days should I take off and why is it so important to attend.

Answer: At the bottom I have copied the entire 3 day program for your perusal. I cannot advise you as to the information that is the most beneficial for you, because each person has different needs. However, in looking over the program, I can see that Friday is mainly directed at those who are already Jehovah’s Witnesses, whereas Saturday & Sunday are formatted for both the general public AND Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Question: How much will it cost?

Answer: The entire event is free, and no collection plates or anything is passed around. Voluntary contributions help to cover the necessary expenses required for such an event as this, and these also support the worldwide work. Clearly marked contribution boxes are located throughout the facility. All contributions are very much appreciated. No one knows who gives, or how much they donate, if anything.

Question: And do I have to join anything?

Answer: No; this is a strictly informative and encouraging event, designed to help us grow in appreciation of our Creator and his Son for what they have done and yet will do for us, and specifically through the Kingdom for which we pray when we say “Thy Kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Matthew 6:10

Question: What will I learn that is not in the Bible?

Answer: You will note on the program below that the talks all have a Bible theme, in addition to the daily theme. So all the information is Bible based. As you listen to the talks you find helpful information as to how we can APPLY the information in the Bible.

Question: How should I dress/what should I wear?

Answer: I assume from your name that you are a male. We really have no strict rules as to how to dress, but we do go by Biblical guidelines, which basically admonish us to dress modestly. (1 Timothy 2:9 — written to women but the principle applies to men as well.) Men generally wear a regular suit, but if you do not have one as I said just dress modestly; I have seen men wearing regular shirt and pants. The important thing is to be there. Women usually either wear a dress, or skirt/blouse combo. Some wear a pants suit, and that is OK too.

Question: Will I have to raise my hand and will they ask me a lot of questions.

Answer: No. Individual ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses will undoubtedly speak to you, engaging you in friendly conversation between the sessions. Even in our smaller meetings at our local Kingdom Halls, we never put visitors on the spot like that. You should feel quite comfortable and welcome.

Your comment: The reason I ask this, is because I am very shy and timid when I am in a large crowd. I think I would like to attend and especially if I can learn more about our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Thanks to you my friend.

My reply: No need to  be shy around us; we love people and are always happy to help when we can. Speaking of which, if there is anything in the talks you do not understand or want to know more about, just ask someone sitting near you.

You will need to bring a light lunch and drink (no glass bottles) because food is not provided.
You might consider bringing a notebook, but it is not required.

You will need a Bible, whatever translation you prefer. We generally use the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

We also have our own songbooks, and if you want one of these or a copy of the New World Translation, you can get them at no charge for your local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

You can also download them from http://www.jw.org.

Bible: http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/books/
(Just go here where you can read it; the download options are on the right side of the screen.

Songbook: http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/?start=36 It is called “Sing to Jehovah,” it is on this page.

If you have a tablet, you can get the jwlibrary app for no charge from whatever app store you use, and it will include among other thing “Publications” as well as 6 translations of the Bible; it defaults to the NWT mentioned above.

You may also enjoy our videos at http://tv.jw.org

I hope I did not overload you with information. If I did, I apologize.

Here is the Program for all 3 days:

FRIDAY

Theme: “To You It Is Granted to Understand the Sacred Secrets of the Kingdom” — Matthew 13:11

Morning
9:20 Music
9:30 Song No. 40 and Prayer

9:40 Chairman’s Address:
Meet Some Who Are Seeking First God’s Kingdom! (Revelation 12:1, 2, 5)
10:20 Symposium: Appreciating the Thrones of Divine Rulership
Jehovah’s Throne (Psalm 103:19)
Jesus’ Throne (Matthew 25:31)
The Thrones of the 144,000 (Matthew 19:28; Revelation 20:4)

11:10 Song No.108 and Announcements

11:20 A Century of Kingdom Rule Contrasted With a Century of Satan’s Rule (Psalm 40:5; Isaiah 5:20, 21)
11:45 Keynote Address: Highly Esteem Present Kingdom Blessings! (Isaiah 48:17, 18; 2 Corinthians 12:2-4; Titus 1:2)
12:15 Song No. 75 and Intermission

Afternoon

1:25 Music
1:35 Song No. 27
1:40 How Babylon the Great Has “Shut Up the Kingdom” (Matthew 23:2, 4-10, 13, 23, 24, 34)
2:00 Symposium: What Must Be Kept in Second Place? (Matthew 6:33)
Recreation (Mark 6:31; John 4:34)
Eating and Drinking (Ecclesiastes 3:12, 13; Romans 14:17)
Concerns About Health (Psalm 115:17; Luke 12:25; 1 Timothy 5:23)
Courtship and Weddings (1 Corinthians 10:31-33)
Family Ties (Matthew 10:37; Romans 12:17, 18)
Material Pursuits (1 Corinthians 9:24)

