Jehovah`s Witness/Robert Countess

A concerned stranger wrote at 2015-11-02 22:50:17
You are a self-proclaimed "self taught" Greek student, yet you are correcting a Greek Scholar?  I would call that a bit presumptuous.  Learning the subtleties of Ancient Greek Grammar and syntax are not the same as disagreeing with a person's interpretation of a passage of scripture.  Greek grammatical rules are what they are.  Whether a scholar is secular, or religious, you won't find too many of them agreeing with the JW "rules" of Greek grammar.  Your religion makes up grammatical rules to support your doctrines.  Genuine Christians don't come to the scriptures trying to support their ideas.  They go to the scriptures and align with the scriptures.  Newer translations of the Bible are based on better, earlier, Greek manuscripts than some of the older translations of the Bible.  This was an attempt to get closer to the meaning of the original texts.  Some of the older manuscripts had some errors that crept in from the Latin Vulgate and Erasmus's third edition of his Greek New Testament.  To correct these textual variants, "better" manuscripts were used to fix the problems.  Not only is Jesus the eternal Son of God, but you don't get to Heaven by earning your salvation.  You obtain salvation by faith, through grace.  According to the Book of James, works are an indication that you have genuine faith.  Read Matthew 13.  Read Matthew 7.  Read Galatians 5.  Read Romans 3-8.  I am praying for you.  It is tragic when people believe in an argument rather than God, he result is that you believe in "another" Gospel.  If you believe in a Gospel other than the one that was taught, in the first Century, but the apostles, you will be damned.  If you don't abide in Christ and bear the fruits of salvation, you will be damned.  Get away from false teachers and just read the Bible for yourself.  Try to get a Bible based on the earliest texts and put your New World Translation in the trash, where it belongs.  I'm not trying to be judgmental.  I am showing you respect by telling you the truth.  I am loving you enough to tell you the truth...

Brenton wrote at 2016-01-10 07:32:50
Hello “A concerned stranger” and thank you for your input. It would be nice if you wrote this as a question so that I can respnd ti to properly. I actually agree with some of what you have written. Greek syntax rules are just that rules that must be followed. That is what I am arguing for in the post above. Getting the rules correct and consistently.

You are correct in that we should “ go to the scriptures and align with the scriptures.” There is a need as you have pointed out to have an accurate translation so that we can align with it. When a translation is not accurate our alignment will also not be accurate.

The NWT translation committee never made up any  “grammatical rules to support (our) doctrines”. You have been fed wrong information on that.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.