Jehovah`s Witness/Names

Hi, maybe you can give me a straight up answer to my question that I seem to keep getting a run around on. The expert Eddie G was not helpful at all nor provided a simple answer from scripture to my question. Question (2) is an add on.
My questions (2) is this:(1) ACCORDING to SCRIPTURE what is the faithful and discreet slave's name. I ask this because of the emphasis your publications place on knowing someone's name, knowing God's name and using it. (2)Also, your publications speak of Christ selecting your religion(in 1919)? as the one He will communicate with people. I can't find this in the Scriptures. Please indicate the scriptures that plainly state the faithful & discreet slaves name(so I know who by name Jesus is speaking to) and where it talks about Christ coming back to inspect all religions?

Hello Angelo,

Thank you for asking me those questions.

First, as far as names are concerned, yes  we put emphasis on God's name because he asks for emphasis to be put on his name.  Just in the book of Ezekiel alone, Jehovah says about 30 times that people will have to know his name.

Now what you ask are not easy questions to answer as the Bible does not give a direct answer to them .  I will do my best  to keep it simple.  Personally, I  will find that hard to do, because I like to have all the facts.  I then find it difficulty in choosing which are relevant facts to pass on in an abbreviated form.

It is also very difficult to give a simple answer because there is a lot of background information that needs to be considered to get the overall “context” of what the Bible is telling us.  There are many subjects that have a bearing on our “understanding” of the identity of that “salve”.  To get the overall picture will require a lot of information.  So I doubt if my explanations will satisfactory answer your question, as prior understanding of other information will help

The term we use “faithful and discreet slave” is taken form the following two different  accounts. One in  Matthew and  the other in Luke.

Matthew 24:45  “Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?”  (KJV)

In the days when Jesus walked the earth, a household would have a trusted slaved that would keep the household running especially while the master was away.  Jesus was to be “away” from his household, his followers – for some time.  This slave would look after the rest of the household, feeding them and providing shelter.

In the above account Jesus is discussing “the time of the end”.  These words by Jesus are spoken as a part of the sign when his disciples asked bout his presence ( Greek = parousia – literally a being along side or presence).  From verse 4 of Matthew 24 Jesus lists a great number of events that would show he was “present”.   Things like wars, famines, pestilence, the fulfilment of a prophecy by Daniel, great times of wow (tribulations) and other things.  

From verse 42,  He goes on to say  “Keep on the watch , therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.
43 “But know one thing: If the householder had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 On this account, you too prove yourselves ready , because the Son of man is coming at an hour that you do not think to be it.
45 “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Happy is that slave if his master on coming finds him doing so! 47 Truly I say to you, he will appoint him over all his belongings.”  (NWT)

So at this particular time that Jesus is discussing he advises his followers to keep on the watch, because the final end of the tribulation will come  suddenly.  He likens his followers as a household and that a wise salve would be alert to look after his household so that they are ready.

The second account where those words are used are at

Luke 12: 42  “And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?” (KJV)

The previous verses in Luke 12 Jesus is telling his disciples to keep ready for his return. And he uses illustrations to show that . In that  illustration, the readiness of the servants at their master’s return is shown by their pulling up their long robes and fastening these under their girdles and their continuing to care for their duties on into the night by the light of well-fueled lamps. Jesus explains: ‘If the master arrives in the second watch [from about nine in the evening to midnight], even if in the third [from midnight to about three in the morning], and finds them ready , happy are they!’

The master rewards his servants in an unusual way. He has them recline at the table and begins serving them. He treats them, not as slaves, but as loyal friends . What a fine reward for their continuing to work for their master throughout the night while waiting for his return! Jesus concludes: “You also, keep ready , because at an hour that you do not think likely the Son of man is coming.”

Peter now asks: “Lord, are you saying this illustration to us or also to all?”

Now Jesus does not give a direct answer, instead he  gives another illustration. “Who really is the faithful steward,” he asks, “whom his master will appoint over his body of attendants to keep giving them their measure of food supplies at the proper time? Happy is that slave, if his master on arriving finds him doing so! I tell you truthfully, He will appoint him over all his belongings.”

Notice that in both instances Jesus never names the faithful slave, he leaves it open for interpretation with the words  “Who then is...”   No names are given by Jesus as to who the salve is.  It is by carefully examining the Bible that we might discern  the meaning of who the slave represents.

