Jehovah`s Witness/Prayer

Question
Can a Jehovah Witness go to a householder's home on request to having a meeting & prayer with a householder's family because the householder just bought a new house?? The householder bought a new house recently and wanted someone to do a ceremony prayer??

Answer
Hello and thank you for writing,

True Christians would not do a ceremony meeting or prayer in regards to someone who moved into a new house.  Those are usually done in regards to blessing the house or keeping it safe from spirits of ones who have died, to keep them safe, etc. which boils down to superstitions.

Many people in the world today are plagued by fear, they fear the unknown, they fear death, and many other things.  One lie that Satan uses fuels the basis for superstition.  That lie is that the soul survives the death of the body and can come back and affect the lives of the living.

But the Bible tells us, "As for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all.” It further states that "there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom" after one dies. (Ecc. 9:5,10)

Fear and uncertainty may drive people to become superstitious. Christians, however, shun superstition. They do not fear man, Jehovah is their support. (Psalm 6:4-10) And they are not uncertain about the future, they know Jehovah’s revealed purposes and have no doubt that "to time indefinite the very counsel of Jehovah will stand." (Psalm 33:11) Bringing our lives into harmony with Jehovah’s counsel ensures a happy, long-term future.

<<<Quote>>>

“Something Detestable to Jehovah”

Many individuals have chosen to believe Satan’s lies. Yet, years ago, God gave his people the Israelites clear direction on the matter. “There should not be found in you anyone,” his Word says, “who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah.”—Deuteronomy 18:10-12.

Sadly, the Israelites did not always heed this warning. For example, in the days of the prophet Isaiah, some believed that a good crop depended on appeasing “the god of Good Luck”—a superstitious belief that resulted in dire consequences. They lost Jehovah’s favor and blessing.—Isaiah 65:11, 12.

Jehovah’s attitude toward superstition did not change with the coming of Christianity. The apostle Paul urged superstitious people in the city of Lystra “to turn from these vain things [“vanities,” or “superstitions,” The Emphatic Diaglott] to the living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all the things in them.”—Acts 14:15.

<<<End Quote>>>

Hope that helps

Sister T

jw.org
tv.jw.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T