Jehovah`s Witness/2 Corinthians

Question
Hello Sister T,
I hope all is well with you and your spiritual brothers and sisters around the world.
Could you explain the meaning of 2 Corinthians 4: 16,17? Thank you ever so much.

Have a blessed day.

Answer
Hello and thank you for writing!

I hope all is well with you too....Jehovah is amazing and he continues to show his strength in behalf of those whose hearts are complete towards him (2 Chron 16:9).  It's more than just us saying that we have found the true religion, it's the undeniable evidence that shows it and proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt.  

2 Corinthians 4:16,17 "Therefore, we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day. 17 For though the tribulation is momentary and light, it works out for us a glory that is of more and more surpassing greatness and is everlasting;"

This scripture is not telling us that we have two separate people living in us, one on the outside and one on the inside or some separate entity or soul that lives in us.  It's simply speaking about the person we are, who we as individuals are, the person we become as we learn and experience life, our likes, dislikes, emotional make up, etc all point to who we are as a person, this is the "man (or woman) we are inside".  

This scripture here at Ephesians helps us to understand clearer: Eph. 4:22-24 "You were taught to put away the old personality that conforms to your former course of conduct and that is being corrupted according to its deceptive desires. 23 And you should continue to be made new in your dominant mental attitude, 24 and should put on the new personality that was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty."

Our "dominant mental attitude" is the person we are on the inside.

Because of inherited sin we grow old and die.  Yet, people do not want to die, and as people grow older and older, they can no longer do the things they use to do.  Even though they may want to because who they are as a person hasn't changed, yet the body breaking down means you can't do what you use to could do, your body just won't let you.

We see older ones many times are feeling down because they still love to do the things they could do when they were younger and their bodies were fit, but now their bodies are worn out and frail, yet the desire is still there but they just are not able to any longer because our bodies are wasting away.  But as we learn about the promises that Jehovah has in store for mankind, to undo what Adam took away from us, the "person we are" is renewed from day to day because we have that glorious hope of everlasting life.

This scripture is encouragement for ones who have been preaching during their lifetime awaiting the promises and keeping with Jesus' command at Matt 28:19,20 to make disciples of people, teaching them all the things he commanded.   Even though they are older, they do not give up because this life and all the tribulation that goes along with living in Satan's system is temporary or momentary and light in comparison with what is in store for them.  As it brings out earlier in that same chapter of 2 Cor. 4 at vs. 1, "since we have this ministry through the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up"

We were not originally created to die and is why no one wants to, as Jehovah put eternity in our hearts

Ecc 3:11 "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has even put eternity in their heart;..."

See Satan would love for us to give up on obeying Jehovah because we grow old and our bodies tired.  We have God's reassurance at Matt 24:13, "But the one who has endured to the end will be saved."  So we do not give up....

This also helps us to see that "once saved always saved" is not a Bible teaching, because what would be the point in this scripture of Paul telling older ones to not give up if they were already saved?  It would be a pointless scripture if the Bible taught once saved always saved, but since that is not taught in the Bible, we see Paul admonishing the older ones who still have the desire to keep going, yet their bodies are frail to not give up on their ministry or in obeying God regardless of what Satan throws in the way.  Why?

He tells here, 2 Cor 4:7-9  "However, we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the power beyond what is normal may be God’s and not from us. 8 We are hard-pressed in every way, but not cramped beyond movement; we are perplexed, but not absolutely with no way out; 9 we are persecuted, but not abandoned; we are knocked down, but not destroyed."

If Satan and his hordes had their way, all Jehovah's people would be annihilated, but Jehovah shows his strength in our weaknesses.  Because without Jehovah backing us, none of what we have accomplished as a people would be possible.  We are constantly attacked by opposers even ones who have swore they'd wipe us out completely.  Yet, we are still here, and not only are we here but our increase has been phenomenal.  The person we are inside is made new each time we observe the marvelous works that our Father Jehovah through his son Jesus has done in our behalf, the world over!  There is no denying that solid evidence.

Hope this helps

follow up if needed

Sister T

jw.org
tv.jw.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T