Jehovah`s Witness/Two questions for you.

QUESTION: Greetings Brother in the name of our Lord

I know we must follow the Lord in everything we do. But my first question to you; what can we actually learn from the example of Jesus?

My second qestion; Some preachers say, that its dangerous to rely only on ourselves. What are your thoughts onm this?

Thanking you in advance. Ever since you have been on the panel, I have enjoyed your imput into answers you have given.

Have a blessed day,

ANSWER: Hi, Phil. These are a couple of very interesting questions.

I really like the first one, and there is lot we can learn from Jesus’ example. Here are a few examples from the Bible, in different aspects of his life, and these should give you an idea of what to look for when you are reading about his earthly life and ministry in the Bible. The following is an excerpt from the December 1, 2008 issue of the Watchtower , pages 4—6, from an article entitled Jesus — The Perfect Model to Follow.

Jesus was balanced. Though Jesus said he had “nowhere to lay down his head,” he did not practice or advocate an austere lifestyle. (Matthew 8:20) He attended banquets. (Luke 5:29) His first recorded miracle—changing water into fine wine at a wedding feast—shows that he was not antisocial or an ascetic. (John 2:1-11) Yet, Jesus made clear what was most important to him. He said: “My food is for me to do the will of him that sent me and to finish his work.”—John 4:34.

Have you analyzed your life to see how you can balance your material and spiritual pursuits?  

Jesus was approachable. The Bible portrays Jesus as a man who was warm and affable. He was not annoyed when people approached him with problems or perplexing questions. On one occasion when a crowd surrounded him, a woman who had been suffering from an affliction for 12 years touched his garment, hoping to get relief. He did not rebuff her for her seemingly presumptuous act but kindly said: “Daughter, your faith has made you well.” (Mark 5:25-34) Children too were comfortable in his company, without fear of being ignored. (Mark 10:13-16) His dealings with his disciples were marked by open, friendly conversations. They did not hesitate to draw close to him.—Mark 6:30-32.

How freely do others approach you?  

He was empathetic and compassionate. One of Jesus’ greatest virtues was his ability to put himself in the place of others, to share their feelings, and to respond with helpful action. The apostle John relates that when Jesus saw Mary weeping over the death of her brother, Lazarus, Jesus “groaned in the spirit and became troubled” and “gave way to tears.” Onlookers could easily perceive the great affection Jesus felt for that family, an affection that he was not ashamed to manifest openly. And what compassion he showed when he then brought his friend back to life!—John 11:33-44.

On another occasion, a man suffering from leprosy—a dreadful disease that made him live in isolation—begged Jesus: “Lord, if you just want to, you can make me clean.” Jesus’ response was truly heartwarming: “Stretching out his hand, he touched him, saying: ‘I want to. Be made clean.’” (Matthew 8:2, 3) Jesus did not cure people simply to fulfill prophecy. He wanted to wipe away their tears. Everything he did was governed by one of his most often remembered sayings: “Just as you want men to do to you, do the same way to them.”—Luke 6:31.

Can your compassion for others be seen in your deeds?  

Jesus was understanding and discerning. Although he was a man who committed no error, Jesus never expected perfection of others or assumed an air of superiority; nor did he act with a lack of understanding. Once, a woman “known in the city to be a sinner” showed her faith and appreciation by washing Jesus’ feet with her tears. Jesus allowed her to do so, to the surprise of his host, who judged her harshly. Understanding her sincerity, Jesus did not condemn the woman for her sins. Rather, he said: “Your faith has saved you; go your way in peace.” As a result of Jesus’ warm response, that woman was very likely moved to abandon her former way of life.—Luke 7:37-50.

Are you known for being quick to commend and slow to condemn?  

He was impartial and respectful. Perhaps because of a certain affinity of personalities and a possible family connection, Jesus had special affection for his disciple John. Nevertheless, he did not show any partiality toward him, or favor him over the other disciples. (John 13:23) In fact, when John and his sibling James asked for privileged positions in God’s Kingdom, Jesus answered: “This sitting down at my right or at my left is not mine to give.”—Mark 10:35-40.

Jesus was always respectful to others. He did not share in the prejudices of the people in his day. For example, women were commonly treated as inferior to men. Yet, Jesus accorded women due dignity. The first time that he openly declared himself to be the Messiah, it was to a woman who was not a Jew but a Samaritan, whom the Jews in general would disdain, much less greet. (John 4:7-26) And it was to women that Jesus granted the privilege of being the first witnesses of his resurrection.—Matthew 28:9, 10.

Are you fair-minded in your dealings with people of a different race, gender, language, or nationality?  

