Jehovah`s Witness/Jehovah Face to Face

Question
Was Jehovah, the Almighty God, really face to face with anyone and has any man ever seen him?

The Bible has scriptures that speak of Jehovah speaking face to face with Moses, the Israelites, Abraham and others.

Exodus 34:10 "But there has never again arisen a prophet in Israel like Moses, whom Jehovah knew face-to-face."

Exodus 33:11 "Jehovah spoke to Moses face-to-face, just as one man would speak to another man....."

Exodus 3:6 "He went on to say: “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Then Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at the true God."

Deut. 5:1, 4,5 "Moses then summoned all Israel and said to them: “Hear, O Israel,...."  4 Jehovah spoke face-to-face with you in the mountain, out of the fire. 5 I was standing between Jehovah and you at that time to convey to you the word of Jehovah, for you were afraid because of the fire and did not go up the mountain."

Deut. 9:10 "Then Jehovah gave me the two tablets of stone written on with God’s finger, and on them were all the words that Jehovah had spoken to you on the mountain out of the fire in the day of the assembly."

Gen 18:1-3 "Afterward, Jehovah appeared to him among the big trees of Mam′re while he was sitting at the entrance of the tent during the hottest part of the day. 2 He looked up and saw three men standing some distance from him. When he saw them, he ran from the entrance of the tent to meet them, and he bowed down to the ground. 3 Then he said: “Jehovah, if I have found favor in your eyes, please do not pass by your servant."

So here it seems that Jehovah is face to face with Moses, the Israelites, and Abraham.  But is it Jehovah or is it a representative that Jehovah sent to deliver his messages?  Since the Bible does not contradict itself, then we have to let scripture interpret scripture.  That way we will know what is really going on when we see verses like these.

If Moses was actually seeing Jehovah face to face why would Moses then ask to see Jehovah's glory so that he would know that Jehovah was really with them, if he actually SAW him he wouldn't need to even ask that.  Let's read:

Exodus 33:16 "How will it be known that I have found favor in your eyes, I and your people? Is it not by your going along with us, so that I and your people will be distinguished from every other people on the face of the earth?”

Exodus 33:18 "Then he said: “Please show me your glory.”

Exoduse 33:19,20 "But he said: “I will make all my goodness pass before your face, and I will declare before you the name of Jehovah; and I will favor the one whom I favor, and I will show mercy to the one to whom I show mercy.” 20 But he added: “You cannot see my face, for no man can see me and live.”

So obviously Moses did not see Jehovah's face, as Jehovah, who cannot lie (Titus 1:2; Heb 6:18) said, YOU CANNOT SEE MY FACE, FOR NO MAN CAN SEE ME AND LIVE!

Since the Bible says, face to face in one verse and in another it says he can't see his face.  What is going on?

Answer
Well again, letting scripture interpret scripture, the Bible helps us to see that Jehovah sent angels to relay messages for him.  Since the message was from Jehovah and did not originate from the angel, then it can rightly be said it's Jehovah speaking.  Just as the example of a secretary who relays messages from her boss to others.  It's not the secretary words, but that of her boss.  Thus she is just relaying it. So it can rightly be said as coming directly from her boss.

The word "Angel" literally means "Messenger"  There's no point in Jehovah having messengers for ones who are already up there in heaven with him.  It's obvious and the Bible agrees that angels or messengers are sent on behalf of Jehovah to ones on earth.

How do we know that it was angels?  Let's read from the Bible:

Exodus 3:6 is quoted above, but if we read vs. 2 it tells us that it was an ANGEL speaking to Moses:

Exodus 3:2, "Then Jehovah’s angel appeared to him in a flame of fire in the midst of a thornbush....."  (also see Acts 7:30, 35)

Deut. 5:1, 4,5 is quoted above, but if we read Deut. 4:15 this lets us know that they did not see Jehovah face to face.

Deut. 4:15 "Therefore, watch yourselves closely—since you did not see any form on the day Jehovah spoke to you in Ho′reb out of the middle of the fire—"

Deut. 9:10 is quoted above, but if we read Acts 7:38, 53, & Gal. 3:19 we see that it was Angels who transmitted the laws to Moses.  Let's read:

Acts. 7:38, 53 "This is the one who came to be among the congregation in the wilderness with the angel who spoke to him on Mount Si′nai and with our forefathers, and he received living sacred pronouncements to give us.  53 you who received the Law as transmitted by angels but have not kept it.”

Gal 3:19 "Why, then, the Law? It was added to make transgressions manifest, until the offspring should arrive to whom the promise had been made; and it was transmitted through angels by the hand of a mediator."

Same with the three ANGELS that spoke to Abraham.  This helps us to see that ALL Three were representatives or messengers of Jehovah and not one was Jehovah himself, as they were three men standing there (Gen 18:2) and Jehovah is not a man (Num. 23:19) but is a Spirit (John 4:24 "God is a Spirit...") and no man can see him and live (Ex 33:20)   Because when Abraham is asking the angel as if speaking to Jehovah if he will destroy the cities if righteous ones are found there.  The other two angels went on to the city where Lot was at.  The Bible calls them angels (Gen. 19:1 "The two angels arrived at Sod′om by evening...")  Then when the two angels urged Lot to flee to the mountainous region, Lot replied as if speaking directly to Jehovah (Gen. 19:18 "Then Lot said to them: “Not there, please, Jehovah!" ) And the Angel replied as if he was Jehovah answering Lot, (Gen. 19:21,22) But we already know it was the two angels acting as spokesmen for Jehovah.  That's why when speaking even though the one angel stayed with Abraham and the other two angels went by Lot, Abraham and Lot are both speaking as if they are speaking directly to Jehovah.  But we know that it was angels.  So that helps us to see they were representing Jehovah, and it was not Jehovah himself. There are not 3 Jehovah's, the scripture says, it's only ONE Jehovah:

Deut. 6:4 "“Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah" (also Mark 12:29)  

So that helps people see that ANGELS (messengers) were used by Jehovah as his representatives and thereby the replies were Jehovah's replies supplied through his angelic ministers, as we can see from these scriptures that was what Jehovah used them for.  

Psalms 103:20,21 "Praise Jehovah, all you his angels, mighty in power, Who carry out his word, obeying his voice. 21 Praise Jehovah, all his armies, His ministers who do his will."  (Also Ps. 104:4: Heb. 1:14)

We have other scriptures that help us to see that angels were sent in representing Jehovah, they are his ministers and messengers.

Judges 6:11, 14 "Later Jehovah’s angel came and sat under the big tree...." 14 Jehovah faced him and said: “Go with the strength you have,...."

Read the whole account Judges 6:11-24 to see how it's an angel but it is being spoken and replied at times as if it was Jehovah himself.

The fact that it's angels and not Jehovah himself is reinforced by this scripture here:

1 Kings 8:27 "“But will God really dwell on the earth? Look! The heavens, yes, the heaven of the heavens, cannot contain you; how much less, then, this house that I have built!"

John also reinforces what Exodus 33:20 says, regarding no man can see God.

John 1:18 "No man has seen God at any time; ..."

And so does Jesus when he said at John 6:46 "Not that any man has seen the Father,...."

So there we have what the Bible says and it's clear, no man has ever seen Jehovah.  Now would one choose to believe the Bible or because of their dislike for Jehovah's Witnesses dismiss the undeniable Word of God.  When you let scripture interpret scripture you are able to get an accurate understanding of what is meant.

Since no man has ever seen Jehovah, as the Bible states, does that mean he's a mystery?  Does that make him unknowable or impersonal?  That will be explained next.

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T