Jehovah`s Witness/Resurrection

Question
Was Jesus resurrection after three full days or parts of three days? Can you name the days, like the day he died and the day he was Resurrected?

Tony

Answer
Hello, Anthony.  And thank you for writing with your question.

The question you have asked, is one that there is disagreement on, even among true Christians.  I don't mind sharing with you the day that I believe best fits the evidence, and also, the evidence for the other days, as well.

Basically, there are 3 days that various Christians hold to, as the day in which Jesus was crucified.....

1.  Wednesday

2.  Thursday

3.  Friday

Friday is the day that TRADITION tells us that He died, and the day that is most commonly held by most Christians.  That is not my view.  However, I do not believe this is an issue that should EVER be a point of contention among Christians, or one that brethren should fall out over.  The most important issue is not what day He died, but rather, THAT He died.  The day of His death is an interesting topic to research, but is not vital to salvation.

Each one of the days has its own set of points, that its proponents use to "prove" that they have the correct day.  That being said, I believe that the WEAKEST of the 3 is Friday, the evidence for Thursday is stronger, and the evidence for Wednesday is the strongest.  So, I hold to Jesus' crucifixion taking place on Wednesday, although Thursday has some possible merit, as well.

The problem with Friday, is this passage of Scripture....

Matthew 12:40-  "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

If you look at that verse from a common-sense perspective, there is NO possible way to get 3 days AND 3 nights, squeezed into Friday-Sunday.  Friday proponents have tried to get around this obvious issue, by claiming that Jews reckoned ANY part of a day (even 1 minute), as a "day and a night".  This explanation simply isn't very satisfying.  

Furthermore, there is simply no good reason to place the crucifixion on Friday.  Some try to say it must've been Friday, because it was the day before the Sabbath, which was on Saturday.  However, this was not the weekly Sabbath.  In fact, John 19:31 makes it clear that this was a different Sabbath....

John 19:31-  "The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,)"

The term "high day", would not have been used to simply describe the weekly Sabbath.  This was a special Sabbath....In this case, the Passover Sabbath.  

Beyond that, commonly held tradition is pretty much the main reason that so many Christians hold to Friday.

And let me also state that, while Jesus' death and bodily resurrection are Scriptural facts, there is nothing definitive in Scripture, that tells us which day they occurred on.  In fact, Jesus could have risen anytime around 6:00 p.m. or thereafter, on Saturday night.  By the time we have any recorded events in the Bible happening on Sunday morning, Jesus had already bodily risen from the tomb.  We don't know what time this occurred.

I will now give you links for all 3 points of view, and there are others available, as well.  My position is Wednesday, although I cannot rule out Thursday, either.  But I want to give you the option of studying all 3 views, and determining for yourself, which one you believe most fits the Scriptural accounts.

In support of a Friday crucifixion….

http://www.letusreason.org/doct10.htm

In support of a Thursday crucifixion….

http://www.greatpreachers.org/jesus_death.html

In support of a Wednesday crucifixion….

http://www.rapturechrist.com/did_christ_die_on_friday.htm

Again, this is not an issue that I would want to see Christians get into a heated argument about.  The most important 2 events in history, are the death and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.  The day they occurred, is not what matters.  What we do with His death and resurrection in our own lives, does matter.

I hope this has helped.  Take care, and have a great day.

Derrick

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland