Jehovah`s Witness/Satan

Question
Hello Brother D,
 In the world today, I have heard that Satan is the person that is in charge. If that is the case and I am not doubting it for one minute; how does he go about influencing the way people think? Is it by telepathy or what?

Thank you,
Phil

Answer
Hi Phil,

Satan is insidious when influencing mankind towards his pleasure and our destruction. The Bible makes it plain that Satan the Devil is an accomplished deceiver, and he is the ruler of this system. (1 Tim. 2:14)

(1 John 5:19) 19 We know that we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one. . .

The Bible says that “Each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire,” writes the disciple James. “Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death.” (James 1:14, 15) In an attempt to break our attachment to God, Satan targets the source of our desires—our heart.
(Please read) Jeremiah 17:9

By what means does Satan make our heart his target? “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one,” states the Bible. Satan’s weapons include “the things in the world.”  Over thousands of years, the Devil has carefully crafted the environment surrounding us. Since we live in this world, we need to guard against his subtle tactics.—John 17:15.

1 John 2:15-17 15 Do not love either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but the one who does the will of God remains forever.

Satan uses methods designed to corrupt the desires of the heart. The apostle John identifies three enticements that Satan employs: (1) “the desire of the flesh,” (2) “the desire of the eyes,” and (3) “the showy display of one’s means of life.” Satan used them to tempt Jesus in the wilderness. Having had years of practice using such traps, Satan today uses them effectively, adapting his approach to each person’s inclinations. Before considering measures we can take to protect ourselves in this regard, let us see how the Devil successfully used certain enticements with Eve but unsuccessfully with the Son of God.

Humans have a fundamental requirement for sustaining the body—the need for food. The Creator designed the earth to produce food bountifully. Satan may try to appeal to the natural desire for food in an effort to turn us away from doing God’s will. Consider how he did that with Eve. (Read Genesis 3:1-6.) Satan told Eve that she could eat of the fruit of “the tree of the knowledge of good and bad” without having to die, saying that on the day of her eating from it, she would be like God. (Gen. 2:9) The Devil thus insinuated that Eve did not need to be obedient to God in order to live. Once the idea was planted in Eve’s mind, she had two options: She could reject the idea, or she could keep dwelling on it, allowing her desire for the fruit to grow. Despite the fact that all the other trees of the garden were at her disposal, she chose to dwell on what Satan had said concerning the tree in the middle of the garden, and she “began taking of its fruit and eating it.” Satan thus created within her a desire for something that was forbidden by her Creator.

Satan used the same tactic when he tried to tempt Jesus in the wilderness. After Jesus had fasted for 40 days and 40 nights, Satan attempted to appeal to Jesus’ desire for food. “If you are a son of God,” said Satan, “tell this stone to become a loaf of bread.” (Luke 4:1-3) Jesus had two options: He could choose not to use his miraculous power to satisfy the need for food, or he could choose to use it. Jesus knew that he should not use such power for selfish purposes. Though he was hungry, satisfying the hunger did not take priority over maintaining his relationship with Jehovah. “It is written,” Jesus replied, “‘Man must not live by bread alone but by everything proceeding from Jehovah’s mouth.’”—Luke 4:4

The apostle John also mentioned “the desire of the eyes” as an enticement. The expression suggests that one can begin desiring something by simply looking at it. In the case of Eve, Satan appealed to this desire, saying: “Your eyes are bound to be opened.” The more Eve looked at it, the more the forbidden fruit became attractive to her. Eve saw that the tree “was something to be longed for to the eyes.”
What about in Jesus’ case? Satan “showed [Jesus] all the kingdoms of the inhabited earth in an instant of time; and the Devil said to him: ‘I will give you all this authority and the glory of them.’” (Luke 4:5, 6) Jesus would not with his literal eyes see all the kingdoms in an instant, but Satan must have felt that the glory of these kingdoms, as presented in a vision, would hold some attraction for Jesus. Shamelessly, Satan suggested: “If you do an act of worship before me, it will all be yours.” (Luke 4:7) In no way did Jesus want to be the kind of person Satan wanted him to be. His response was immediate. He said: “It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”—Luke 4:8.

In citing the things of the world, John mentioned “the showy display of one’s means of life.” When Adam and Eve were the only humans on earth, they could of course not make a ‘showy display of their means of life’ before other people. But they did manifest pride. When tempting Eve, Satan insinuated that God withheld something wonderful from her. The Devil told her that in the very day of her eating from “the tree of the knowledge of good and bad,” she was “bound to be like God, knowing good and bad.” (Gen. 2:17; 3:5) Satan thus suggested that Eve could gain independence from Jehovah. Pride was apparently a factor that caused her to accept the lie. She partook of the forbidden fruit, believing that she would not really die. How wrong she was!

In contrast with Eve, what a wonderful example of humility Jesus set! Satan tried to tempt him in another way, but Jesus rejected even the very thought of doing something dramatic that would put God to the test. That would have been an act of pride! Instead, Jesus’ reply was clear and direct: “It is said, ‘You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.’”—Read Luke 4:9-12.

Basically everything in this world that would displace our worship of Jehovah is considered a wrong or bad influence. Satan uses commercialism, false religion, materialism, and independency from Jehovah. I hope this was able to answer your question. Should you need more clarification, please go to the WWW.JW.ORG for further information.

Thank you,
D

Jehovah`s Witness

Dr. DDD,M.S.,Psy.D, Court Officer