In Luke we can come to the conclusion that the master is obviously Jesus..  It would seem that the Steward, or slave, represent  his followers.  Not just his followers but those that are to join him  as a collective body, as  those who receive the heavenly Kingdom.

We understand that the  “master” is Jesus Christ. The “steward” pictures a class or group of individuals that Jesus calls  the “little flock” of disciples  (see Luke 12:32 )  and the  expression  of being a steward highlights their work as individuals. The “belongings” that the faithful steward is appointed to care for are the master’s royal interests on earth, which include the Kingdom’s earthly subjects.

Continuing the illustration, Jesus points to the possibility that not all members of that steward, or slave, class will be loyal, explaining: “If ever that slave should say in his heart, ‘My master delays coming,’ and should start to beat the menservants and the maidservants, and to eat and drink and get drunk, the master of that slave will come on a day that he is not expecting him . . . , and he will punish him with the greatest severity.”

Now because Jesus never named a person nor did he specifiably name a group (although the context strongly suggests the group come from his anointed brothers), the idea of a “faithful and wise servant (steward) shows a person (or group) that are keeping spiritually on the watch for the signs of the masters return, and busy looking after the belongings (all faithful followers of Jesus).

Several commentaries I have from Baptist, Presbyterian and others agree that the household is Gods people, and the steward are the ones charged with oversight.  (if you would like me to copy those commentaries I will) So, as far as we are concerned, then, the faithful steward are the men that have the overall oversight of getting Gods work done.

Why do we feel that the modern organisation was chosen in 1919?  That has to do with our understanding of several Bible prophecies and I do not know how to put that information into a condensed, easy to follow form.

As a brief overview the account in Matthew 24 tells us that Jesus, during his presence would look for a faithful steward.  The parable of the weed and the weeds at Matthew 13: 24-30 is understood to show that the true Christian followers would become indecipherable from the time Jesus of Jesus going away until his coming in kingly power again.  It would not be until the last days that the weeds would stand out from true Christianity.  The account reads

"24 He presented another illustration to them, saying: “The Kingdom of the heavens may be likened to a man who sowed fine seed in his field. 25 While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat and left. 26 When the stalk sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds also appeared. 27 So the slaves of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it have weeds?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?’ 29 He said, ‘No, for fear that while collecting the weeds, you uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest season, I will tell the reapers: First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up; then gather the wheat into my storehouse.’” (NWT)

Jesus gave an explanation to that parable to his disciples when they were alone. Matthew 13:36-43

"36 Then after dismissing the crowds, he went into the house. His disciples came to him and said: “Explain to us the illustration of the weeds in the field.” 37 In response he said: “The sower of the fine seed is the Son of man; 38 the field is the world. As for the fine seed, these are the sons of the Kingdom, but the weeds are the sons of the wicked one, 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the Devil. The harvest is a conclusion of a system of things, and the reapers are angels. 40 Therefore, just as the weeds are collected and burned with fire, so it will be in the conclusion of the system of things. 41 The Son of man will send his angels, and they will collect out from his Kingdom all things that cause stumbling and people who practice lawlessness, 42 and they will pitch them into the fiery furnace. There is where their weeping and the gnashing of their teeth will be. 43 At that time the righteous ones will shine as brightly as the sun in the Kingdom of their Father. Let the one who has ears listen.” (NWT)

We understand that we are now living the "conclusion of a system of things" that Jesus spoke about

We also know that a great apostasy took place  because  of Paul’s words at Acts 20:29,30 “I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.” (NWT)  and, also at 1 Timothy 4:1-3 “However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth”

It is our understanding from Bible prophecy that the period of apostasy ended in 1914. Bible truths were starting to become clearly understood, and these stood out from the rest of the "weeds" (apostate teachers). If you want to know all the details then I or another JW will have to spend some time going through the various prophecies. All the information needed is in the Bible.  We understand that the churches took no notice of the prophecies that lead to the start of the "conclusion of a system of things". Only a small group of individuals were awake enough to discern that beginning of Christ's "presence".

That is about as “simple” as I know how to answer the questions you asked.  I apologise if my thoughts  are hard to follow, but I do hope you were able to make some sense of it

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.