Jehovah`s Witness/Incest

Good day sir!

I would like to ask some questions about the occurrence of incestuous relationship especially the first cousin marriages in a particular place.

1. Why is there a tendency for a person to have sexual relationship with his/her relative?
2. Does incestuous relationship affects the emotional development of the couple? How?
3.What are the psychological factors why incestuous relationship happens in a particular place?
4. Why incest becomes prevalent?
5. What roles does Psychology play in the formation of incestuous relationship?
6. What could be the roots on why incestuous relationship happens?
7. What could be the reasons why they choose to be with someone who is a member of their family?
8. What are the consequences that incest couples could have?

Thank you very much.

Hello, Christian.  Thank you for writing.

I honestly am not a psychologist, and am not going to be able to answer all of these questions for you.  This is a category for the topic of discussing Jehovah's Witness doctrine and how it compares with the Bible, and that is generally what I try to stick to doing.  As for topics such as this one that are not related to JW teaching, I am not specialized in discussing the "how" or the "why" of incestuous relationships.

Here in the USA (I see you are from another country), there are currently 20 States that allow marriage between first cousins, with 6 more allowing it under certain circumstances.  Meaning, the other 24 do not allow it.  

I believe, in reading your list of questions, that questions 3-7, are basically the same question, although worded slightly different.

As for the other 3 questions, you ask....

"Why is there a tendency for a person to have sexual relationship with his/her relative?"

I have no idea why such a tendency would exist, and yes, I live in a State where it is legal.  I personally do not care for the idea of marrying a relative.  Never thought about it...never wanted to.  Why anybody would, is a mystery to me.  

"Does incestuous relationship affects the emotional development of the couple? How?"

Again, I am not a psychiatrist, and I am not sure what information in my profile indicated that I am.  But I would imagine that incestuous marriages, would have an emotional effect on the couple.  The stigma associated with it, would likely bring them a sense of shame.  Also, it could have an adverse affect on their relationship with other members of the family who disapprove of the marriage.

"What are the consequences that incest couples could have?"

Well, this is a topic that I have never really been inclined to study in any depth, but what I have read on the subject would indicate that there is a higher incidence of disease in any children born, and also, the higher potential for mental disorders, as well.  Beyond that, there isn't much more I can tell you.

Just curious....How did you decide to pick the JW category, to ask this question, anyway?

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.