3:00 Song No. 70 and Announcements

3:10 Drama: “Do Not Give the Devil an Opportunity” (Ephesians 4:27; 1 John 4:11)
4:00 “Sacred Secrets of the Kingdom” Progressively Revealed (Matthew 13:10, 11)
4:20 Teach Your Children to Love God’s Kingdom! (Psalm 78:3, 4)
4:55 Song No. 88 and Closing Prayer

SATURDAY

Theme: “Counted Worthy of the Kingdom of God” — 2 Thessalonians 1:5

Morning
9:20 Music
9:30 Song No.120 and Prayer
9:40 Symposium: Who Will Not Inherit God’s Kingdom? (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
“Sexually Immoral” People
“Idolaters”
“Greedy People”
“Revilers”
10:20 Symposium: Who Will Inherit God’s Kingdom?
Those “Who Are Poor” (Luke 6:20; Matthew 5:3)
Those Who “Become as Young Children” (Matthew 18:2-4)
Those “Persecuted for Righteousness’ Sake” (Matthew 5:10)
Those Who Help Christ’s Brothers (Matthew 25:34)

11:00 Song No. 92 and Announcements

11:10 Symposium: The Kingdom“ Good News Has to Be Preached First”!
From House to House (Mark 13:10)
Informally (Psalm45:1)
Publicly (Proverbs 1:20, 21)
11:45 Baptism: Jehovah “Will Help You” Inherit the Kingdom (Isaiah41:10)
12:15 Song No. 60 and Intermission

Afternoon

1:35 Music
1:45 Song No. 95
1:50 Symposium: Pursue Goals That Can Help You Seek First the Kingdom
Move Where the Need Is Greater (Acts 16:9, 10)
Learn a New Language (1 Corinthians 9:22, 23)
Reach Out to Be a Ministerial Servant (1Timothy 3:12, 13)
Reach Out to Be an Elder (1Timothy 3:1, 2; Titus 1:9; 2:1)
Enroll as a Pioneer (Psalm 34:8; Mark 12:30)
Attend the School for Kingdom Evangelizers (Isaiah 6:8; 54:13)

2:50 Song No. 85 and Announcements

3:00 Enter the Kingdom Maimed, Lame, or One-Eyed (Mark 9:43-47)
3:20 As Kingdom Subjects, Remain “No Part of This World”! (John 18:36)
3:45 Sound Drama: “Jehovah Is the Only True God” (1 Kings 16:29-33; 17:1-7; 18:17-46; 19:1-8)
4:15 Jehovah’s Organization—100 Years of Seeking First God’s Established Kingdom (Psalm48:12,13; Luke 10:1, 5-11)
4:55 Song No.103 and Closing Prayer

SUNDAY

Theme: “Come . . . Inherit the Kingdom” — Matthew 25:34

Morning

9:20 Music
9:30 Song No. 30 and Prayer
9:40 Symposium: Anticipate Future Kingdom Blessings!
A World Without Satan (Revelation20:2, 3, 7, 10)
One Language (Zephaniah 3:9; Zechariah 14:9)
Perfect Health (Job 33:25; Isaiah 33:24)
Complete Harmony With the Animals (Isaiah11:6-9)
Paradise Earth (Luke 23:43)
New Scrolls (Revelation20:12)
Association With Multitudes of Resurrected Ones (Job 14:14,15)
Ability to Praise Jehovah Perfectly (Revelation 5:13)

11:10 Song No.134 and Announcements

11:20 Public Bible Discourse: Earth’s New Ruler—Who Really Qualifies? (Isaiah 42:1-4)
11:50 Summary of The Watchtower
12:20 Song No. 99 and Intermission

Afternoon

1:35 Music
1:45 Song No.16
1:50 Stay on ‘the Highway of Holiness’ Into God’s Kingdom! (Isaiah35:5-9)
2:10 Drama: ‘Not One Word Has Failed’ (Joshua 1:2, 11; 2:1-24; 7:1, 10-26; 9:1-27; 10:1-14; 23:14)

2:40 Song No.132 and Announcements

2:50 “Never Be Anxious”—Keep Seeking First God’s Kingdom (Matthew6:1-34; Proverbs 15:15; 1 Peter 5:8, 9)
3:50 Song No. 91 and Closing Prayer

Jehovah`s Witness

Abdijah