Jehovah`s Witness/Overlapping generations??

Richard wrote at 2014-02-23 00:16:12
It is dangerous to put words in the mouth of Jesus.  By saying that anyone "evidently meant" something is quite simply speculation.  Making matters worse, they paint themselves as exclusively having "spiritual understanding" because they see something that clearly only exists in their minds.  

Jay wrote at 2014-02-24 18:27:04
I agree with Richard.  Nothing definitve in this answer.

The following is just conjecture:  "explanation seemed reasonable" (appeared to be but was not proven), "the apostles would no doubt have understood" (assumption) "This suggests that..." (but doesn't prove that), "It usually refers to..." (but not always), "Jesus evidently meant..." (who presumes to know the thoughts of Jesus?), "appears to be very specific" (but not all things are as they appear.  Example, "Beware of false prophets which come to you in sheep's clothing...").

And Who are "the modern-day John class"?  If not in this class, what other classes are there?

Rob wrote at 2014-02-25 09:20:41
All they have left is speculation. They twist and change what they once claimed to something else, and then they must also make themselves believe this twisting to try and justify why they were wrong in the first place.  

Brenton wrote at 2014-02-28 01:43:50
es it is dangerous to put words into the mouth of others especially Jesus. That is not what we have done.

The word generation can have different meanings  From the web site

1)The entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time -  

2)the term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth of parents and the birth of their off spring.

3)a group of individuals, most of whom are the same approximateage, having similar ideas, problems, attitudes, etc. Compare Beat Generation, Lost Generation.

4)a group of individuals belonging to a specific category at the same time: Chaplin belonged to the generation of silent-screenstars.

5)a single step in natural descent, as of human beings, animals, or plants.

6)a form, type, class, etc., of objects existing at the same timeand having many similarities or developed from a commonmodel or ancestor (often used in combination): a new generationof anticancer drugs; a third-generation phone.

That web site gives another 8 definitions.

From  we have the following definitions

Generation is the act of producing offspring. In kinship terminology, it is a structural term designating the parent-child relationship. It is also known as biogenesis, reproduction, or procreation in the biological sciences. The term is also often used synonymously with cohort in social science; under this formulation the term means "people within a delineated population who experience the same significant events within a given period of time ." Generation in this sense of birth cohort, also known as a "social generation," is widely used in popular culture, and has been the basis for much social analysis. Serious analysis of generations began in the century, emerging from an increasing awareness of the possibility of permanent social change and the idea of youthful rebellion against the established social order. Some analysts believe that a generation is one of the fundamental social categories in a society, while others view its importance as being overshadowed by other factors such as class, gender, race, education and so on.

It seems the definition now understood by the WTS is from the following “The term is also often used synonymously with cohort in social science; under this formulation the term means "people within a delineated population who experience the same significant events within a given period of time. as well as what is reflected in definitions 3 and 4 from that dictionary in summary  “a group of individuals most most of whom are the same approximate age,having similar ideas,

problems,attitudes,....a group of individuals belonging to a specific category at the same time” 

The category of time that they belong to is the time of the end, the attitudes and similar ideas they have is being the last of the anointed that live during the time of the end  spearheading the proclaiming of Gods incoming government under the Kingship of his son Jesus .

The watchtowers explained just why it was felt that the word generation as used by Jesus in Matthew 24 was updated from – 1) “The entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time” to its current definition.  It is up to each individual to accept the possibility of that definition or not or maybe there is a different time period involved that just is not clear yet.  IN any matter it is of no concern to us.  Most balanced JWs do not hold onto such definitions as being absolute truth abut just as they are “possible explanations” of what Jesus was saying.  Only AFTER the completion of the prophecies will he have a full understanding as to what was really meant by him

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.