He was a dutiful son and brother. Apparently, Jesus’ adoptive father, Joseph, died when Jesus was still a youth. Most likely, Jesus supported his mother and his younger brothers and sisters by working as a carpenter. (Mark 6:3) During his last moments of life, he entrusted his mother to the care of his disciple John.—John 19:26, 27.

Can you imitate Jesus by your assuming family responsibilities as he did?  

Jesus was a true friend. As a friend, Jesus was outstanding. How so? He did not reject his friends just because they made mistakes, even the same mistakes repeatedly. His disciples did not always act as he would have liked. But he proved himself their friend by concentrating on their good qualities rather than imputing bad motives to them. (Mark 9:33-35; Luke 22:24-27) While not imposing his viewpoints on them, he invited them to express themselves freely.—Matthew 16:13-15.

Above all, Jesus loved his friends. (John 13:1) To what extent? He said: “No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his soul in behalf of his friends.” (John 15:13) Could anyone offer his friends something more valuable than his own life?

Do you remain a friend even when others irritate or offend you?  

He was courageous and manly. Jesus was far different from the weak, passive person portrayed by some artists. The Gospels present him as a strong, vigorous man. Twice, Jesus drove merchants, with their goods, from the temple. (Mark 11:15-17; John 2:14-17) When a mob came to arrest “Jesus the Nazarene,” he courageously stepped forward to identify himself and to protect his disciples, declaring firmly: “I am he. If, therefore, it is I you are looking for, let these go.” (John 18:4-9) It is no wonder that when Pontius Pilate saw Jesus’ courage under arrest and mistreatment, he declared: “Look! The man!”—John 19:4, 5.

Do you act decisively and courageously when you see what you must do?  

These and other outstanding qualities make Jesus the perfect model for us. If we allow ourselves to be influenced by his conduct, we will be better and happier people. It is for this reason that the apostle Peter urged Christians to follow Jesus’ steps closely. (1 Peter 2:21 ) Do you try to follow Jesus’ steps as closely as possible?

Question 2: Most of the time I do not agree with the preachers, but in this case I do. As to the reason why, my thoughts on this are that we ought to see what Jehovah’s thoughts are, as recorded in the inspired written Word. Below are some passages emphasizing this point:

“Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway.” (Psalm 119:105)  

“Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5, 6)  

“He that is trusting in his own heart is stupid, but he that is walking in wisdom is the one that will escape.” (Proverbs 28:26)  

“I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.” (Jeremiah 10:23)  

“The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9)  

Acts 8:30, 31 shows the attitude we need: “Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: ‘Do you actually know what you are reading?’ He said: ‘Really, how could I ever do so, unless someone guided me?’ And he entreated Philip to get on and sit down with him.”

Jehovah is far wiser than we are, and so his advice is reliable, and not only that, he has observed all human history, and therefore knows from experience what works and what doesn’t. The Bible is full of accounts of both people who did things Jehovah’s way and were successful; and of those who didn’t listen to him resulting in all kinds of trouble. And remember that everything that he tells us is for our good.

“This is what Jehovah says, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel: ‘I, Jehovah, am your God, The One teaching you to benefit yourself, The One guiding you in the way you should walk. If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea .’” — Isaiah 48:17, 18 .

Last but not least I want to thank you for your kind words - they are encouraging to me. I hope this answers your questions; it is rather long.

QUESTION: Abdijah,
No follow-up question but a big "thank you."There is no doubt from your scriptural answers as well as the scriptural answers that other Jw's give that God is blessing you abundantly. Go to any of the other religions that are listed on this forum and see what their answers are to Bible questions and you will plainly see that the JW's are far superior in their answers. To me, this is a true indication that God has poured out His Holy Spirit on the JW's. Please, continue to enlighten the good folks that are frequent viewers of AllExperts. Again, thank you for going into such detail with your anwser.

Thank you again for your kind words. We could not do it without the help provided by Jehovah's holy spirit, and the Faithful & Discreet Slave.

I know you know about our website
Have you seen our new broadcasting site?

Jehovah`s Witness

I will try to answer any question that can be answered from the Bible. I cannot answer questions about personal experiences someone may have had,as I was not there. Sometimes these are true; sometimes they are not. It is not my place to speak of that of which I have no knowledge.

I have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses since mid-1979. I actually studied for several years before that, and was rather critical. However, while that is not the wisest course, it did give me insight into the thinking of opposers of true worship.

The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Newspapers published by Gulf Coast Media.

In addition to basic education, and some work-related college level courses, I have been on the Theocratic Ministry School since 1978. I have also attended a number of sessions of the Kingdom Ministry School.

My greatest honor is to be a servant of the Most High God, Jehovah, and a preacher of the Good News of his Kingdom under Christ Jesus.