Jehovah`s Witness/Do miracles require faith or no faith?

Jesus says that if you have faith, you can even move mountains. This is clearly a literal passage, nothing indicates that He speaks figuratively. So here we need faith.

But also we read that miracles were and are done for the unbelievers, so that they might believe.

So is it faith or no faith?

Hello, Christaras.

Yes, the passage is literal, in the sense that Jesus is clearly showing that faith is an important element in our prayers being answered.  The obvious point of the passage, is that faith is key for answered prayer.  After all, why would we pray to God for an answer, while not believing that He can, or will, answer the prayer?

James 1:5-7-  "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."

So according to the above passage, we do not have the right to expect God to answer our prayers (in this case, a prayer for wisdom), if we do not trust in Him to do so.  However, that does not mean that He CAN'T choose to...It simply means we do not have the right to expect Him to, apart from faith in Him.

You ask...."But also we read that miracles were and are done for the unbelievers, so that they might believe.

So is it faith or no faith?"  

There is no contradiction here.  Believers in Christ are instructed to have faith, while God can still certainly do something in the life of an unbeliever, in order to show Himself to that person, and bring them TO faith in Christ.

The simple fact is....Miracles are done at the discretion of Almighty God, whenever and however He chooses to perform them.  Some teach that God no longer works miracles in any situations.  That is unbiblical hogwash.  Sometimes God works a miracle, and sometimes He chooses not to intervene in a given situation.  I have seen people with cancer be healed in answer to prayer.  I have also seen people of strong faith, die from cancer.  We pray for a miracle, and if God does it, we glorify Him for it.  If He chooses not to, we trust Him anyway.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.